Could too much air make subs sound like crap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
Could too much air make subs sound like crap?

Ok so my subs sound like crap I screwed them in the box myself but I did a poor job of doing it and one of them sticks out a little letting some air in the box it's supposed to be a sealed enclosure so could this be causing it? Also wheni gointo the subwoofers section of my head unit I put the subs from normal to reverse and they sound a lot better but not as good as they should what exactly does reverse do?

NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Massachusetts
Yes A sealed box should stay sealed and it could be cause the problem. And the reverse setting is probably just an equalizer setting that bumps the bass and etc.. Up.

Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
Sealed boxes sound terrible when they have a leak.
zinc_yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
A couple of things:

As others have stated, a sealed box should have no leaks.

You should always have a good flat, secure mounting for your woofer. This will prevent frame tweak too. You wrote one of them sticks out a little. If the woofer won't drop in (A little snug is okay) the hole is not the right size. Correct that and please DO NOT force the woofer in by driving the screws in to try and "make" it fit. It can affect performance and sound. (suspension and cone movement won't be linear)

Is the enclosure the right size for the woofer? (Internal volume, etc. based on ratings of woofer.)
Is the woofer the right kind for the enclosure? (Designed for the enclosure you have. Ported, sealed, large, small enclosure)

The phase switch is there to reverse polarity of the sub. So it moves in or out of phase. Correct the speaker mounting and enclosure stuff first and then select the phase switch position that sounds best. Here's a small article from Crutchfield that may help. Tuning Up Your Car's Audio System

Tip: polyester fill can "give" you some "volume" in a sealed enclosure if it's a smallish enclosure or tight behind the magnet. Too small an enclosure sounds like poop too.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video