5-Channel Amplifier - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
5-Channel Amplifier

I'm looking for a cheap 5 channel... Anybody have suggestions of what would be best? I don't want something that's gonna fail on me but I can't spend over $200
2003SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003SonicBlue
I'm looking for a cheap 5 channel... Anybody have suggestions of what would be best? I don't want something that's gonna fail on me but I can't spend over $200
Why a 5 channel? 4 channel is great! For 4 speakers i assume?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
4 ch amp is for 4 speakers and a 5ch is for 4 speakers and a sub ch
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, i say get 2 amps for speakers and subs. I can give you a whole List of reasons why to if you wanna know
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
Personally, i say get 2 amps for speakers and subs. I can give you a whole List of reasons why to if you wanna know
That's what i would do as well if that's y u r getting a 5ch
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want the list
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I want the list
What subs and speakers will u be putting on them? And what reason u want the 5ch?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I want the list
Alright man:

Your putting Alot of power through an amp to run 5 different speakers. A sub can take from 250 to 1000 watts of power where as most general speakers go from 50 to 200. That means your using most of your power to run the sub and cutting the rest 4 different ways. Usually you cant manually set how many watts are runnin to each speaker which means if you have 2-6x9s and 2-5 1/2s you going to be drawing the same power to run them the same, whereas 6x9s can handle more usually than door speakers.

Another reason is that your feeding information for 5 different speakers through a single amp. Thats alot of stress on an amp. Especially when you get one "cheap". Your information can get cut without adequate power handling for the amp, which means you dont get as good sound quality from each speaker.

Want more reasons?. The reason i would go a seperate amp for subs and speakers, is that with subs, you keep an amp toned for low frequency notes and it gets complete power and info reaching it. Same with speakers. They each with get what they need and will be much louder and clearer.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote:

I want the list
Again.. I have more reasons but im a little busy right now
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I dunno what u can find for under 200$! I have a 5ch Memphis amp, clean sound 500w for my JL Audio w6 subwoofer n 4 jl speakers. Spend the money on a good amp like this n u won't regret it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3325563054.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	43396

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-112219547.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	43397
Alexg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 5-Channel Amplifier

Yea. Like i said.. you'd want to get a Good Amp if you do it that way...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 5-Channel Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Alright man:

Your putting Alot of power through an amp to run 5 different speakers. A sub can take from 250 to 1000 watts of power where as most general speakers go from 50 to 200. That means your using most of your power to run the sub and cutting the rest 4 different ways. Usually you cant manually set how many watts are runnin to each speaker which means if you have 2-6x9s and 2-5 1/2s you going to be drawing the same power to run them the same, whereas 6x9s can handle more usually than door speakers.

Another reason is that your feeding information for 5 different speakers through a single amp. Thats alot of stress on an amp. Especially when you get one "cheap". Your information can get cut without adequate power handling for the amp, which means you dont get as good sound quality from each speaker.

Want more reasons?. The reason i would go a seperate amp for subs and speakers, is that with subs, you keep an amp toned for low frequency notes and it gets complete power and info reaching it. Same with speakers. They each with get what they need and will be much louder and clearer.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Nice Info, thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey man hows it going.... I know for a decent 5 chl amp brand new your looking at about about $400 to $500.... Do some research and im sure you can get something good.
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
Nice Info, thanks.
You could get a 400w 4 channel amp for under 100$ and a 400w amp mono for the sub for under 100$. Its just that what you pay for is what you get. If you get a walmart special that says 800w its probably at most gonna be 500 to 400
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright man:

+100 what subs and speakers will u be running?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have pioneers totaling (all 4) RMS of 440watts and peak of 800watts
I have two kicker comps 12" rms of 300(2 speakers) and peak of 600watts

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Currently I have a 4 channel 490 watt for the speakers and a 400 watt mono for the subs
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have pioneers totaling (all 4) RMS of 440watts and peak of 800watts
I have two kicker comps 12" rms of 300(2 speakers) and peak of 600watts

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Currently I have a 4 channel 490 watt for the speakers and a 400 watt mono for the subs
Thats perfect! Why would you change that? Except to get bigger speakers and subs?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Want it to be cleaner and SUVs aren't being fully powered

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Subs*
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Want it to be cleaner and SUVs aren't being fully powered

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Subs*
U don't want to run the subs at full power or they will tear up a lot faster. What brand is ur amps?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709

