Cd player or speakers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Cd player or speakers

I have an aftermarket cd player and speakers/sub. The cd player acts like it works but no sound come out. Is this the cd player, fuse or some wiring problem?
Jzelm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzelm10
I have an aftermarket cd player and speakers/sub. The cd player acts like it works but no sound come out. Is this the cd player, fuse or some wiring problem?
If the cd player still comes on, it's most likely not a fuse. I'd say most likely a wire came loose. Each speaker wire hooks to the back of the head unit and if they're not soldered can come loose. Though it's a bit weird all the speakers don't work... Have they worked before?
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babystang

If the cd player still comes on, it's most likely not a fuse. I'd say most likely a wire came loose. Each speaker wire hooks to the back of the head unit and if they're not soldered can come loose. Though it's a bit weird all the speakers don't work... Have they worked before?
Yes. I recently just bought this car and he told me they used to work. Would it just be smart to take it in to a audio place and have them look at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

Yes. I recently just bought this car and he told me they used to work. Would it just be smart to take it in to a audio place and have them look at it?
No! Ill tell you what to do after work here..
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness

No! Ill tell you what to do after work here..
Ok thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks!
Ok i have half an hour. Explain the problem fully. Do the speakers just not play at all? Or the subs?is the deck fully functional?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I know its silly, but check the stereo and make sure its not just some setting e.g. mute
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok i have half an hour. Explain the problem fully. Do the speakers just not play at all? Or the subs?is the deck fully functional?
Yeah the speakers don't play at all. The cd player reads CDs and the radio seems to work. The time goes so it looks like it plays. But nothing comes out.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah the speakers don't play at all. The cd player reads CDs and the radio seems to work. The time goes so it looks like it plays. But nothing comes out.
Ok look in the back of the deck first off. Make sure that all of the connections are connected. Firmly. Tug on them slightly and see if any are loose. Especially wiring harness that connects your Deck to the factory wires.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote:

Let me know how that goes.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok look in the back of the deck first off. Make sure that all of the connections are connected. Firmly. Tug on them slightly and see if any are loose. Especially wiring harness that connects your Deck to the factory wires.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Let me know how that goes.
I checked the back of the cd player and it looked and felt like there way no loose wires. I could not tell what wires were going to what back there. I am putting my cd player in from my old car in so I might just unhook everything and start over completely. I read that one 6 speaker systems you need an adapter. I think it has one but I'm not for sure. Is there a website I can see the adapters or diagram for the car?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I checked the back of the cd player and it looked and felt like there way no loose wires. I could not tell what wires were going to what back there. I am putting my cd player in from my old car in so I might just unhook everything and start over completely. I read that one 6 speaker systems you need an adapter. I think it has one but I'm not for sure. Is there a website I can see the adapters or diagram for the car?
I knew of a site that Just dealt with diagrams.. But i forgot it. I printed out a sheet though so ill find it when i get home from work and let ya know. Helped Great with my 96'. The previous dude had it ALL screwed up!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I knew of a site that Just dealt with diagrams.. But i forgot it. I printed out a sheet though so ill find it when i get home from work and let ya know. Helped Great with my 96'. The previous dude had it ALL screwed up!
What is weird it everything looks like it is hooked up no loose wires or connections. I noticed there was a - ground behind the cd player that wasn't to anything. Could this be the problem? I'm thinking about just unhooking everything and starting new. My cd player has outputs for 4 speaks but the car has 6. What do I need? Plus I'm going to hook my subs up to my amp. I know how to do that. Should I just add my other amp to the car speakers or put all the speakers to my radio? What's a bypass the factory amps thing and how do I know if I have one
Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Does it have factory speakers or aftermarket? Do you have tweeters with covers that say Mach 460 on them?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Does it have factory speakers or aftermarket? Do you have tweeters with covers that say Mach 460 on them?
Aftermarket.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Aftermarket.
Odds are that you don't have the factory amps any more. It doesn't look like you have an adaptor kit in there does it? It would have RCAs plugged in if there was an adaptor kit.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Odds are that you don't have the factory amps any more. It doesn't look like you have an adaptor kit in there does it? It would have RCAs plugged in if there was an adaptor kit.
Yes it has 2 sets of RCA plugs to the back of the cd player. They both go to the amp in the back. It looks like the amp has all the speakers to it. the fuses on the amp is still good though.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Look for a blue wire with a white stripe coming from the stereo deck, is that connected to anything?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Ok. Look for a blue wire with a white stripe coming from the stereo deck, is that connected to anything?
There is no blue wire with white stripe coming from the deck. There's a blue wire with white stripe coming from a harness that Is connected to an orange one from the same harness.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There is no blue wire with white stripe coming from the deck. There's a blue wire with white stripe coming from a harness that Is connected to an orange one from the same harness.
Hmm, on the adaptor kit I bought for my deck that wire was the amp power wire. If it wasn't hooked up then the speakers weren't going to work. I would try to look for a diagram of some sort specifying what wire goes to what from your head unit.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Hmm, on the adaptor kit I bought for my deck that wire was the amp power wire. If it wasn't hooked up then the speakers weren't going to work. I would try to look for a diagram of some sort specifying what wire goes to what from your head unit.
The amp remote remote wire?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The amp remote remote wire?
Yes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Yes
Yeah that is hooked up. The guy I bought the car from said it used to work but not anymore. He could be just saying this though.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that is hooked up. The guy I bought the car from said it used to work but not anymore. He could be just saying this though.
It's hooked up to the blue/ white wire?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

