Head unit install help?!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Head unit install help?!?!

Hi I am considering installing a Sony head unit in my 94 gt convertible with the mach 460 I plan to keep everything the same besides changing the head unit. I already found the correct wire harness from crutch field and I heard after you put in a aftermarket head unit the tweeters get too much watts and short out. How can I install the head unit/have working tweeters?? Any tips
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If I were you I would change out the speakers and toads the tweeters... I had a 460 system Nd I bypassed it... Idk if there is anyway to stop to much power from going to the tweeters... Because when you cross the wire with each speaker wire on the head unit your getting power to both tweeter nd speaker
Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Call crutchfield back and ask for bass blockers. they look like big resistors and you splice them in the positive side of the speaker wire to each tweeter. Its easy and they cost only a couple bucks. They work by filtering out the low frequenxy ( which cause the popping and eventually blow out) leaving nothing but high frequencies to the tweeter which is what they are made to do
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Call crutchfield back and ask for bass blockers. they look like big resistors and you splice them in the positive side of the speaker wire to each tweeter. Its easy and they cost only a couple bucks. They work by filtering out the low frequenxy ( which cause the popping and eventually blow out) leaving nothing but high frequencies to the tweeter which is what they are made to do
Thanks
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcap View Post
If I were you I would change out the speakers and toads the tweeters... I had a 460 system Nd I bypassed it... Idk if there is anyway to stop to much power from going to the tweeters... Because when you cross the wire with each speaker wire on the head unit your getting power to both tweeter nd speaker
A good set of 2 way speakers and a good head unit with the factory amp bypassed is going to sound better than the Mach 460 system and that is fact. I agree with the above to just ditch the 460 stuff. My old DD that I am parting out has four Pioneer 6x8s and they sounded much better than even my bud's Mach 1000 system when it was brand new. I'd have to look way back to find what model they are but they weren't cheap. They weren't super expensive either.

Quote:
This will work to save the tweeters if you want to keep the Mach system. I dunno I prefer my Stangs without the Mach stuff, think it looks much cleaner but if you like it and want to keep it then install the bass blockers.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea exactly cause today... The tweeters are built into the speakers... In the 460 system everything is separated because its so old.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I did not know that. I have the same problem with too much bass in the tweeters. Got the fader favoring the rear speakers. Will be calling Crutchfield. Now how hard is it to get the tweeters out? Lol
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video