Putting in wiring for amp - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Putting in wiring for amp

Can anybody give me a quick walk thru of running wire for an amp.
Amp being in the back of the car, running all speakers to amp and two subwoofers. What do I need to do with my speaker wires and head unit wires exc.
Appreciate the help!
2003SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do u have your stock system?

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
Do u have your stock system?
Or do u have after market head unit and speakers?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Run your power wire from your battery to your amp suggest atleast 4 gage wire. Find a good spot in the truck to run your ground (usually clear or a yellowish color) , a spot witb bare metal something you can secure it to and it will hold. You will also need this to be at least 4gage as well the bigger the better for both. From the head unit to the amp u will also need to run a set of good quality RCA cords red and white to your amp as well as a blue remote wire from your head unit to your amp. Then just run your speaker wire from your speakers to.your amp. This is the just the basics and it will get u up and running but I would suggest that u run a fuse on your power wire (red)some where close to your battery about a foot or less. Also if your going to run a really big amp and speakers to maybe get a power cap to help maintaine your volts and a bigger alternator so you dont dim your lights or damage your alternator or battery. if your running an amp to your factory car speakers and using the factory stereo this gets a little more complicated but just let me know and ill try to walk u through that. Hope this helps. Good luck
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
Run your power wire from your battery to your amp suggest atleast 4 gage wire. Find a good spot in the truck to run your ground (usually clear or a yellowish color) , a spot witb bare metal something you can secure it to and it will hold. You will also need this to be at least 4gage as well the bigger the better for both. From the head unit to the amp u will also need to run a set of good quality RCA cords red and white to your amp as well as a blue remote wire from your head unit to your amp. Then just run your speaker wire from your speakers to.your amp. This is the just the basics and it will get u up and running but I would suggest that u run a fuse on your power wire (red)some where close to your battery about a foot or less. Also if your going to run a really big amp and speakers to maybe get a power cap to help maintaine your volts and a bigger alternator so you dont dim your lights or damage your alternator or battery. if your running an amp to your factory car speakers and using the factory stereo this gets a little more complicated but just let me know and ill try to walk u through that. Hope this helps. Good luck
Thank you! And I'm helping a friend do it in his VW... Mine was done before I got the car. I put in new speakers and added a second amp conversion and subs also wired my head unit...but just n
Wanted to know more about the wiring process!
2003SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
No problem its support simple of you need more help just ask
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Make sure you run your power wire on one side and the speaker and RCAs on the other side of the car ,this will prevent distortion..if possible solder all the wire connections you make.
OmegaRedGT 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video