AppRadio & other A/V Qs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
AppRadio & other A/V Qs

So I want to rig up some video and other electronics in a '13 w/out the OEM electronics package, but w/ the OEM reverse camera. I didn't order the EP due to price so I want to add an aftermarket head unit w/ touch screen. I won't have the car for a few more months, so nothing imminent is happening, but I want to start collecting the parts I need. I realize no one has a '13 yet, but pretty sure it's the same as the 10-12s.

AppRadio 2: Have found some folks that've successfully added an AppRadio with a new dash panel and kept all of their steering wheel buttons and Sync functions IIRC. I'm a Pioneer fan, so I'm happy this looks doable. I haven't figured out if you can continue to stream wirelessly (Bluetooth), though, which is a major factor for me. If anyone can confirm this (on an AR2, though if the AR1 has it, I'm sure the AR2 will), I'd be much appreciative. My wife has that feature in her new Kia and I immediately fell in love with it (the feature, not the car!). I believe I need a new harness (Ford Sync Aftermarket kit, I believe, but haven't looked for this yet) and will definitely need a new panel (a Metra, I believe, instead of a Sorsche, but haven't looked into that yet either).

I know the AppRadio can take a reverse camera feed, but IIRC I heard that it also has a second camera input. Not sure if that's true and the AR2 isn't out yet so I may need to call on this. What I'd rather do is keep the reverse camera in the rear-view mirror, add a camera (or two) and wire it (them) to the head unit. I would have (both) extra camera(s) facing sideways (maybe in a scoop, not definite on placement yet) so that I could see curbs. And if anybody has an idea for setting these up for recording, I could record the looks on people's faces as I put some distance between us and they realize I was just toying with them. I was originally picturing hard drives in my glove or trunk, but something smaller, maybe w/ an SD card, would probably be better, if doable.

Hero 2 Camera: Heard nothing but great things about GoPro cameras and am thinking of mounting one right behind the front grill or inside the car, suction-cupped to the rear window and pointed forward: a cabin cam, I guess. The other I would definitely suction cup, but facing backwards out the rear window. They have a remote which can work multiple cameras, so I'd just keep that nearby, perhaps velcro-mounted somewhere. I don't think these would be as handy if wired into the head unit, which is why I'm thinking of two different camera setups. One set mainly for viewing/driving (above), one set mainly for recording (GoPro). The reason for these cameras would almost strictly be for fun, so that I could put some videos together of some of my drives, as well as others' cars, like on a cruise, track day, etc. All of these cameras could come in handy legally too. I've twice been accused of things I didn't do in MY BIG, BAD, BLACK MUSTANG. Not that I'd have them running all the time, but in a sketchy situation or just by chance, maybe they could help.

Backup battery: I also could not order the Shaker Pro b/c it requires the EP, so I'll eventually want to add an amp and better speakers, in addition to several electronic security features, so I'd like to add a backup battery. From what I understand, you just need to wire + to + and - to - for a backup battery, but any other info is appreciated. I would use a kit with a battery box, but anything else I should worry about? I heard something about sealing off the trunk. I'd leave the stock battery (which is larger than standard from what I understand b/c I ordered the Active Anti-Theft) where it is and am thinking Yellow Top for the backup, in the trunk.

Reverse Cam: I'd also like a different (aluminum) spoiler and am considering moving the rear camera to a keyhole location, but do the 10-13s still have trunk keyholes? I didn't see any in the pics I checked and didn't think the faux cap moved, but perhaps I'm looking at bad pics. I guess I'll get this answered one way or another when I finally pick the ride up.

Rear Sensors: I really like the '13 Boss/CS rear bumper cover so I'd like to eventually switch the stock one out, but am unsure about the rear sensors. Are these just taped on (I hope)? Again, will find this out in a few months, but am just curious in the meantime.

Other things I'm considering and would appreciate any comments/ideas/info on (these are links):
Thanks for anything anyone can offer. Will update as I find out more info so other folks can benefit too.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: AppRadio & other A/V Qs

Update 1: no trunk keyholes, so I'll either have to drill a hole in a typical key location or find another spot. I'd consider mounting it lower, in that weird horizontal space of the '13 rear bumper cover, but I plan on replacing that, as I mentioned, with one that doesn't. Hmmm, where to put it?
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video