Mounting GPS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Question Mounting GPS

1st post.. got my 4th mustang 2 weeks ago. Amazed at the V6 in my 2013.

Anyone get creative in mounting your GPS? The plug is right by the windshield so it seems like a lighter mount would look good. Didn't know if anyone has found a better spot for it. Down the line I will get a new stereo setup with built in NAV but for now a garmin will have to do.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Amazing site!!!
skycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My 99 dollar TOM TOM mounted on its 12 dollar holder that plugs into the accessory outlet at the top center of the dash works great when I need the wench to tell me where to go.

The money saved is used for other go faster goodies!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I use this one it's called gripgo it mounts to the windshield or the dash! It's pretty cool technology the green stuff sticks to ur GPS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1953673448.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	115546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #4

I was thinking about going with Panavise and have a wire run to the fuse box for. A clean look that wont obstruct my view.Amazon.com: Panavise Ford Mustang 2010 2011 2012 InDash Mount: Car Electronics

Once installed I will post pics.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

ARKON GPS Mount from Amazon $12.95

I love this GPS Mount.

It fits into the lighter socket in the middle of my dash on my 2012. I bought it from Amazon about 6 months ago and love it.They come either with a USB or a Lighter connector for the GPS (Depending on what your GPS can use) It came with a swivel in the center so I removed that to shorten up the bracket. It plugs into the recepticl on the dash and fits way to loose so I put some tape on the plastic around the metal on the plug to tighten it up. It works fine.

I have a Garmin 350 that uses a usb connected to the Garmin mount. I can just always leave the mount connected when I'm not needing the GPS. Newer Garmins require using a lighter plug so if you order one make certain you get the proper one.

This setup is so clean on my Mustang people think it is part of the car. No wires hanging or anything unsightly at all.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I love this GPS Mount.

It fits into the lighter socket in the middle of my dash on my 2012. I bought it from Amazon about 6 months ago and love it.They come either with a USB or a Lighter connector for the GPS (Depending on what your GPS can use) It came with a swivel in the center so I removed that to shorten up the bracket. It plugs into the recepticl on the dash and fits way to loose so I put some tape on the plastic around the metal on the plug to tighten it up. It works fine.

I have a Garmin 350 that uses a usb connected to the Garmin mount. I can just always leave the mount connected when I'm not needing the GPS. Newer Garmins require using a lighter plug so if you order one make certain you get the proper one.

This setup is so clean on my Mustang people think it is part of the car. No wires hanging or anything unsightly at all.

Ronnie
Exactly what I was looking for. Do you by chance know the model number? THANKS!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Easy as this

Go to :
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

In the Amazon search put in ARKON Lighter Mount for GPS.

Make certain your GPS will work if a USB is used. If not they also have the ARKON with the plug you will need to use your lighter plug on the GPS.

When you do get it and it fits loose in your socket just get some velcro tape and cut some strips to use on the plastic ( Not the metal) on the plug. Mine is nice and tight and I really don't want to remove it to take a picture. You can see what I'm saying when you get the mount and plug it in.

It is like most of this stuff you buy. The people that invent it don't seem to use it and it always needs some modifications to work properly.

I really like mine and if I ever get a new GPS I will get the other one that uses a lighter socket but my Garmin 350 works perfect and I like the way the traffic function works on it without a bunch of stupid advertisements.

Ronnie
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Go to :
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

In the Amazon search put in ARKON Lighter Mount for GPS.

Make certain your GPS will work if a USB is used. If not they also have the ARKON with the plug you will need to use your lighter plug on the GPS.

When you do get it and it fits loose in your socket just get some velcro tape and cut some strips to use on the plastic ( Not the metal) on the plug. Mine is nice and tight and I really don't want to remove it to take a picture. You can see what I'm saying when you get the mount and plug it in.

It is like most of this stuff you buy. The people that invent it don't seem to use it and it always needs some modifications to work properly.

I really like mine and if I ever get a new GPS I will get the other one that uses a lighter socket but my Garmin 350 works perfect and I like the way the traffic function works on it without a bunch of stupid advertisements.

Ronnie
I did that.. they all looked a lot longer than yours. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

DUH !!!!! DUH !!!!!

I think I said in my first Post :
I Said this:
Quote:
It came with a swivel in the center so I removed that to shorten up the bracket.
I know that was probably hard to remember. I'm sorry I was not more clear.

Ronnie
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
I think I said in my first Post :
I Said this:

I know that was probably hard to remember. I'm sorry I was not more clear.

Ronnie
Thanks.

Why oh why did I ever let my SVT go! :banghead:
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

When you get it you can see how it is two pieces

It was easy to remove one of the long sections to make it just the right size for our Mustangs. Mine did fit loose in my car socket so I just stuck some Velcro strips to size and put on the end along side of the springs to get it nice and tight.

I don't know why they just could not put four springs on this end then just the two.

Like I said, People invent great things but they don't use them. If they did they would revise the item to get it as perfect as possible. Adding two more sprigs would not have been a problem during the manufacturing process. Then it would not fit so crappy and loose.

My fix worked great and it does not move at all. It is in to stay until I want to remove it.

Ronnie
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This is where my GPS is .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	115831  
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
This is where my GPS is .
Show off!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm sorry . I had to do that
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I'm sorry . I had to do that
I would do the same! Haha.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #16

Region: Texas
I have the same mount and it's way too loose and never keeps a connection. I thought about tape also. What kind of tape did you use?
darrentexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just used some velcro tape

I cut it into small strips

I also took one section off to make it shorter.

I have the Nuvi 350 and it uses the USB but you can also get this with a lighter connecter.

Ronnie
Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #18

I tried all that and still couldn't get it to stick in there tight enough or maintain a charge connection....grrrr...lol
darrentexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Check for blown fuse

Unscrew the cap and check the fuse. It may just be a blown fuse. I think this is a great design for a GPS mount but it is just made as cheap and crappy as can be.
Just think if the idiots that put this out did their homework and made a nice higher quality product they could charge a lot more and sell plenty of them just through word of mouth. Being greedy and stupid is not the way to run a business.
Ronnie
Old 03-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I cut it into small strips

I also took one section off to make it shorter.

I have the Nuvi 350 and it uses the USB but you can also get this with a lighter connecter.

Ronnie
This is cool!
GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video