Where to Mount my New Amp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Where to Mount my New Amp?

I have an 02 Vert and I recently ripped out all the Mach 460 speakers and replaced them with Kicker's as they were all blown and am currently running off the New Clarion Double Din Headunit that I purchased and I must say I'm impressed thus far. I blew the dust off my old 12" audiobahn sub and amp and rewired them and the amp is having some overheating issues so I think its time for replacement. I'm getting a New Alpine 12" Type R subwoofer and a New Alpine MRP-M450 Mono channel amp, however before I had both the amp and speaker mounted on the box of the car, but now I want to mount the amp elsewhere as it tends to rattle a lot when next to the sub...go figure. Anyway Looking for input on where to mount the amp? The two locations I'm looking at right now are where the stock 460 Amps used to be which is right next to the convertible motor, or under one of the front seats? Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Where to Mount my New Amp?

Back of the rear driver side seat. You keep the seat folded down so no one sits there, and the amp stays plenty cool. Thats where mine is mounted and have had no problems yet.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure thats an option in a convertible as that is where the top folds down, but I'll look into it.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

My bad didnt even think about that.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I wouldn't put it under your front seat if your running any kind of real power through it. I see you burning it out very quick...

Just make sure it gets some airflow. I have mine mounted in my trunk and if you keep the back seats up in the summer it overheats in there. As soon as I fold them down it works great.

I am pushing about 1200 watts through a Power Acoustics Mono amp, 4 gauge power/ground wires. The thing gets hot enough to hurt you with the seats folded up.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok....I have a Convertible therefore I can't fold my seats down as previously stated, but thanks anyways. I know it needs good airflow thus why my old audiobahn is easily hot enough to fry an egg on as it resides in the trunk and probably gets little to no airflow. the Stock Mach Amps on a Convertible are/were located behind the trunk panel/next to the convertible motor in an area that doesn't look like it gets that much air either, which is why I'm contemplating mounting my new amp there. I think if all esle fails I will mount it there as thats where ford decided to mount the mach amps, but I still don't like the idea of mouting it there...Any other ideas of where to mount? Thanks for you input.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 07-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Put it in my car !!!! mount it in the trunk, build a box for it to mount to with fans

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Sounds like you have three options to me.
1) Place it where the old Mash systems were, invest in some more speaker wire (Rockford Fosgate Amp kits give plenty of it) and run the speaker wire down and away to your sub for a cleaner look.
2) Under the back seat, but I generally don't like this especially if the amp gets real hot.
3) Secure it back to the sub box, or build a little amp rack. You can extend the back of the sub box just slightly to fit the amp using MDF, wrap it yup with some carpet. You can also throw some other pieces to make it look more of a trapezoid shaped box, instead of a piece of wood attached to a box. There's also the option of building a separate amp rack, again to the side or from the top with carpet wrapped MDF, or a piece of stamped aluminum, or acrylic or other clear plastic. You can get show-ey too with a bright shine, engraving or LEDs, if you want to.

Then again the 'vert might not give you all that room to work with especially if you want to keep trunk space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video