Stereo Upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Stereo Upgrade

OK, this is my first post. Two weeks ago I bought a 2013 Mustang GT Premium, MT, Black. I ordered the Scosche 1441 dash kit, a Kenwood DNX890HD Nav Double din, the Maestro RR harness along with the FOR01 and ALL01 harnesses for retaining Sync and steering wheel controls and all that jazz. I found a shop with a good rep to install all this for $275.

However, I'm not happy with the sound quality of the Shaker 500 and looking to upgrade. I feel like others do that the speakers in the door are very muddy and when I turn it up I get a lof of rattling in the bottom part of the door panel from the bass. There is nowhere I can put my hand to make the rattling go away effectively. When I spoke with the shop about the door problem they recommended I install a sub in the trunk so I can turn the bass down so the doors don't rattle and still get strong bass. They also said regarding the muddy midrange door speakers that swapping them out would not improve the sound quality much because the Shaker 500 is an "amplified system." My questions.... (sorry for the long post but I love my car and am spending a lot of $ to get it right)

By replacing the shaker HU with the Kenwood, am I going to lose total power to the midrange door speakers? I can't find a solid answer on if those are powered directly by the Shaker HU or if it runs through an amp, and if it runs through an AMP will I still be able to run the Kenwood through the amp? I don't want to buy nice new door speakers and then find out I'm underpowering them.

Would you guys recommend Dynamatting the door panels to try and reduce the rattle in addition to installing the trunk sub?
GTBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Sorry, wasn't familiar with the layout of the Mustang Evolution forums so I imagine I'm about to get yelled at for posting in the wrong spot, should have been in Audio... my bad. Is anybody able to move this?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
But your bass to +2 and your treble to 2 bars down from full and and your fader to +1
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Well that might be optimal setup for the Shaker HU, but I am replacing it with the Kenwood HU and am unsure how things will change. If I have more power going to the door speakers it makes sense to change them out for better ones. If I will have less power then I need to either leave the speakers alone, or buy an amp along with better speakers.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBeastMode View Post
Well that might be optimal setup for the Shaker HU, but I am replacing it with the Kenwood HU and am unsure how things will change. If I have more power going to the door speakers it makes sense to change them out for better ones. If I will have less power then I need to either leave the speakers alone, or buy an amp along with better speakers.
your sending more power, almost promise. Your kenwood is probably 50W RMS per channel. The stock head units are good for maybe 10-15W. Upgrade your speakers to some better two way speakers. You will be happy.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No system is 50 watts RMS, that's always peak power, and basically standard on most after market systems. The RMS on that system is 22 watts. I tried finding the RMS on the Shaker system, the only thing I found said 25 watts, which wouldn't suprise me. Everything I've read has just said that switching out the speakers is all you need for better sound. The added bonus of the aftermarket headunit is additional features, like nav, and the fact that you'll get a full equalizer to dial in the sound to your liking!
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the shaker 500 in a premium with nav and am disappointed that the bass isn't cleaner. I'm to

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

(Stupid send button is to close to edit text)

Toying with the idea of moving up to a convertible from the hardtop and not getting the stock stereo and instead putting in an Alpine Nav system with their backup camera. Good luck and I will be watching this thread!
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Mine sounds like **** too. I am.very disappointed. My shaker system in my 07 GT sounded much better. But I figure ill just replace the speakers later. Still it shouldnt be sounding this bad...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Got my phone hooked up through Bluetooth, installed the Acid Audio app and noozy. Sounding sweet here
buschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I get better audio through USB mostly. It's weird... Some days the volume is good, other days it seems to reduce the volume by 30% for no particular reason. And I can't reset it. I think it's Microsoft (sync) not playing nice with my Apple (iPhone)... Jobs v Gates... LOL
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I should try that. I use the aux port. I haven't use sync yet with my music..I need to do that! Lol. I have the S4 so hopefully I dont have the issues you have!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Maybe I should try that. I use the aux port. I haven't use sync yet with my music..I need to do that! Lol. I have the S4 so hopefully I dont have the issues you have!
Its kind of a trade off. Mine sounded much better when using bluetooth because i have a really nice music app with a rockin equalizer on my phone, which allowed me to tweak it more. But i honesty use my 32gig thumb drive in the USB 98% of the time because i like having all the music info on the screen, and being able to use sync to pull up exactly what i want to hear.

