Vehicle Mounted Camera Suggestions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Vehicle Mounted Camera Suggestions?

I am lookin to get a camera to make more better quality vids of my car and also while I'm driving and tracking my car. I know GoPro is the top quality manufacture, but is there a equal quality competitor that is a little bit more affordable or am I better off buying a used GoPro?
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You could get a simple dash cam for the inside of the car... They are pretty cheap, i'm not sure if they have audio though lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I used an iPhone clipped to my p/s visor for awhile and it worked very well. You can run a USB charger to your center console for constant power but maybe bring something to events to download video depending on the drive size of your phone. I think the audio was even better than my Hero3, despite theyre revamping of it, but I havent tried any external mics yet.

The Hero video is super high quality though and the default lens setting is wide angle without too much fisheye, so you can run one forward, one rear to capture close to 360 degrees in HD. plus you can use one remote or a smart phone to control them, including simultaneous pictures/video. I run theyre car charger, which has two USB ports, so you can run two cameras off of it. (Im currently using the second just for remote charging until I get a second camera.)

For the price, I think the Hero3 is a great in-car video solution IMO, so Id personally save up.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I used an iPhone clipped to my p/s visor for awhile and it worked very well. You can run a USB charger to your center console for constant power but maybe bring something to events to download video depending on the drive size of your phone. I think the audio was even better than my Hero3, despite theyre revamping of it, but I havent tried any external mics yet.

The Hero video is super high quality though and the default lens setting is wide angle without too much fisheye, so you can run one forward, one rear to capture close to 360 degrees in HD. plus you can use one remote or a smart phone to control them, including simultaneous pictures/video. I run theyre car charger, which has two USB ports, so you can run two cameras off of it. (Im currently using the second just for remote charging until I get a second camera.)

For the price, I think the Hero3 is a great in-car video solution IMO, so Id personally save up.
Have you owned a hero 1 or 2 ? I want to mount one externally for sound and just better view. I tried using my Droid incredible 2 and the sound quality is not good at all. The video is ok but I'd like better.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No, this is my first Hero. I had an action cam (Oregon Scientific?) that I strapped to my mirror a couple times. Worked great until I put a towel under it and then lost it under a semi while lost on a club cruise, lol. No wind protection, though, so audio was useless. Havent put the Hero outside the car yet, might not till spring. Ive heard decent audio from a Hero2 without an external mic, on the back bumper, though. Definitely more testing needed.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
No, this is my first Hero. I had an action cam (Oregon Scientific?) that I strapped to my mirror a couple times. Worked great until I put a towel under it and then lost it under a semi while lost on a club cruise, lol. No wind protection, though, so audio was useless. Havent put the Hero outside the car yet, might not till spring. Ive heard decent audio from a Hero2 without an external mic, on the back bumper, though. Definitely more testing needed.
Thanks for the input .
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just tried my new Hero3 on a new year's cruise. I had it mounted at the top of the windshield & at lower speeds audio was acceptable. Once you get going, wind noise takes over. I'm looking into external mics now.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
I just tried my new Hero3 on a new year's cruise. I had it mounted at the top of the windshield & at lower speeds audio was acceptable. Once you get going, wind noise takes over. I'm looking into external mics now.
Thanks that is one of the main things I was worried about.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I know this sounds Chinsey but I glued radar detector stand/ suction to my old iPhone holder hit record on phone stuck it in the holder pointing out towards hood..... Worked perfect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-392555943.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	83833  
Bongadier is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video