U don't want to run the subs at full power or they will tear up a lot faster. What brand is ur amps?
+1 i run my amp smaller than what the sub can handle because it wont tear up the sub and blow it. However, too low and you overheat your amp. Lets say you have a 300w rms sub. You should run a 300w amp or 400w amp. The sub can peak at 500 or 600, and you dont want to come that close to the peak and run it all the time. However, if you know how much power you are pushing, you could theoretically go 400 or 500w amp and not run it full power. That way you Cant over hear your amp, but run the risk of blowing your subs or wearin them down Way faster
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 i run my amp smaller than what the sub can handle because it wont tear up the sub and blow it. However, too low and you overheat your amp. Lets say you have a 300w rms sub. You should run a 300w amp or 400w amp. The sub can peak at 500 or 600, and you dont want to come that close to the peak and run it all the time. However, if you know how much power you are pushing, you could theoretically go 400 or 500w amp and not run it full power. That way you Cant over hear your amp, but run the risk of blowing your subs or wearin them down Way faster
+1 but it depends on the amp. U could prolly run a 1000w boss amp. Just depends on the quality of the amp also and if its pure wattage or watered down wattage
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709

+1 but it depends on the amp. U could prolly run a 1000w boss amp. Just depends on the quality of the amp also and if its pure wattage or watered down wattage
If people are suggesting to go with quality equipment, boss is definitaly not the right direction.....

A good 4 channel for your mids and a separate amp for you subs is the route that should be taken. Kicker, jl, Rockford, alpine, Kenwood, and RE all make amps that will fit the bill
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony

If people are suggesting to go with quality equipment, boss is definitaly not the right direction.....

A good 4 channel for your mids and a separate amp for you subs is the route that should be taken. Kicker, jl, Rockford, alpine, Kenwood, and RE all make amps that will fit the bill
Oh yea by no means am i suggesting them. Those u listed r great amps. Don't get any offbrand crap. Remember u pay for what u get
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's very true. You can get amps for under a hundred bucks. But you end up with a low quality piece of junk. I understand people want a bargain. But as said, you get what you pay for. If someone can't afford a quality product, then they should just WAIT. I have a buddy that's has spent ten fold what he could have spent on a good stereo because he kept buying cheap garbage. If one doesn't want to spend a lot, or have a lot to spend then look online for deals on quality components. If you still can't afford those, then your priorities are jacked up in the first place and you shouldn't be spending money on stereos in the first place. Sorry for the rant. But the biggest thing I see people going cheap and really regreting it is stereos.

Not directed at anyone, just had to get it off my chest!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
That's very true. You can get amps for under a hundred bucks. But you end up with a low quality piece of junk. I understand people want a bargain. But as said, you get what you pay for. If someone can't afford a quality product, then they should just WAIT. I have a buddy that's has spent ten fold what he could have spent on a good stereo because he kept buying cheap garbage. If one doesn't want to spend a lot, or have a lot to spend then look online for deals on quality components. If you still can't afford those, then your priorities are jacked up in the first place and you shouldn't be spending money on stereos in the first place. Sorry for the rant. But the biggest thing I see people going cheap and really regreting it is stereos.

Not directed at anyone, just had to get it off my chest!
Definitely true. I too have seen plenty of people spend more than what they should have because what they buy is crap. Thats why i stick with Fosgate and Hertz. 2 of the Best brands out there for me a far as subs, amps, and speakers. Hertz Accels in speakers, whereas fosgate Dominates in quality subs and amps. I dont much like their speakers... But like it was said before, save up to get something once instead of multiple times down the road
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely true. I too have seen plenty of people spend more than what they should have because what they buy is crap. Thats why i stick with Fosgate and Hertz. 2 of the Best brands out there for me a far as subs, amps, and speakers. Hertz Accels in speakers, whereas fosgate Dominates in quality subs and amps. I dont much like their speakers... But like it was said before, save up to get something once instead of multiple times down the road
+1 million
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Its so true i laugh with some people when there like my amp is 1000watts and it sounds like my ***....i have a couple old school orion amps that are 125watts x 2 amd they can be bridged down to .5 ohms and they sound incredible... I miss the days when equipment were built in te good old USA... Old school fosgate and hi fonics sooooo good...but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G
Its so true i laugh with some people when there like my amp is 1000watts and it sounds like my ***....i have a couple old school orion amps that are 125watts x 2 amd they can be bridged down to .5 ohms and they sound incredible... I miss the days when equipment were built in te good old USA... Old school fosgate and hi fonics sooooo good...but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for
Forsure! I have the old school p400-4 hooked up to my speakers and it sounds incredible. Then i have my new fosgate running my fosgate subs! Which also sounds incredible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video