iPad mini - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
iPad mini

What do you guys think about a mini iPad as a head unit?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
What do you guys think about a mini iPad as a head unit?
That would be sick !
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

And it's 7.9 inches so I'm thinking it should be a perfect fit! (Or pretty close)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I thought about this too for my 240sx. It would be a lot cheaper than the pioneer app radio 2 and you can take it with you when you leave your car.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

My question would be, how do you amplify the sound without a receiver? I don't know jack about audio...
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know much about it either lol

If I have it done it would definitely be a professional. And it's about as much as a normal double din head unit anyway. Unless you get the 3G capable one.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Name:   image-2709663366.jpg
Views: 2827
Size:  22.3 KB
I wonder if this adapter would allow an iPad's sound to be amplified through an amplifier?

Audio junkies chime in please! Lol
Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

That would be sick !
+1

You should ask some of the people on youtube that have already done it.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yes that's exactly what to use but you will still need an external amp to run the RCA jacks too then speaker wire to run to your speakers..
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have been considering hooking up an iPad for years.. even made a post a year ago here and nobody bit... perhaps a bit before my time... anyway.. I too am considering the mini... at the end of the day a clean install where it is integrated into the system is what matters. I have an 09 and use a Kensington cord and wireless control now to shuffle through songs on ipad and ipod... works.. but not exactly what I am looking for.. somebody needs to get this done... I have 8 months left in Afghanistan and will be doing this mod plus others come the summer...
SLDGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Check out sound man car audio great YouTube Chanel and they have done some very cool iPad installs. They use the Istreamer and get a nice signal out.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLDGT500
I have been considering hooking up an iPad for years.. even made a post a year ago here and nobody bit... perhaps a bit before my time... anyway.. I too am considering the mini... at the end of the day a clean install where it is integrated into the system is what matters. I have an 09 and use a Kensington cord and wireless control now to shuffle through songs on ipad and ipod... works.. but not exactly what I am looking for.. somebody needs to get this done... I have 8 months left in Afghanistan and will be doing this mod plus others come the summer...
Ya that's why I'm thinking the mini will be perfect. It will be flush in the dash. I know I'm kinda pushing it here but I also want to be able to take it in and out of my car easily lol
I wonder how much a custom audio shop would charge to make something like that.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec_

Check out sound man car audio great YouTube Chanel and they have done some very cool iPad installs. They use the Istreamer and get a nice signal out.
So it charges the iPad and converts the 3.5mm jack into an RCA. But you still have to tie up a 12V cigarette/accessory port?

I wish I could hear the difference between the $200 istreamer and a $5 adapter from RadioShack.

I'm no Grandmaster Audio Wizard but that seems like excess gadgetry that may not even be necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-715627841.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	73825Check out how they run the 3.5mm Auxiliary cable to the head unit. That's kinda lame. I would have at least put in a head unit that has the Aux cable in the back. Pioneer makes some like that.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

So it charges the iPad and converts the 3.5mm jack into an RCA. But you still have to tie up a 12V cigarette/accessory port?

I wish I could hear the difference between the $200 istreamer and a $5 adapter from RadioShack.

I'm no Grandmaster Audio Wizard but that seems like excess gadgetry that may not even be necessary.

Check out how they run the 3.5mm Auxiliary cable to the head unit. That's kinda lame. I would have at least put in a head unit that has the Aux cable in the back. Pioneer makes some like that.
No it takes the digital out from the 30 pin apple dock and converts it to a analog signal you could run in to a amp or signal processor. It dose not pull a signal from the headphone jack. This could be done with any DAC (digital to analog converter) but as they mentioned in the video this unit when tied to ACC (accessory/switch power) will pause your music when you shut your car off.

The use of a unit like that eliminates need for a head unit. Meaning you would have no AM or FM or CD your only AV source would be your Ipad or galaxy tab or what ever you wanted to use. It dose however require a amplifier.

If you desire to keep a radio and just run you I pad as a big iPod through a AUX in run it of the headphone jack and buy a mount to slap it in front of your radio or slap some Velcro to that bad boy.

*edit*
Maybe the customer asked for the cable to be run like that. I've seen people ask for dumber stuff.

*second edit*
Your pic in question and a clarification of what they did. Instead of just running a AUX cable to the headphone jack on the iPhone in the video they used the Isteamer to take the digital signal from the 30 pin connecter on the bottom of the phone (a cleaner signal than the one coming from the headphone jack) to the AUX in on the head unit.

In my car when I run my music to my head unit through the AUX or the bluetooth it sounds muddy and distorted compared to when I run it through the alpine 30 pin iPod cable.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I see what your saying. I guess I would have to hear the quality difference. I've only listened to my iPad from the headphone jack so I have no idea what it would sound like coming from an actual dock.

If I were to install an iPad into my car I would eliminate the radio altogether. I wonder if anyone else makes a converter like that, that might be better for audio on a budget?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No it takes the digital out from the 30 pin apple dock and converts it to a analog signal you could run in to a amp or signal processor. It dose not pull a signal from the headphone jack. This could be done with any DAC (digital to analog converter) but as they mentioned in the video this unit when tied to ACC (accessory/switch power) will pause your music when you shut your car off.

