Help! I'm puzzled. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Help! I'm puzzled.

Alright guy's, so I got 1 JL audio 12inch sub and a kenwood amp 600 watt I belive. It was working great sounded just like I wanted it to. Then all of a sudden it stoped! The sub does no longer bang... but heres the weird thing. I was driving down my road and it came back on. Just for a few seconds. Ever since then its been off . And the amp light is on. Iv checked ALL the connections and they are all good, even to the head unit. Its located in the trunk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_165600.png
Views:	80
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	129910

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_165628.png
Views:	78
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	129911
Potts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Alright guy's, so I got 1 JL audio 12inch sub and a kenwood amp 600 watt I belive. It was working great sounded just like I wanted it to. Then all of a sudden it stoped! The sub does no longer bang... but heres the weird thing. I was driving down my road and it came back on. Just for a few seconds. Ever since then its been off . And the amp light is on. Iv checked ALL the connections and they are all good, even to the head unit. Its located in the trunk.
Possibly got to hot, or MAYBE blew a fuse. But I don't know if the amp light would still be on with a blown fuse or if it over heated. Do you have 2 status on the amp?
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What is a 2 status. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
What is a 2 status. Lol
I meant 2 status lights lol

My old amp had 2 lights a red and a green, if the red was lit something was wrong
Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dont think so. Its always been red, since day one.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Dont think so. Its always been red, since day one.
Ok well hopefully you can get it figured out

I would still check the fuse on the amp to see if it blew
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
If you came in to my shop I would grab my DMM and verify your 12v from the bat is correct verify you have a good ground and also that your remote turn on is working properly. That checks that the amp is getting power properly.

Next I would measure the impedance of your sub to make sure it is reading 4 ohms or 2 ohms what ever it is wired to. That verifies that it's not blown.

If that all checks out I would plug a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor into your amp and play directly into it from my phone. If I get audio though the sub the issue is with your RCAs or your source. If I don't get audio through the sub your amp is bad.

Who did the install? Most shops have some form of warranty on labor and will troubleshoot free of charge. Or if you did it yourself most shops will troubleshoot for a hourly fee.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec_ View Post
If you came in to my shop I would grab my DMM and verify your 12v from the bat is correct verify you have a good ground and also that your remote turn on is working properly. That checks that the amp is getting power properly.

Next I would measure the impedance of your sub to make sure it is reading 4 ohms or 2 ohms what ever it is wired to. That verifies that it's not blown.

If that all checks out I would plug a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor into your amp and play directly into it from my phone. If I get audio though the sub the issue is with your RCAs or your source. If I don't get audio through the sub your amp is bad.

Who did the install? Most shops have some form of warranty on labor and will troubleshoot free of charge. Or if you did it yourself most shops will troubleshoot for a hourly fee.
I honestly forgot about a ground issue.

I would definitely check all of this stuff out
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Did you ground to bare metal? I use my dremmal to sand down to it when I'm grounding.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Alright ill definitely check into this, I did the install my self and I have checked the remote, it looks to be properly connected. And I did check my ground and that also looks good. Never thought of using the adaptor for your phone. Thanks for all the info! Its got to be something if the amp/sub was bad it wouldn't of started working again fir a split second, right?

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec_ View Post
Did you ground to bare metal? I use my dremmal to sand down to it when I'm grounding.
Yes its to bare metal,
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Use a DMM to test everything it could look good but be bad and if it's a intermittent fault it could be any thing. It could be a burn in the voice coil of the sub it could be a loose connection in your RCAs it could be a short in the amp it could be your head unit.

The trick is to isolate and test everything it could be. Power, components, signal. It has to be one of those.

Edit: and let us know what you find.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video