But i couldn't agree more about poor quality of the sound. I plan on upgrading the door speakers sometime in the future, but enjoy the sound of the exhaust to much right now to worry about it. Haha
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Its kind of a trade off. Mine sounded much better when using bluetooth because i have a really nice music app with a rockin equalizer on my phone, which allowed me to tweak it more. But i honesty use my 32gig thumb drive in the USB 98% of the time because i like having all the music info on the screen, and being able to use sync to pull up exactly what i want to hear.

But i couldn't agree more about poor quality of the sound. I plan on upgrading the door speakers sometime in the future, but enjoy the sound of the exhaust to much right now to worry about it. Haha
I agree. Ill do mine later but def not a priority and def wont be when I slap some Borla on lol
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
How much for the Kenwood DNX HU ? I've been thinking about upgrading mine , may has well I'm going to mod everything else.

I've even thought about upgrading the door subs myself to maybe something like the 8" kickers they look like a direct replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2435587847.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	108327  
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschris View Post
Got my phone hooked up through Bluetooth, installed the Acid Audio app and noozy. Sounding sweet here
What does this app do?
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #16

865 no tax or shipping from amazon. All the major retaikers are 1100 or 1200, but i have no warranty i believe cause it was a private seller. Its designed to integrate fully with Sync if you buy the Maestro harnesses. I would have liked the 990 that has email, web, facebook, etc by tethering to a cell phone, but I couldnt find any good deals.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang View Post
How much for the Kenwood DNX HU ? I've been thinking about upgrading mine , may has well I'm going to mod everything else.

I've even thought about upgrading the door subs myself to maybe something like the 8" kickers they look like a direct replacement
That won't fit in the door. It's 8", but the magnet is far too deep to fit in the door, plus they require a box. They do make what's called free air subs, you'd have to look for an 8" free air, or you'd have to do a good amount of customization.

On another note, I'm completely satisfied with my Shaker system. I have an Alpine type R 10", a HiFonics 750 watt amp, and a 0.5 farad capacitor that I've carried over from my last two vehicles, took it out of my last car when I traded it in, and planned on putting it in, but I don't see the need now. It's just more weight, and I don't listen to my music that loud anymore, but as all things, its personal preference. It could also be that I am streaming from my bluetooth 90% of the time, and I have an HTC Droid DNA which has Beats Audio software, which is NOT a gimick at all, it makes a huge difference. The aux port is almost always the worst audio quality, that's probably your issue right there.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I love my shaker500... I added a 12" infinity sub and a little clarion 200watt and it sounds wicked... Although my rear view mirror rattles a lot thats my only issue but it sounds great.. My box is alittle big but its easily removed when going to the track and my amp is nice a hidden on the rear trunk lid between the rear speakers... I keep my bass at the half way mark and my treble at +8 and i let the sub work the lows an the speakers for midrange

Name:	image-1549562682.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	108457

Name:	image-402579074.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	108459
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post

What does this app do?
Basically it's like Beats Audio, but better. You need to be rooted and run a custom ROM
buschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm wanting to put a little better speakers in, anyone know the stock sizes, and what the wattage is.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I'm wanting to put a little better speakers in, anyone know the stock sizes, and what the wattage is.
go to crutchfield.com , they have all the info you need
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

go to crutchfield.com , they have all the info you need
It didn't tell me a thing.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

It didn't tell me a thing.
Did you enter your car in ”fit my car” tool?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

Did you enter your car in ”fit my car” tool?
Yes, a lot of products came up, but it didn't tell me if stock was 6", 8", 6x9, let alone what the wattage is.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #25

Crutchfield has not researched Mustang door speakers yet, only rear deck, so it won't list any compatible door speakers. I'm under the impression that for 2013 no speakers will fit directly, you need to buy an adapter or jury rig something.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBeastMode View Post
Crutchfield has not researched Mustang door speakers yet, only rear deck, so it won't list any compatible door speakers. I'm under the impression that for 2013 no speakers will fit directly, you need to buy an adapter or jury rig something.
Damn, sorry guys I tried, give it a few months and it will be up there probably
Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
I love my shaker500... I added a 12" infinity sub and a little clarion 200watt and it sounds wicked... Although my rear view mirror rattles a lot thats my only issue but it sounds great.. My box is alittle big but its easily removed when going to the track and my amp is nice a hidden on the rear trunk lid between the rear speakers... I keep my bass at the half way mark and my treble at +8 and i let the sub work the lows an the speakers for midrange
Where did you tap in for a signal to your amp? I have the shaker 500 and am looking to do the same as you.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t334082/

