Added Xm/Sirius to my factory radio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Added Xm/Sirius to my factory radio

Couldn't find much posted on this so I figured I would share my experiences. I ordered a module and install kit from xmfanstore, you need to have the Sirius button on your dash for it to be compatible. Got it yesterday and installed it last night.

Installation was pretty much plug and play, they do however need to be plugged in and a certain sequence. The xm module needs to be plugged into the converter before connecting it all to the radio. This is stated in the directions, but I usually don't read the directions until after the fact..lol

Once I finally gave in and read the directions it was fairly simple install and now my car has satellite radio, with all the controls for the factory radio working to control it. It all tucks up in under the radio fairly neat for a factory look. Once the trim is all put back in place you can't tell it is even there. With the exception of the antenna of course. I routed this along the door trim into the truck and placed the antenna on the deck lid. I could not bring myself to drill the hole in the deck lid for the factory install look there, but there is a strip of plastic to cover the wire with 3m tape on it to conceal the wire. Probably took two hours to install, fairly simple.

I am very happy with the end results.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge450 View Post
Couldn't find much posted on this so I figured I would share my experiences. I ordered a module and install kit from xmfanstore, you need to have the Sirius button on your dash for it to be compatible. Got it yesterday and installed it last night.

Installation was pretty much plug and play, they do however need to be plugged in and a certain sequence. The xm module needs to be plugged into the converter before connecting it all to the radio. This is stated in the directions, but I usually don't read the directions until after the fact..lol

Once I finally gave in and read the directions it was fairly simple install and now my car has satellite radio, with all the controls for the factory radio working to control it. It all tucks up in under the radio fairly neat for a factory look. Once the trim is all put back in place you can't tell it is even there. With the exception of the antenna of course. I routed this along the door trim into the truck and placed the antenna on the deck lid. I could not bring myself to drill the hole in the deck lid for the factory install look there, but there is a strip of plastic to cover the wire with 3m tape on it to conceal the wire. Probably took two hours to install, fairly simple.

I am very happy with the end results.
Could you post a link to exactly what you purchased? I am in the same boat and would like to add this soon.
Finkikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I know this is from a while ago, but any word on what the OP used??

A link or part number would be great. I'm really missing sat radio.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry it took me a while to respond. This is the what I used.

Complete Sirius Install Kit for Factory Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Vehicles
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry it took me a while to respond. This is the what I used. Complete Sirius Install Kit for Factory Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Vehicles
Awesome. Thanks!

When you use the radio do you press the Sirius button or do you use the aux button?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The Sirius button, once installed it functions just like a factory install.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

With the exception that for some reason you only have the ability to have 5 preset channels.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Sirius button, once installed it functions just like a factory install.
Perfect. Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No problem, if you run into any problems with the install or any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd be wary of spending too much money on satellite radio, they've been losing money for years now mainly due to internet radio like Slacker/Pandora or the fact that you can put like 10,000 songs on your smartphone and just plug it in/go when you are in the car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd be wary of spending too much money on satellite radio, they've been losing money for years now mainly due to internet radio like Slacker/Pandora or the fact that you can put like 10,000 songs on your smartphone and just plug it in/go when you are in the car.

Good point, I tried the smart phone and CDs. Just missed having the sat radio. For me It was worth it, but it was defiantly a expensive upgrade. It is one that I use every time I start the car though.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I just throw my phone in the dock and its immediately connected to the radio. Fire up slacker or iheartradio or whatever and g2g. Or just pull up something out of the 20 gigs of songs I have on the thing. MicroSD card slot ftw!
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video