It's hooked up to the blue/ white wire?
No. The remote wire is a different color on my cd player but it is hooked up. I want to switch decks anyways and put my subs in. What harness or how many do I need to bypass the factory amp. What do I need to do to do that?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No. The remote wire is a different color on my cd player but it is hooked up. I want to switch decks anyways and put my subs in. What harness or how many do I need to bypass the factory amp. What do I need to do to do that?
I'm not quite sure if they make a harness to bypass the amps. I bypassed my door speaker amps using a picture that a guy named robertoonizer drew. The pictures should be in the Mach 460 bypass thread. I just used some extra speaker wire I had laying around
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Check on crutchfield or sonicelectronix.com. U should find a bypass on there. I had a time with them. I ended up ripping all my factory mach 460 speakers and all amps out and replaced it all. That was actually easier than dealing with the 460. The 460 is a booger to work with. Horrible horrible sound system to work with. Great sound but agitating as h*** to run an amp kit around.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Also for any info u may need. Try the12volt.com or 12volt.com can't remember which one exactly it is. They have a lot of good info on there
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ill tell you what you need to do in 30 min.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709
Check on crutchfield or sonicelectronix.com. U should find a bypass on there. I had a time with them. I ended up ripping all my factory mach 460 speakers and all amps out and replaced it all. That was actually easier than dealing with the 460. The 460 is a booger to work with. Horrible horrible sound system to work with. Great sound but agitating as h*** to run an amp kit around.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Also for any info u may need. Try the12volt.com or 12volt.com can't remember which one exactly it is. They have a lot of good info on there
Dont mean to be rude but screw the bypassing sh** ill tell you what to do soon
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

I don't care how I do it. I just want it done withy be best sound.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't care how I do it. I just want it done withy be best sound.
Ok good. Just what i want to hear. Hold off for 10 min
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea i didn't use the bypass. I ripped it all out and replaced everything with Kenwood
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea i didn't use the bypass. I ripped it all out and replaced everything with Kenwood
Yea.. Thats the best way to do it. Dont have to deal with any other junk then..
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Just gotta remember to pull the amp behind the dash and to straight wire ur speakers straight to the cd player. Just mark each wire to what speaker it goes to
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just gotta remember to pull the amp behind the dash and to straight wire ur speakers straight to the cd player. Just mark each wire to what speaker it goes to
I just took out my deck and hooked up the 2 harnesses to my new deck. The grey and black. It turns on but no sound
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok dude, listen to me. What kind of car is it? Every car has a different wiring harness to the factory stereo wires. What you NEED to make sure is that All the wires coming from the deck are connected to the right wires on the factory harness...unless its directly plugged into you deck. I say, you scrap the wiring harness it came with, if its factory, and buy a new one that FORSURE fits your deck. Then its simple to match up your wires. They usually are labeled right rear left rear that kinda thing. IF they arent wired right with the connections of the harness matching that of the deck, you wont get sound. Depending on the mismatch of wires. After that, there might be a deck problem....
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok dude, listen to me. What kind of car is it? Every car has a different wiring harness to the factory stereo wires. What you NEED to make sure is that All the wires coming from the deck are connected to the right wires on the factory harness...unless its directly plugged into you deck. I say, you scrap the wiring harness it came with, if its factory, and buy a new one that FORSURE fits your deck. Then its simple to match up your wires. They usually are labeled right rear left rear that kinda thing. IF they arent wired right with the connections of the harness matching that of the deck, you wont get sound. Depending on the mismatch of wires. After that, there might be a deck problem....
Its an 89 mustang gt. I have the correct wiring harness and I know for a fact the cd player works. The wires are on it correctly ad snug. Ive done this so many times it's easy but I just can't get sound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video