Help me build better car audio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Help me build better car audio

Ok, new daily driver + stock speakers + kenwood headunit = garbage sound.

Help me build a decent sounding environment without going over the top. Mainly, I want to be able to listen to music clearly. I don't need kidney shaking bass, just clear sound, so I don't see the need for any subs right now.

Oh yeah, and this is to go into a 93 Hatchback.

I'd like to keep this on a budget. I don't need the total top end stuff. I just need the music to sound good.

I did some poking around crutchfield and picked out some things, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to car audio. Much help is needed.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of clear sound for the car...all the while trying to keep the price under $500? Or around there.

I'll have a model number on the kenwood head unit later tonight....right now I am going on the assumption that it does not need to be replaced. So, speakers for the car for under $500.

:beer:

Oh, my blind browsing led me to the following items:

Front Door
Infinity Reference 6020cs - 169.99
6.5" Component System

Dash
Infinity Reference 3022cf - 59.99
3-1/2" 2-way speakers (pair)

Back Seat
Infinity Reference 5022i - 84.99
5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

I'm guessing I would need 4 way amp or something for all of this...but yeah, thats where I am at right now.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Help me build better car audio

yeah i would get a small amp, however in-dash + door components might be overkill. you can probably ditch the dash 3.5"ers and stick the components tweeter in there instead. thats exactly what i did on my GST. However if you really want to, those 3.5" Infiniti's are good too.

Its gonna sound really good!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

i threw pioneers all the way around and its not too bad.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Infiniti is the way to go.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Cool, so then I am on the right track then? I wanted to go kicker, but they don't have all the speakers I want. I could do the kicker components in the doors and then kicker 2 ways in the rear. They just don't have anything for the dash. So, if I left those out, I could go kicker all the way around.

Oh, and my head unit is the KCD-222. I'm going to go look it up and get info on it. I'll prolly pick up whatever eclipse is out after I get the speakers. Right now, it's the 3200.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

if you decide just to do components up front and coaxials out back, you probably wont need a separate amp. If your deck can do 35-40x4 then unless you are a crazy audiophile you wont need the extra juice from an external amp.

btw i had the kicker components in the rear of the eclipse (built into the last of my enclosures) and they overpowered the infinity components i had up front. Id do an all Kicker setup if funds allow.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Road Trip!

i dont think you will want the amp, just because i know you arent a die hard audio guy, if you want extreme budget, lightning audio has a pretty good sound from walmart....seriousely, my brothers friend has them in his civic on a regular head unit and i was impressed...but i think ,Kicker or infiniti we plenty for what you want, clarions are favorite though, i dont think ive ever heard better than clarion.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

You wont need an amp. My buddies fox body had infinity all the way around on an Kenwood head unit. Dont recall the model. But it sounded really good.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, all of that is pretty promising then. I'll just pick up the speakers and see how things sound...then if need be, I'll get an amp if it just sounds like crap.

I may look at the wally world special too as has been recommended to me from a couple different people now.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

do a similar set up like the mach 460, except put little satellite tweeters by the windows, infinity 6x9s all the way around.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #11
03 mustang GT

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to kcfan_2004 Send a message via Yahoo to kcfan_2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
but i think ,Kicker or infiniti we plenty for what you want, clarions are favorite though, i dont think ive ever heard better than clarion.
Unless you live under a ****ing rock.. clarions are GARBAGE! Dont buy dash speakers if you go with a component in the front. It wont be worth much. I just put in focal components in the front and focal coaxs in the rear deck of my 03 GT. Goto woofersetc.com and buy focal from them. You will not be unhappy with that purchase. Also you can get it for under $500. I would strongly reccomend getting an amp for these though. Im using a kicker 200.4 amp and they sound amazing. You can get an amazing sound system for around $600 shipped from that site. If your not digging the focal (which youd be crazy not to) go with jl audio or rockford fosgate. If all else fails go with the kicker, there not bad either. (I just would prefer the better quality products for around the same price)
kcfan_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video