The use of a unit like that eliminates need for a head unit. Meaning you would have no AM or FM or CD your only AV source would be your Ipad or galaxy tab or what ever you wanted to use. It dose however require a amplifier.

If you desire to keep a radio and just run you I pad as a big iPod through a AUX in run it of the headphone jack and buy a mount to slap it in front of your radio or slap some Velcro to that bad boy.

*edit*
Maybe the customer asked for the cable to be run like that. I've seen people ask for dumber stuff.

*second edit*
Your pic in question and a clarification of what they did. Instead of just running a AUX cable to the headphone jack on the iPhone in the video they used the Isteamer to take the digital signal from the 30 pin connecter on the bottom of the phone (a cleaner signal than the one coming from the headphone jack) to the AUX in on the head unit.

In my car when I run my music to my head unit through the AUX or the bluetooth it sounds muddy and distorted compared to when I run it through the alpine 30 pin iPod cable.
*i need to go to sleep edit*

They buried a second cig sock in the dash so you don't have to see the cable or take up the cig sock on your dash.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #16
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

*i need to go to sleep edit*

They buried a second cig sock in the dash so you don't have to see the cable or take up the cig sock on your dash.
Haha, yeah. That's how I used to power my satellite radio back when that was cool.

Go to sleep man, I won't bug ya anymore. Lol, oh one more thing! Did you ever replace the hood on your sixxer? Stock or did you go aftermarket?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha, yeah. That's how I used to power my satellite radio back when that was cool.

Go to sleep man, I won't bug ya anymore. Lol, oh one more thing! Did you ever replace the hood on your sixxer? Stock or did you go aftermarket?
They went stock. It took a month to get it done properly and my car got hit in the body shop lot and the shop and my agent said the damage was there when I brought it in. Worst experience of my automotive life. Dumped the agent filed complaint with the better business burro and am planing murders and arsons in accordance with the don't F with my car code.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

They went stock. It took a month to get it done properly and my car got hit in the body shop lot and the shop and my agent said the damage was there when I brought it in. Worst experience of my automotive life. Dumped the agent filed complaint with the better business burro and am planing murders and arsons in accordance with the don't F with my car code.
Ah, **** man that sucks.
I've got a list of wankers that need to bleed out in a dark ally as well. I'll get to them later...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I see what your saying. I guess I would have to hear the quality difference. I've only listened to my iPad from the headphone jack so I have no idea what it would sound like coming from an actual dock.

If I were to install an iPad into my car I would eliminate the radio altogether. I wonder if anyone else makes a converter like that, that might be better for audio on a budget?

Thanks for your input.
I would do the same. I don't have a need for AM or FM when I can use pandora. And I haven't bought a real cd in years lol
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I would do the same. I don't have a need for AM or FM when I can use pandora. And I haven't bought a real cd in years lol
What's a "CD"? Lol
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

What's a "CD"? Lol
That round thing that, you know stores stuff haha

This should be interesting to see.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I remember when CD players were optional upgrades.. And you could get the cassette adapter those were the days
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I remember eating Pop Rocks and listening to Freebird on my Dad's Chrome 8 track player in his Maverick. Ouch, I'm old.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I remember eating Pop Rocks and listening to Freebird on my Dad's Chrome 8 track player in his Maverick. Ouch, I'm old.
haha you got me beat. I bet your kids, definitely your daughter, won't even know what a cassette player is.

on a side note you can get Tune in Radio if you must have your AM FM stations. I hate most of the FM stations here in ATL
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #25

Region: Virginia
Well I did a simple install if my iPad to in my 2013 GT.

Name:	image-2123348740.jpg
Views:	8520
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	74969

Name:	image-1242598697.jpg
Views:	3583
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	74970

Name:	image-3959216278.jpg
Views:	3584
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	74971

Name:	image-4032873476.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	74972
Thomasfrye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasfrye3
Well I did a simple install if my iPad to in my 2013 GT.
Did you drill holes in your dash!?! :O
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #27

Region: Virginia
Quote:

Did you drill holes in your dash!?! :O
Nope I used flat metal hobby strips you get from lowes and wedged them between the dash and air ducks and stood the bracket to it.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

I need to make a video if you'll want me too I well just ask.
Thomasfrye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #28

Region: California
IPAD Mini Install

This is what I ended up doing simply using the magnetic strip of the smart cover.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
my friends doing it in his camaro. honestly it wasn't perfected but he is trying a bunch of different ways right now it does not charge simply plays though aux along with tethers directly to the phone when he goes to his car (some app)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3524031893.jpg
Views:	2215
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	89780  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a good idea, and it's all about how you can making it look professionally installed. If it look sloppy then it's kind of a waste of money. you wouldn't make a bum decision for something you put on the outside of your car, so why do it on the inside of your car?
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
This is what I ended up doing simply using the magnetic strip of the smart cover.

That's elegantly simple!! Ha

But wouldn't that fall if you hit a bump??

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
my friends doing it in his camaro. honestly it wasn't perfected but he is trying a bunch of different ways right now it does not charge simply plays though aux along with tethers directly to the phone when he goes to his car (some app)
Can you give us some more info on that please??

What he used and how he did it and what not??

Thank!
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video