Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Sub choice

10K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  stangdude512 
#1 ·
What's your opinions on the best subs? I'm thinking about getting 2 15in Boston G3s with a box and amp. Would be around 650 w/o installation fees

#2 ·
2 15s? Seems a bit excessive for a mustang. I have one 10 that's set up to hit as hard as most people's dual 12s and some solo 15 set ups. I personally wouldn't go with anything over solo or dual 10s or a solo 12 if you can fit it.

Just make sure you can fit a box with proper air space otherwise you'll be wasting your money by going with large subs.

#6 ·
If you get a Bus, you can put 10 Twelves in it, and be the biggest Guy in the World, and still have Trunk space for stuff. and outdo your buddies and friends and Dads and etc. LOL.

#9 ·
I had one 12 with 1000w and that was loud then I found a better box and scored a black Friday deal and got two 12's and have the same amp pushing 500w to each, that's plenty for me. You can get a 10 inch and that could be louder than both your 15's it's all on the cubic inches of your box and the amps going to the sub!

#10 ·
A 10 inch subwoofer can hit louder than 2 15's? Or even a single 15?? I don't think so man. those are on 2 Completely different levels of frequencies! A 10 inch subwoofer AT ITS BEST will hit the higher frequencies of the sub-frequency level and be louder than a 12 inch sub. Which still doesn't matter because at that point its about the song and the range of frequency for it! sure a 10 in sub can out-perform a 15 in sub...WHEN THE SONG DOESNT ALLOW THE 15 TO PLAY THAT DEEP! i guarantee with EVERYTHING i have that when you play...lets say "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa, my 2 12 inch subs will outplay any dual 10 inch sub setup. same with my 15's!. think about the power output! 1 single 10 inch sub at its best can take 300-500 watts of power. whereas a 12 inch sub at its best could take 7-8 or even 900 watts of power. that in itself will be louder than your 10 inch subs. seriously guys.. everyones hearing levels are different. one guys 10 inch sub could sound loud to him whereas another guys 2 15 inch subs aren't loud enough! and it depends on your power output, song, and amp settings as well!

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

by the way, if you want Good Quality dual subs that sound Phenomenal together when you do it correctly, id say get Rockford Fosgate p3's. if thats too loud, get p1's! i have p1's right now and they really hit! but I'm gonna upgrade soon!

#14 ·
Y'all are funny. Bigger isn't always better. I had a single 15" JL Audio W0 setup and it was decent. Switched to a Alpine Type R 10" and it's a lot louder and a lot better At every frequency. With Mustangs we don't have much trunk space and yes your custom box may allow you to fit 2 15s but I promise you that if you do run that and it doesn't take your entire trunk then you don't have proper air space.

To each his own. Do as you wish. I'm just giving you my experience because I've ran both types and talked to a lot of sound shops.

#26 ·
a 10 in sub can't Possibly hit the same frequencies that a 15 inch sub can. That's why theres more surface area in the 15 inch! hence the "15 inch subwoofer". if a 10 inch sub could hit them and sound better to them, whats the point of a 12, 15, or even 18 inch? none... read my post above. its all about what your used to listening to and what your ears are tuned for. everyones different. i have 2 15 inch subs and when people listen to them, a few say its Way to much, and a few say that i need more! and some just like it how it is! its all about the person at that point. they could think 10's hit as hard as 15's but come over to my place and ill prove you wrong. I've had 8's, 10's, 12's and 15's and to me the perfect box holds 1 8" sub and 2 12"s. same with 1 10" and 2 12"s . And as stated above, the volume of air in the box definitely counts for most of it, but not all of it.

#15 ·
ColeJohnson said:
Y'all are funny. Bigger isn't always better. I had a single 15" JL Audio W0 setup and it was decent. Switched to a Alpine Type R 10" and it's a lot louder and a lot better At every frequency. With Mustangs we don't have much trunk space and yes your custom box may allow you to fit 2 15s but I promise you that if you do run that and it doesn't take your entire trunk then you don't have proper air space.

To each his own. Do as you wish. I'm just giving you my experience because I've ran both types and talked to a lot of sound shops.
I understand. One possibility could be that your 15 needed a more powerful amp

#16 ·
ColeJohnson said:

Thank you, this is what I was trying to say!

#18 ·
Iv got a off brand 12. the brand is Quantom Audio 1500w & 900RMS(im sure its not true watts). But it seems to hit harder than my P3 did. And didnt cost near as much. Iv got a 1000w memphis amp on it. Its plenty enough to shake the car and the cars next.to me.
M.A. Audio is decent too. If your on a budget. Also as the guy above said the proper box is key.

Attachments

#27 ·
In the past, I have had vehicles with dual 15" subs and hard hitting Amps, Now I have a 10" sub in my GT. It's enough, it serves the purpose and it sounds fine, leaves me enough room in trunk. For the people that feel that they need to explain and prove the dynamics of 15" sub frequencies, then outstanding for you and empressive, but not everyone needs subsonic frequencies all the time. Bigger speaker doesn't make you the best or even best sounding, it just makes your Ego feel more powerful.:lol:

#29 ·
I've worked in a couple audio shops..and been doing audio/video for a few years,and honestly a few tips I can give is,the enclosure,correct wattage,and match your sub to what your music taste is.as far a a box I've seen ****ty subs sound awesome in good boxes and I've seen expensive subs sound like **** in the wrong or ****ty boxes...as far as correct wattage...most people look at peak power and think higher is better..not always...focus on rms power ratings.and buying a cea certified product is always a plus too...as far as sub size...imo 10's are great for fast paced music or tight space installs..12's are a great all around sub,and can handle all types of music..15's are meant for bass style music,spl(due to more cone area)and rap...they are just a little to big and slower to react to faster paced music...unless you get a paper cone sub...paper cone subs react faster than any other material due to being lighter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.