mtx terminator package - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
mtx terminator package

Anyone have any comments on the two 12's and a amp combo? I have read hundreds of reviews and some people complain about the amp overheating while others say they haven't had any overheating problems. Has anyone had this setup?
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If your amp overheats, its because its wired wrong. Been doing car audio for 15 years now.
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh really? I haven't gotten it yet but I was curious because of what others where saying. How could wiring it wrong cause it to overheat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You have to know ohms. If you are not pushing enough ohms to your amp, it will go into protection.

ie: Your amp may be able to handle down to 2 ohms. The way the subs are wired though, the amp could be reading only 1 ohm. Too much for the amp and when you turn up the volume the amp will go into protection. The setup alone though is a good setup.

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

There are sooo many things that could cause systems to overheat, but that is just one example.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

Most of the time its caused by people trying to bridge the wires to get more power from the amp. When you bridge it, it cuts the ohms in half that your amp sees
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Wiring is a big problem but if it's a packaged deal from a good store it should be the right combo.... Another reason for overheating is ppl not puttin the amp where it can get air flow, amp needs space to breath even if they have a built in fan
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^ exactly. Should be the right combo. But, that is where people stray away from the way they tell you to wire it and try to bridge it for more power. Just don't try and bridge it. Lol
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up it and installed it about 2 hours ago and blasted it for about 45 minutes with no problems. It's sounds great too I'm definitely happy. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome! Glad to hear its working good. Enjoy
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt
Awesome! Glad to hear its working good. Enjoy
Thank you, I have another question. After doing some research I learned that this amp is underpowering my subs by a lot. It's a 250/1 amp and the subs are rated I believe 350 ways rms each. So does that mean I can go ahead and set the gain all the way up without having to worry about clipping?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

350 rms is the maximum they will handle. There is a minimum too, that subs can handle, but I think 250 is fine. Staying in between the minimum and maximum means that your subs will last longer. Yes, you can maximize your amp. Just keep it an 1/8 of a turn away from all the way up. Also, you can blow your subs by having the bass knob up too much even without having the input level up all the way. Best thing to do is turn your volume the highest you will ever have it and have your trunk open, stand next to your subs, while adjusting your amp, and listen for any distortion in the bass. Make sure it is playing a really deep bass song while doing it.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt
350 rms is the maximum they will handle. There is a minimum too, that subs can handle, but I think 250 is fine. Staying in between the minimum and maximum means that your subs will last longer. Yes, you can maximize your amp. Just keep it an 1/8 of a turn away from all the way up. Also, you can blow your subs by having the bass knob up too much even without having the input level up all the way. Best thing to do is turn your volume the highest you will ever have it and have your trunk open, stand next to your subs, while adjusting your amp, and listen for any distortion in the bass. Make sure it is playing a really deep bass song while doing it.
Thanks I did that and they are working great

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video