Dual 15 inch!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Dual 15 inch!?!

Would this sub box just slide into place?! http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ice_Comparison
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Re: Dual 15 inch!?!

I honestly dont think so. I had to make two seperate boxes for my 15s. And it was still a pain to put in the car.
kirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirpy
I honestly dont think so. I had to make two seperate boxes for my 15s. And it was still a pain to put in the car.
Dang! Well how's 15's sound in yours? Is everything vibrated out of place? Haha I'm considering upgrading my tens to 15's since on of them blew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I actually never hoocked them up. I ended putting the two 15s with two 12s in a firebird i had. If your looking for a deaper tone id do 15s. If your looking for the hit feeling. Id stay with the tens. 12s are prob the best of both worlds tho.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirpy
I actually never hoocked them up. I ended putting the two 15s with two 12s in a firebird i had. If your looking for a deaper tone id do 15s. If your looking for the hit feeling. Id stay with the tens. 12s are prob the best of both worlds tho.
How'd they sound in the firebird?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
How'd they sound in the firebird?
It sounded good. 3000 watts. But if i would do it again id prob do two 8s and two 12s.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I had a single 15" in mine for about two days.. Then swapped for a single 10". Honestly with the amount of trunk space we have to work with in these mustangs it's more practical to have a 10" because you'll get the proper air-space. With a 15" the box will take up most of your trunk and then even after that it has to be a custom box and you're still running the risk of not getting proper air space. My 10" Alpine type R sounds a lot better than my 15" JL Audio W0(I think that's the model it was).

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I had a single 15" in mine for about two days.. Then swapped for a single 10". Honestly with the amount of trunk space we have to work with in these mustangs it's more practical to have a 10" because you'll get the proper air-space. With a 15" the box will take up most of your trunk and then even after that it has to be a custom box and you're still running the risk of not getting proper air space. My 10" Alpine type R sounds a lot better than my 15" JL Audio W0(I think that's the model it was).
Amen. I had one type R ten inch. Most people thought I was running 2 12's from the custom box and amp settings. It had a 650 watt amp on it too. They can handle over 1,000 watts too.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I also recommend not buying any subwoofers that arent circles. The squars and triangles give off a weird sound. There not as crisp either.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

@Nicholas: These opinions are fairly healthy. However, there is a few things that make them not quite true. First is that they are opinions, second, is the availability of installation in these areas and or budgeting.

So, first thing is, no, most of your avaerage 15" pre-fab boxes will not fit into our newer Mustangs(or any of the post Fox bodies for that matter). So, the question is, How much space are you willing to sacrifice? 2 fifteen inch subs, in the proper airspaces, depending on the sub(s) will indeed use anywhere from half(absolute minimum) up to the entire trunk. This also depends on the subwoofer(s), and the enclosure. You're looking at almost certainly having to have a custom enclosure built. A decent shop with a fabricator on staff can solve that part easily enough. Now, choosing the right subwoofer consists of several parts. First, you obviously want a woofer that will use smaller airspaces, but still perform admirably. You also have to factor in an amplifier, and fifteens need power, so your amplifier costs rise, and the bigger the amp, the more power the amp needs. Once you hit around 1000 watts, it's time to add a second battery(ies). So the costs can increase much further than just the woofers. Also, I would address the myth that i saw in a previous post: 15" subs do not "hit lower" than a 10 or a 12 etc. In fact, it is usually the opposite, if you read spec manuals from a sub company (your pic), read the frequency response spec. You will usually find that the smaller woofers will play LOWER frequencies than the larger. The reason for this myth? Simple. The lower the frequency, the less sound it makes. Once you get to a certain frequency, there is no sound, only air movement. The more air you move, the more prevelent the sound, hence the larger woofers move more air, therefore you "hear" the lower stuff better in a car.
I have a specific design i like to use in these cars, it consists of 2 10" or 2 12" subs, in a "V" style box that is mounted under the rear deck and takes up less trunk space than most conventional designs, it fires the "v" up through the rear deck (which must be modified to vent the box face into the car). Advantages: The subs build pressure into the car for more accurate sound, virtually eliminates trunk rattle, and you use two tens to create better sound than if you had two 15" in the trunk firing back. The choice is ultimately yours.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a single type r 12 and it pounds... I really don't see why dual 15s would be necessary. About to upgrade to the new type r (1000watt rms) and a hifonics Brutus 1200.1
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel
@Nicholas: These opinions are fairly healthy. However, there is a few things that make them not quite true. First is that they are opinions, second, is the availability of installation in these areas and or budgeting.

So, first thing is, no, most of your avaerage 15" pre-fab boxes will not fit into our newer Mustangs(or any of the post Fox bodies for that matter). So, the question is, How much space are you willing to sacrifice? 2 fifteen inch subs, in the proper airspaces, depending on the sub(s) will indeed use anywhere from half(absolute minimum) up to the entire trunk. This also depends on the subwoofer(s), and the enclosure. You're looking at almost certainly having to have a custom enclosure built. A decent shop with a fabricator on staff can solve that part easily enough. Now, choosing the right subwoofer consists of several parts. First, you obviously want a woofer that will use smaller airspaces, but still perform admirably. You also have to factor in an amplifier, and fifteens need power, so your amplifier costs rise, and the bigger the amp, the more power the amp needs. Once you hit around 1000 watts, it's time to add a second battery(ies). So the costs can increase much further than just the woofers. Also, I would address the myth that i saw in a previous post: 15" subs do not "hit lower" than a 10 or a 12 etc. In fact, it is usually the opposite, if you read spec manuals from a sub company (your pic), read the frequency response spec. You will usually find that the smaller woofers will play LOWER frequencies than the larger. The reason for this myth? Simple. The lower the frequency, the less sound it makes. Once you get to a certain frequency, there is no sound, only air movement. The more air you move, the more prevelent the sound, hence the larger woofers move more air, therefore you "hear" the lower stuff better in a car.
I have a specific design i like to use in these cars, it consists of 2 10" or 2 12" subs, in a "V" style box that is mounted under the rear deck and takes up less trunk space than most conventional designs, it fires the "v" up through the rear deck (which must be modified to vent the box face into the car). Advantages: The subs build pressure into the car for more accurate sound, virtually eliminates trunk rattle, and you use two tens to create better sound than if you had two 15" in the trunk firing back. The choice is ultimately yours.
What opinions are you talking about?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

The previous posts.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

I did a 12" and a 10". Sounds good. Make sure same ohms if sharing amp.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video