If you have not yet upgraded your door speakers, read on! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you have not yet upgraded your door speakers, read on!

So, last Friday night I installed a set of Polk Audio 2-way coaxial speakers in the doors of my 2012 Shaker 500 Mustang.

I used these instructions:

Speaker install on 2012 Mustang - pics inside - Ford Mustang Forums

They were pretty spot on, but all the screws that were not Torx were 7mm, and the speakers were not in with bolts but T-15 Torx screws.

Overall, surprised with how easy it all came apart and back together, and no rattles!

Anyway, what a difference. I actually have highs now. $99 for the speakers at the Crutchfield store in town, included wiring adapter to just plug right into factory harness.

They are installing a Bass Link this evening. I elected to let them do that install.

But if you're on the fence, upgrade the door speakers. Easy, not expensive, and it DOES make a noticeable difference in sound quality. And I was one who thought it sound "pretty good" before.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I thought the speakers on the doors were subs LOL.. Sure the hell sound like subs in my car. As far as I know I have the Shaker 500 in my 13 GT.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The big ones are subs, the ones above those are two-way speakers made of paper and plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Which size are those speakers?
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

5 x 7
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I did 6x8, I actually did my door speakers when my car was less than a week old... I thought the factory speakers were terrible... I replaced with Pioneer and noticed much better sound quality right away... But after a couple of months of using it, I'm not happy with the sound quality at all... I noticed the difference after I got a 13 Focus, the sound quality of the factory of this one is much better than the Mustang for some reason. I don't know what happened, not sure if the "shaker" system blew them out prematurely?? I'm not an audio guy
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I upgraded doors and rears in mine with Infinity Kappa's and never looked back. It sounds way better than stock.

When I first got the car I read stuff about what a pain the rear's were cause "you have to take the whole rear seat out." Don't believe it. It took me less time then the doors. Just be careful and wrap the hard plastic body pieces in towels where they touch each other while your taking it apart and putting it back together. I did not and got in a hurry and scratched up one of the interior panels.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The bass link sounds awesome ... just had it installed.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm wanting to do the same thing and replace my door speakers, but I have the base stereo not the shaker system so I've read I would need to add an amp as well to make new door speakers sound any better, which is a bummer because I'm not well versed in car audio installation. The door speakers seem easy enough but I'm a little hesitant to do an amp myself.
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No, just replace the door speakers alone - it will make a difference. The speakers in the doors are crap. And if you add an amp later, you'll already have decent speakers. The speaker install is a cinch.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, so even with the base head unit replacing the door speakers will make a noticeable difference in sound?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you click the link to those instructions in my original post, the tutorial is for the base system. I am pretty sure that the wattage to the door speakers in the base system is probably the same as the Shaker (guessing).

