Rca question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Rca question

I busted my Rca's and I bought new ones and installed them, the ends of my RCA have red and the other one is black. Does the red RCA go into the red output on my deck and my amp? And the white output goes with the black end of my RCA?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
99% Red is right side or positive. Consumer level products almost always color code to help customers with instal... As for your situation, you will want to connect red with red. And The black RCA to the white... wire color honestly does not matter as long as the red out of the stereo is hooked to the red input of the amp and the white is hooked to white... Otherwise everything will be out of phase and the system won't sound as good.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
99% Red is right side or positive. Consumer level products almost always color code to help customers with instal... As for your situation, you will want to connect red with red. And The black RCA to the white... wire color honestly does not matter as long as the red out of the stereo is hooked to the red input of the amp and the white is hooked to white... Otherwise everything will be out of phase and the system won't sound as good.
Perfect thNk you very much! Also reason why I bought Rca's is because my Rca's had broke into my amp, so that little stem that goes into the RCA is broke inside. And I've got one out but the other wont get out, any suggestions? This is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-27867478.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	102015  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution

Perfect thNk you very much! Also reason why I bought Rca's is because my Rca's had broke into my amp, so that little stem that goes into the RCA is broke inside. And I've got one out but the other wont get out, any suggestions? This is what it looks like.
You could try opining the amp and pushing them out from the inside.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec_ View Post

You could try opining the amp and pushing them out from the inside.
I had done that with the red RCA, but the white one is low and I can't get anything on the inside to push it out, Plus I can't find a spot to push out the white one, there's no opening at all to do it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had done that with the red RCA, but the white one is low and I can't get anything on the inside to push it out, Plus I can't find a spot to push out the white one, there's no opening at all to do it.
You could try a dab of superglue on a tooth pick and glue it to the broken end so you could pull it out that way. Just be sure not to use to much glue and glue the broken end in.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You could try a dab of superglue on a tooth pick and glue it to the broken end so you could pull it out that way. Just be sure not to use to much glue and glue the broken end in.
Right, thanks. I'll give that a shot tonight sometime, hopefully that works because I've been working at it for like a solid hour picking at it with a little tool I have, and trying to get it out Ive picked off half of it. So I almost got it just want an easier way so I don't ruin anything.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you had a narrow enough screw or drill bit you could try and get that to bite in to what's left and pull it out. Sorry I'm not coming up with a better solution. Just be careful I don't want you to wreck it! Let us know what happens.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you had a narrow enough screw or drill bit you could try and get that to bite in to what's left and pull it out. Sorry I'm not coming up with a better solution. Just be careful I don't want you to wreck it! Let us know what happens.
Ok thanks, maybe I'll try both if one doesn't succeed. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks, maybe I'll try both if one doesn't succeed. I'll let you know what happens.
Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good luck!
Not having any luck at all, is there any cleaner that I can put in the RCA input that won't harm my amp?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good luck!
Not having any luck at all, is there any cleaner that I can put in the RCA input that won't harm my amp?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:

Good luck!
No luck, can't get it out, I tried both methods and still in there and I don't want to ruin anything as its a really expensive amp. Is there anything else I could do? Like maybe a cleaner can get it out? Or take it to visions or future shop or what?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I suppose the options at this point would be to take it to a local car audio shop and see what they recommend, contact the manufacture of the amp and see if you can send it back for service, or see if you couldn't unsolder the old RCA connecter and solder in a new one.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You can spray some detox-it in there and not hurt anything... I have used compressed air before to get these out, nice & sticky chewing gum has worked too or some tape with the sticky side out.

If it is really stuck then you may have to replace that jack
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I suppose the options at this point would be to take it to a local car audio shop and see what they recommend, contact the manufacture of the amp and see if you can send it back for service, or see if you couldn't unsolder the old RCA connecter and solder in a new one.
Ok, ya Im thinking I might take it to a audio shop. That's probably my best bet so I don't ruin anything.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote:
You can spray some detox-it in there and not hurt anything... I have used compressed air before to get these out, nice & sticky chewing gum has worked too or some tape with the sticky side out.

Compressed air sounds like it may work, I have a great compressor at home. Maybe give detox-it aswell. Thanks for the options.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well hopefully it's not so stuck that I hVe to replace the jack but I'm taking it to an audio shop in about 2 hours. So I'll see how that goes.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Brought it to visions and they said for the price it would be for them to fix it would be too much and not worth it, they said they would have to take the whole amp apart. I find that bs but whatever. I don't know what to do.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Brought it to visions and they said for the price it would be for them to fix it would be too much and not worth it, they said they would have to take the whole amp apart. I find that bs but whatever. I don't know what to do.
What kind of amp is it?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What kind of amp is it?
1,200 watt Polk Audio, not sure what model, something like p200.1 or something like that.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Model is PA1200.1
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I don't usually recommend this but if you have tried everything else it is sometimes posable to push the broken pin inward enough for the new plug to fit. Not the best solution but if it works...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't usually recommend this but if you have tried everything else it is sometimes posable to push the broken pin inward enough for the new plug to fit. Not the best solution but if it works...
So just push the old pin that's in the RCA back far enough, or squish it enough to fit a new RCA plug? If that's my last option maybe ill try that but I don't want to push through to the other side, because the solder that's holding all the RCA Down is getting lose
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, pretty much... Just be gentle and use the new plug to push it in. If you get the new plug in there just leave it alone
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, pretty much... Just be gentle and use the new plug to push it in. If you get the new plug in there just leave it alone
Ok I'll try that tonight but it's pretty Jammed in there, if not i have a friend that might be able to do it tomorrow and ill take it to him and see. Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
How much was the audio shop going to charge you to take it apart? if you're handy with electronics do it yourself. That's what i would do anyway. but i've been taking crap apart for many years

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
How much was the audio shop going to charge you to take it apart? if you're handy with electronics do it yourself. That's what i would do anyway. but i've been taking crap apart for many years
They wouldn't tell me how much, they just said too much for it not to be worth it. I'm not very good with amps so I wouldn't know how, I'm getting a friend to try and fix it right now, well see how that goes!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck

LCMC Member
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good luck
Thanks! I got it fixed, there was a metal piece at the back that he just pulled out? Like a slot, and the we pushed the RCA piece out and it was done! Didn't take long and It costed me $20 for him to do it, and visions said it wouldn't be worth it cause it's too hard and it would take too long..
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

just goes to show you just how much "experience" car audio places have......

LCMC Member
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just goes to show you just how much "experience" car audio places have......
Yup.. It's kinda pathetic, anyways I appreciate the help from you and others! Thank you for the tips and tricks, I do appreciate it!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Can't pm you your inbox is full.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't pm you your inbox is full.
There we go try again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video