Upgrading door speakers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

Region: Oregon
Upgrading door speakers

Hey there. I was looking to start upgrading my speakers on my '10 GT Convertible. It has Sync and Nav, etc... I'm looking at just replacing the stock 6x8 door speakers with some JL ZR650 components and installing the tweeters in the pillars above the dash by the front window. I'm planning on running this off the stock deck power for now, but maybe adding an amp and sub in the trunk down the road. Does this sound like a decent upgrade? Any of you have luck with the component speakers installed this way? Thanks much!
trumpet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Sounds fine. Won't be as loud as if you replaced the factory deck with a new one, but I understand not wanting to loose sync. From my experience people's upgrade pattern seams to go head unit, then speakers then amp and sub.

But components up front will defiantly give you a cleaner sound.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Upgrading door speakers

If you want Clean and Crisp sound, get an amp for your front end speakers..
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet173
Hey there. I was looking to start upgrading my speakers on my '10 GT Convertible. It has Sync and Nav, etc... I'm looking at just replacing the stock 6x8 door speakers with some JL ZR650 components and installing the tweeters in the pillars above the dash by the front window. I'm planning on running this off the stock deck power for now, but maybe adding an amp and sub in the trunk down the road. Does this sound like a decent upgrade? Any of you have luck with the component speakers installed this way? Thanks much!
The stock speakers on the 10's aren't bad at all. If you amp them they will sound better and be a lot louder as well. But if you do that you're most likely going to want to get a sub woofer as hell. You don't need a head unit. I have an amp and a sub right now and it makes a huge different.
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet173
You can keep sync just have to keep an auxiliary port open for it, and that means a better head unit. The Shaker speakers aren't bad on the 05 and up models. I assume you the shaker system. Greeting an amp will help.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Region: Oregon
Thanks for the responses. I don't have any reason to change out the deck. Works better than any other car stereo I've ever had in previous rides. An amp sounds like a good idea, but after comparing speakers in a few stereo stores it does seem like the stock ones in my '10 are not that bad. Not super loud, but it doesn't seem to distort when I turn it up to 11.
trumpet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Keep your head unit, I recommend adding a amplifier and re wired all speakers with better quality cables... U will hear the difference and adding a sub will be a great addition
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video