Help:o - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Help:o

How do you hook up two amps to an aftermarket stereo? One for my sub and one for my speakers?
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
You need a radio that has at least 4 pre outs. One for your front channel and one for your sub channel. You will need a amp kit that is large enough to power your amps. So more than likely 4 or 0 ga that will go to a distribution block that then goes in to your amps. if your looking to run a 4 channel amp you will need a radio that has 6 pre outs. If you don't you can use RCA splitters but you will loose stereo sound, so you would only have fade or balance not both.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec_ View Post
You need a radio that has at least 4 pre outs. One for your front channel and one for your sub channel. You will need a amp kit that is large enough to power your amps. So more than likely 4 or 0 ga that will go to a distribution block that then goes in to your amps. if your looking to run a 4 channel amp you will need a radio that has 6 pre outs. If you don't you can use RCA splitters but you will loose stereo sound, so you would only have fade or balance not both.
Hmm okay.. What's a good stereo to get then for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't stray from the big brands. Alpine, pioneer, and kenwood are my favorites but Sony and JVC are solid radios and usually cost a little less. The price of the radio is going to go up the more pre outs it has.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't stray from the big brands. Alpine, pioneer, and kenwood are my favorites but Sony and JVC are solid radios and usually cost a little less. The price of the radio is going to go up the more pre outs it has.
Oh okay well yeah thanks for the info man appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know what you go with!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let us know what you go with!
Will do! I'm thinking of a Jensen with a pop out screen
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100

Will do! I'm thinking of a Jensen with a pop out screen
I would go with this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P6300BT.html

My first car audio stuff in my 90 geo was Jensen and it was junk. I moved up to alpine and infinity with my Pontiac and stayed with alpine but am trying some kicker and MTX in my mustang. I don't want to say don't cheap out on a deck you can find some good last year models on eBay for cheap but know that you will get what you pay for with the cheap brands.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would go with this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P6300BT.html

My first car audio stuff in my 90 geo was Jensen and it was junk. I moved up to alpine and infinity with my Pontiac and stayed with alpine but am trying some kicker and MTX in my mustang. I don't want to say don't cheap out on a deck you can find some good last year models on eBay for cheap but know that you will get what you pay for with the cheap brands.
Jl audio has the best subs in my opinion but they're over priced.. I had one not to long ago. It was amazing. Hot harder then the two 12" kicker compvr's i had
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Jl audio has the best subs in my opinion but they're over priced.. I had one not to long ago. It was amazing. Hot harder then the two 12" kicker compvr's i had
Yeah I like JL but at my current shop I don't get a discount on it. I'm an alpine fanboy. I love them.

The loudest stuff I've ever worked on was a alpine type r in a perfectly built box for a infinity G35. It was loud with the window down but that car is so air tight I thought I was going to die when you rolled up the window.
And the other two were jeeps one was two 12" comp VRS and the other was a 15" Orion hcca. When we were tuning that the first hit we were like "wow that's loud" the next string of base hits were so uncomfortable loud it was amazing.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I like JL but at my current shop I don't get a discount on it. I'm an alpine fanboy. I love them.

The loudest stuff I've ever worked on was a alpine type r in a perfectly built box for a infinity G35. It was loud with the window down but that car is so air tight I thought I was going to die when you rolled up the window.
And the other two were jeeps one was two 12" comp VRS and the other was a 15" Orion hcca. When we were tuning that the first hit we were like "wow that's loud" the next string of base hits were so uncomfortable loud it was amazing.
Damn that's crazy. I wanna hear them now lol
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I would never want to do it but I love hearing big set ups. I wish there was a bigger SPL community around me.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would never want to do it but I love hearing big set ups. I wish there was a bigger SPL community around me.
Yeah there's a lot here in San antonio
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It can be done without a stereo and preouts... Cross overs... If you wanna keep the stock stereo cause you like the stock look you gotta use cross overs
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
It can be done without a stereo and preouts... Cross overs... If you wanna keep the stock stereo cause you like the stock look you gotta use cross overs
I have an aftermarket stereo already.. kenwood with only one pre out
Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
How hard is this I wanna put a system in my car but want it to look stock and hide everything without butchering anything in the car?
94CobraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CobraUSMC

How hard is this I wanna put a system in my car but want it to look stock and hide everything without butchering anything in the car?
What is your definition of a system? You can easily replace stock speakers with aftermarkets. Do you just want to hook up a amp and sub? Or are you looking to install a aftermarket amp for your speakers?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I did crossovers with my first sub. It was alright.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What is your definition of a system? You can easily replace stock speakers with aftermarkets. Do you just want to hook up a amp and sub? Or are you looking to install a aftermarket amp for your speakers?
Like amp and subs probably keep stock inside speakers how well would this work out?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CobraUSMC

Like amp and subs probably keep stock inside speakers how well would this work out?
It would be fine, lots of people do this. All you will need is a sub, sub box, amp, amp hook up kit (power wire, ground wire, remote turn on wire, RCA cable, and some speaker wire) and a line out put converter (a device that turns the high level out put driving your speakers in to a low level input your amp will use to drive your sub).

I would plan on spending $500-600 for a budget system. $200 for the amp $75-150 for the sub $75-150 for the amp kit and $15 for the line out put converter.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It would be fine, lots of people do this. All you will need is a sub, sub box, amp, amp hook up kit (power wire, ground wire, remote turn on wire, RCA cable, and some speaker wire) and a line out put converter (a device that turns the high level out put driving your speakers in to a low level input your amp will use to drive your sub).

I would plan on spending $500-600 for a budget system. $200 for the amp $75-150 for the sub $75-150 for the amp kit and $15 for the line out put converter.
Craigslist can lower those prices. I got a jl audio w3v3-4 in a custom ported box for $120 and that thing hit hard! I loved it
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Craigslist can lower those prices. I got a jl audio w3v3-4 in a custom ported box for $120 and that thing hit hard! I loved it
I'd test anything from CL before I buy it. When I'm after cheaper stuff I'll hit up eBay usually you can get new old stock (last years model) at a big discount. And I'll look at amazon the only people making money off the stuff there selling is the mail man.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd test anything from CL before I buy it. When I'm after cheaper stuff I'll hit up eBay usually you can get new old stock (last years model) at a big discount. And I'll look at amazon the only people making money off the stuff there selling is the mail man.
Yeah same here. I got my audiopipe speakers from eBay. They're pretty good for $50
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the help guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video