Even if it doesn't get you 100% where you want to be, it's a step in the right direction so it won't be money wasted.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy seems to think just adding a powered sub for some more bass will make me happy, but I'm still thinking I would want to replace at least the front speakers eventually too. But I'm a little confused on some stuff, despite my attempts to research it all: If I add a powered sub now, and then later add door speakers and an amp to power those, will it be bad that I have the powered sub in addition to the external amp for the speakers? I really just want some balanced, clean sound with good clean bass, nothing crazy loud or expensive or anything. Any advice you guys might have would be great. I have to say, the base stereo in my 2012 V6 camaro sounded a lot better than the base stereo in my 2013 5.0...
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am not an expert either ... and the powered sub will be a requirement for good bass. I offer the door speakers as an option that quite frankly ANYONE can do (I did it) whereas as installing an amp and subs requires a little more skill.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well, crutchfield online helped me pick out 4 Pioneer speakers, a 4 channel amp to power them, and a powered sub for the trunk and said it comes with full instructions for me so I'm determined now to install myself!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6589 View Post
Well, crutchfield online helped me pick out 4 Pioneer speakers, a 4 channel amp to power them, and a powered sub for the trunk and said it comes with full instructions for me so I'm determined now to install myself!
I think you might have to remove doors to run new wiring
Ratraget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure you just need to remove door panels, not the entire doors
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Does anyone know the limits of the stock speakers included with the shaker 500 system? I'm always paranoid about blowing them i never turn my bass nor volume up over 50% LOL. Only becuase in all my previous vehicles i've played with the audio system, i've had plenty of experience with top companies like Memphis, Kicker, and JL Audio but i would finally just like to have a stock radio system for once that i havent tampered with. The sound quality is fine for me.
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filth and Fury View Post
Does anyone know the limits of the stock speakers included with the shaker 500 system? I'm always paranoid about blowing them i never turn my bass nor volume up over 50% LOL. Only becuase in all my previous vehicles i've played with the audio system, i've had plenty of experience with top companies like Memphis, Kicker, and JL Audio but i would finally just like to have a stock radio system for once that i havent tampered with. The sound quality is fine for me.
On the back they said 50w, but I doubt they'd last long at that level - they are very flimsy.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thanks for a fast reply!
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Nice info. I'm not very impressed with my Shakers
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Lol ok dumb question what is bass link?
GMSPNKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For the shaker500 i have my bass at +2 and my treble 2bars down from full and it sounds great even at loud volume.... I did however add an amp and a sub to the stock sound system just to beef up the bass alittle.... My damn rear view mirror vibrates and makes so much noise it sucks
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
For the shaker500 i have my bass at +2 and my treble 2bars down from full and it sounds great even at loud volume.... I did however add an amp and a sub to the stock sound system just to beef up the bass alittle.... My damn rear view mirror vibrates and makes so much noise it sucks
Ford built quality isn't the best lol, in the BMW I had it was much much better in vibration with the sound system.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
That's what I may end up doing. Saw a nice sub mount the other day where a 12" mounted in the right hand side of the trunk. Looked pretty clean.
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the shelby door subs and amp to upgrade the shaker 500 and its basically ok, alot better then stock but not a power house system...I also took the front door speakers out and put them in the rear and bought new pioneers for the doors because the factory door speakers are way better than the factory decklid speakers, i blew them in the first month,,,
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSPNKR View Post
Lol ok dumb question what is bass link?
Infinity Bass Link is an integrated 10" sub, 200 watt Class D amp, and enclosure. Available for around $200 more or less.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #29

Had a Basslink before and never really thought it did the trick - always muddled sound. If anyone wants one I'll sell them mine.

But to the topic - anyone know how much the stock head unit can push out?
Verruckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckt View Post
Had a Basslink before and never really thought it did the trick - always muddled sound. If anyone wants one I'll sell them mine.

But to the topic - anyone know how much the stock head unit can push out?
Apparently positioning matters a lot ... with a subtle amount of bass turned up, I have found that it gives a solid "thump" for most music. That said, I am not an audiophile or anything. Regardless, it's a HUGE improvement over stock IMO even if its not the best.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post

Apparently positioning matters a lot ... with a subtle amount of bass turned up, I have found that it gives a solid "thump" for most music. That said, I am not an audiophile or anything. Regardless, it's a HUGE improvement over stock IMO even if its not the best.
Where did you put it?
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Passenger side, corner facing to the left, with some space for the passive radiator in the back.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I installed the Alpine V70 amp it's 5 channel or 4 plus a sub output. It's small enough to put under a seat and produces enough power almost any aftermarket 6x8 or 5x7. I have still the factory door speakers which sound a lot better with the amp and a small kicker 10 in comp in the back. But I drag race so I can remove the sub box really easy and just tape the wire leads to save a little weight. The amp did add a little weight but it's only one amp vs two.
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2753144616.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	99340

Name:	image-3629724454.jpg
Views:	2317
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	99341

Name:	image-1421826612.jpg
Views:	2425
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	99342

Thats what i have now... My amp is mounted on the rear deck lid nice and stealth.. Small 200watt clarion and a 12" infinity sub... I can remove the sub easily
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I also replaced the door speakers in my "11 GT with Polk Audio coax speakers- liked them so much I bought another set for the rear shelf, and while I was at it, added an Infinity Basslink powered sub in the trunk. Sounds pretty fricking good, I must say- blows the stock stuff away. I gotta add, when I pulled the stock speakers out, I was amazed at how crappy and lightweight they were,
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video