2012 mustang base model speakers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2012 mustang base model speakers

What options are out there to upgrade the speakers in my car. Guys that have base speakers what do they most frequently move up to ?
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Are you looking to only do drop-in replacements for the speakers or do you want to do the whole package, amp, sub(s), etc? For just the speakers, I have seen a lot of people going with the Polk DB571s. Do you have any brand preferences?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a preference on brand I just want drop ins that sound good .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't have any real preference and just want something that'll work well, then I would probably go with the Polks (I personally went with Alpines, but that was more due to availability than anything else, ntm I have the 2013 Shaker system so my fronts are 5.25" with a 1" tweeter instead of 5x7/6x8 like the base stereo). I know people also go with the Infinity Reference 6832cf, but I'm not 100% on whether there is anything that needs to be done for them because their mounting depth is a bit bigger than the Polks. I wouldn't say there is too terribly much different between the two in terms of audio quality using the factory head unit.

Replacing the front speakers is far more important than the rears since I am pretty sure the OEM head unit sends most of its power to the fronts. That's not to say it isn't worth replacing them, but if you want to save money and do far less work (removing the rears is a pain unless you have a convertible), just do the fronts.

Also, in case you still want to keep the OEM wiring, you'll want to get a harness. I got the Metra 72-5600 (note that they come two in a pack, I didn't realize this so I have some extra laying around). The only problem with them is that they seem to have reversed the wiring's polarity. It doesn't matter so long as you replace all the speakers with them, but if you only do the fronts you'll want to either cut and splice them to reverse the wires or make sure you buy them from Crutchfield because for some reason those aren't reversed. If you don't do this, the speakers will be out of phase.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all this information man you've been a big help.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I tackled my Rear Speskers last night , took abt 2 hours, takes a little work to get everything pulled out of the way. And be careful if you have tinted windows , pulling out speakers you could ( I didn't) easily scratch your tint.
Overall I'd say its worth the time to upgrade the rears I can tell a pretty good difference.
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang View Post
And be careful if you have tinted windows , pulling out speakers you could ( I didn't) easily scratch your tint.
Forgot to mention that part of it. I absolutely did scratch my tint Had a brain fart and didn't think about how loosening the screw would cause the wrench to move closer to the window. Have a nice 3/4" gash that's not really visible unless you're right next to it, but I'll always know it's there.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a vert , so replacing the rear is easier ?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, they're easier. Someone on another forum came up with step-by-step instructions with pictures that should be really helpful :: Installed new front speakers - Page 9 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Tags
2012 mustang