Guidance needed: Installing Belkin Bluetooth Handsfree kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Guidance needed: Installing Belkin Bluetooth Handsfree kit

So I opted not to get the sync package because it looked clunky and slow, perhaps the salesman wasn't the best at demoing it. Two alternatives I'm considering are Belkin Bluetooth Handsfree or SuperTooth Buddy Bluetooth. Since I was hoping for bluetooth music and handsfree, I am focusing on the Belkin Bluetooth Handsfree because it seems it does everything I am hoping for.

I was thinking about intalling the button at the 5o'clock position from the gauge on the patch of plastic shown here:

and then running the 12V and AUX wires through the dash/concole into the center console. I'm not sure how to take the center dash or console apart to run the wires behind/underneath but thats the goal.

Does this sound like a solid plan or catastrophic failure? Anyone know of any guides of running the wires through dash and console? Is there a different bluetooth car kit I could consider that doesn't use the button? I plan on keeping the stock head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Button.png
Views:	243
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	94293  
DallasVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My opinion is this::::

Now this is only my opinion but I do think you made a terrible mistake not getting the My Ford Sync package. I have it and it works perfect in every way. I'm glad they did not make the navigating mandatory because I did not want that. I just have the sync package. Phone call, no problems at all, Directions are great. My dealer actually had a Ford expert on the sync come and show all new Ford owners how to use it and answer any questions. I think they have this class once a month at the dealers for their new customers. A great good service to his customers.

I have not had one thing disapointing about the sync on my 2012 Mustang.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure how much the salesman knew about it. We spent more time in the menus rather than getting to use it. I prefer android navigation, I cant stand how slow the in car navigation systems are.

Bad:
Music was slow, when I press next track it took several seconds to switch.
It took the salesman several times to call the correct person.
It routinely got the wrong commands.
I don't want to talk to my car to do things, seems stupid.

Good:
Music/Phone quality was great
Connected to my phone instantly
I'm a big fan of factory installed options, I don't need clutter of aftermarket wires etc.

I already ordered the bluetooth kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Man this seems like an awesome idea if you can get everything factory looking.
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll try to give an update by the end of the weekend. I'll be installing the Bluetooth, roush upper grille and AM lower grille on Saturday. I dont have a way to raise my car up at the moment, I'm guessing I need to find a way to raise it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I would go with the Belkin. You shouldn't have a issue running the cig plug or the aux line. Just pop the drivers knee panel down and route your wires there or pull the radio and run your wires in there and down to the center.

Personally I stay away from streaming music over BT. It just looses to much quality for my tastes. If all I'm doing is continuing to listen to a podcast I was listing to at work it's fine I just pop it on BT but once it's done and I want to listen to my music I plug my iPhone in.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Belkin is good. Also look at blue ant... how much are you spending on this? You could have a nice in dash screen with all the bells and whistles for a grand, less if you shop around. I put a pretty nice sony in my car recently, it has all the bluetooth goodies, DVD, pandora, usb and 1/8" inputs. no nav but I can view the MotionX nav on it from by hooking up my i-phone. I have also herd that some of the pioneer units dont work with i-phone OS 6, look into that if your an i-phone user.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Belkin is good. Also look at blue ant... how much are you spending on this? You could have a nice in dash screen with all the bells and whistles for a grand, less if you shop around. I put a pretty nice sony in my car recently, it has all the bluetooth goodies, DVD, pandora, usb and 1/8" inputs. no nav but I can view the MotionX nav on it from by hooking up my i-phone. I have also herd that some of the pioneer units dont work with i-phone OS 6, look into that if your an i-phone user.
$60, the cost of the unit itself.

I received the unit last night and played with it for 15 minutes.

+ Unit is smaller than I thought
+ It connected to my phone immediately
+ Music sounded great 8.5/10
+ Phone quality over speaker was pretty good 7/10.
+ Plenty of cord to install in the most logical of places with hidden wires.

- By holding and releasing the button you can call someone from your list. After 3 attempts, it never called the correct person. This might be something I can fix in android, because my usual voice dialer works great. This brought up a different one i've never seen before.
- My friend said they heard a buzzing noise when I talked. This is due to a poorly grounded AUX input but can be fixed with a $11 ground loop isolater, which I'll order soon.

I attached a new pic which diagrams the mounting points I am considering. Since the unit is almost always is glowing, I am trying to decide which mounting point was the most visually appealing. The circles are close to the actual size of the unit. I am strongly considering points 1 and 2. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Button.png
Views:	181
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	94690  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Installation complete, see attached.

I ran the wire behind the dash and under the console so it looks professionally done (hell probably better)! I did mess up slightly on the button placement, I wanted it slightly more to the left and a hair higher, but its 95% close enough. Be sure to get the button exactly where you want cause as soon as that sticker sticks, its not going anywhere.

I called two different people and they gave the quality an 8/10 when I spoke to them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	button done.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	94942  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Looks good!
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

Region: California
Hey DallasVictory. Really sorry for bumping an ancient thread but had a quick question. Does the device drain your car battery if kept plugged in at all times? I imagine with your setup you wanted it to be haasle-free without having to unplug/replug. Just wondering because I'm considering doing what you did and don't want to have to deal with that. Thanks!
VeeSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSixx View Post
Hey DallasVictory. Really sorry for bumping an ancient thread but had a quick question. Does the device drain your car battery if kept plugged in at all times? I imagine with your setup you wanted it to be haasle-free without having to unplug/replug. Just wondering because I'm considering doing what you did and don't want to have to deal with that. Thanks!
I doubt any of these people are still here.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSixx View Post
Several of my friends have since purchased ford focus's with the sync and they hate it. Keep in mind I purchased this module for primarily music listening and I give it a 10/10 for music. For talking on the phone its a bit of a different story. I occasionally receive complaints that it sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. I am curious if it because the wire is picking up ambient highway/transmission noises as a result of where i ran the wire. The complaints only seem to occur at highway speeds, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it though.

The bluetooth module works exactly how you think it would. It does not function until you turn the car on. When you turn the car off it works until you open the door. Lastly the USB port will still charge your phone regardless of the cars status, on or off. If your car is working normally, the device draw is so small that it doesn't matter.

10/10. Would buy again for my next vehicle if it worked like this one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video