Don't know much bout the prem version but the stock speakers sound great with a high pass filter and external sub in the trunk. Check out my thread above.
GWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Moved to audio & video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #30

Does anybody know what the Rms from the Shaker 500 HU to the door and rear deck speakers is for 2013's? I replaced the door speakers with Infinity Reference 6832's, and I have 2 more for the rear deck that I will have put in when I get my dash adapter, along with a 4x50rms amp, I'm just wondering how the 50rms from the amp will compare with my Shaker HU...

I also bought an Alpine 10" Type R with an Alpine MRP M500 amp. My whole holdup now is that my Scosche adapter is on backorder, not sure how long. I am kind of interested in a new dash adapter idatalink is coming out with, but they don't know when they plan on releasing it.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #31

OK, I finally got everything installed. I made a video but right now my Mobile App won't let me post it and it is too big for my phone to email. Hopefully I will be able to get that video up.

Instead of the Metra or Scosche dash kits, I got the recently released MUS1dash kit from iDataLink to go along with there Maestro RR harness which connects everything and retains Sync, gives you access to custom gauges, tire pressure, etc. The dash kit is really nice. There is no way I would consider the Metra or Scoshe kits after having put in this one. I pared it with the Kenwood DNX 890HD. The MUS1 puts the navigation higher then the other kits, and puts a small storage compartment plus two USB plugs at the bottom of the dash. It retains the stock display and puts 5 buttons in between that give you 10 customizable functions (press, press and hold). The head unit, when paired with the Maestro RR, allows me to view a number of custom gauges, tire pressure, and have touchscreen controls of the HVAC system. The fit and finish of the dash kit is superb. The material appears OEM, but having the touch screen rather than all the stock buttons looks really nice, especially at night.

When I originally got the car back the Sync steering wheel buttons were not working (volume, seek, and cruise control worked) so I tried using the Kenwood phone system, and people complained that it was not clear, plus I could not call somebody by saying there name. Also, I liked how I could press a button on the steering wheel and name a song off the USB I have plugged into the Sync system and it would play it. With just the Kenwood system I could not call for a song or dial by name, I had to search for it using the touchscreen which is not safe while driving. I took the car back and they verified they had the wires hooked up correctly (which they did) and then reflashed the RR and everything worked.

I have my custom gauges set for RPM, Mass Air Flow, Throttle Plate Position, instantaneous fuel economy, and Engine load. There are a ton of other options such as intake temperature and pressure, coolant temperature, speed, timing advance in degrees, etc.

I also had a 300W RMS sub amp and a 10" Alpine sub put into the back, and the two door speakers and the rear deck speakers are running off a 60RMS per channel Rockford Fosgate Prime 300-4 amp. The 8" door subs are running off the stock amp. It used to be that to have deep bass would result in my doors rattling. I took them apart, put sound deadening material in, checked the tightness on everything, but the problem did not get much better. Now that those door subs are only a small part of the whole system and most of the bass is coming from the trunk, either the doors are not rattling as much, or by the time the music gets loud enough to rattle them, it is loud enough to drown out the rattling. I'm not sure but either way everything sounds great.

One note about the 5 customizable dash buttons - when using the kenwood touchscreen controls you can't adjust the HVAC until the unit has booted up, about 30 seconds. Set the 5 buttons to give you the commands you would like to be able to use immediately to get around this. Also, sometimes it is more convenient to push a button for "Temperature Up" then go to the climate screen. My buttons are set as (press/press and hold) 1: Climate Screen/Navigation Screen 2:Temperature Down/Gauges Screen 3: Temperature up/Vehicle Info Screen 4: AC On/Off/ Fan Down 5: Rear Defrost On/Off/ Fan Up.

The navigation is Garmin. I've always used navigation off my phone so I don't have much to compare to but I feel its pretty good.

I don't think he is on this site, but thanks to 12V guy who is on some other sites for helping out with some installation issues.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the kind words! I am here too.. I try to monitor as many of the forums as I can without getting a divorce.

Cheers,

12V Guy
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video