Harness for aftermarket stereo install in 05? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Region: California
Harness for aftermarket stereo install in 05?

bought 05 last week used, paid to have dealer install 3.5mm audio jack for music on shaker 500...long story short, his $200 "dealer approved" option sucked.

So rather than to buy the ~$100 plug, feels like throwing good money after bad. Rather use $100 toward REAL stereo.

Planning on installing Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS...BUT not sure how well wiring will play with each other. I have heard the Shaker 500 has external amp(?) and so the output of the pioneer would connect to existing amp input?

I have found this; Amazon.com: Stereo Wire Harness Ford Mustang 05 2005 (car radio wiring installation parts): Car Electronics

But it clearly says this;
IF YOU CURRENT CAR RADIO STAYS ON AFTER THE KEY IS REMOVED (BEFORE DOOR IS OPENED) THIS HARNESS WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY!

which Shaker 500 does.

What am I missing?
Supercommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Your dash kit is a metra 99-5807 and the wire harness is a metra 70-5521.

With the shaker 500 you may experience a pop from the speakers as the radio turns on. This is because the ford amp turn on voltage is 5 volts and the after market radios turn on is 12volts. If you put a 1.5k resistor or a 5v regulator in the amp turn on line it will be fine.

I have a 05 with the shaker 500 I used a 5v regulator but in the fords I've worked on at the shop I work at we use the 1.5k resistors.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Region: California
Tec,

Thanks for reply. I have looked at Metra site, it appears you must be a dealer to buy from them...no "buy it now", you must register as a dealer...
Supercommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercommuter
Tec,

Thanks for reply. I have looked at Metra site, it appears you must be a dealer to buy from them...no "buy it now", you must register as a dealer...
Any local shop including best buy will have the parts for around $20.00 a pice. But you should be able to find them cheaper on amazon, just type in the model #
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercommuter View Post
bought 05 last week used, paid to have dealer install 3.5mm audio jack for music on shaker 500...long story short, his $200 "dealer approved" option sucked.

So rather than to buy the ~$100 plug, feels like throwing good money after bad. Rather use $100 toward REAL stereo.

Planning on installing Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS...BUT not sure how well wiring will play with each other. I have heard the Shaker 500 has external amp(?) and so the output of the pioneer would connect to existing amp input?

I have found this; Amazon.com: Stereo Wire Harness Ford Mustang 05 2005 (car radio wiring installation parts): Car Electronics

But it clearly says this;
IF YOU CURRENT CAR RADIO STAYS ON AFTER THE KEY IS REMOVED (BEFORE DOOR IS OPENED) THIS HARNESS WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY!

which Shaker 500 does.

What am I missing?
I have a JVC deck in my 05 convertible all I needed was a new harness. And yes the stereo stays on just like with the shaker. I got 2 10" JL's in my truck also. My stereo works great. Voltage in the car is steady and clean. The stock amp is for the stock speaker and sub, that big speaker on the door, is a sub I have mine disconnected because of my trunk subs. Yes use the existing amp because the wires that come thought the deck port are already ran there anyways so no worries. You will have to get a whole new harness though, I did. You might also have to leave a certain wire disconnected for the radio play. But my JVC after market plays after key is removed. So not sure what's going on.
Try this site
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/searc...ustang+harness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2502827251.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	105098   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208433292.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	105099  

Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

Where do the blue wires from the metra wire harness connect to from the stock wires!
eharper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video