cb radio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
cb radio

any one have a cb in there car.. I do a lot of freeway and highway driving.. my buddy has one in his truck and truckers are always letting you know about construction or road blocks, cops ect... seems interesting to me
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
They used to be very popular. Now we all have cellphones.
I don't know about a "car mounted" CB though. It's going to be hard to find a place to mount it... YEESH... The antenna!!!!! Mounted on the trunk lid I suppose. Hmmm. Dukes of Hazzard comes to mind...
A handheld maybe?

You know this thread is going to be moved, don't you MM?
Yep, right into the CB radio and 70's television show forum...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Road Trip!

hahaha I donno my buddy has one in his dodge ram sport in his glove box. no huge antenna.. they use them on superspeeders that's what got it in my mind that it would be kinda sick lol If I just drove city I would think its lame but since im usually driving across country I thought might be interesting lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It is definitely interesting. I highly recommend it if you can do it without jumping through too many hoops.
I haven't looked into CB radios for a long time so I don't even know what's out there...

And you would be AWESOME on the CB, talking to the truckers MM...
I know it.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Had one in my 02 stang. "mounted" it between the pass seat and console, external speaker under driver seat. You can buy a converter that will run cb through fm antenna and actually boost fm reception.

Keep meaning to install it in the dd focus, definitely breaks the monotony in trips.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Road Trip!

think its worth it... would like to have one built into my dash as I have dual din slots and just one din used for my cd player.. other has an insert, figured put it in there...
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
This is what I would use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005N5WW

Throw the box under a seat or burry it in the dash.

I watched smoky and the bandit and felt compelled to put a CB in my Pontiac because you know Burt Reynolds. I loved having my CB and I got a through the glass antenna at a RV / truck shop so no big whip for me.

I say do it!
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
For the antenna, Wilson makes a good magnetic mount antenna. It has a real strong magnet for the over the limit speeds. I would stay away from cheep ones because they will not work very good .
kf4myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A friend has one in his Mustang and it works like a champ. He installed a unit like the one in the link above. The box went under the passenger seat and the mic he hangs near the radio controls. As for an antenna he uses a 4 foot Fire Stick.

How he mounted the antenna was pretty simple. Dead center of the car under the trunk he has a flat 2 inch wide by about 6 inches long piece of metal on one side attached to the car and the other sticks out just far enough to mount the antenna on. When he is running around town the antenna is in the trunk when he hits the highway he screws it into the mount. Works like a champ and can be taken off pretty easy. I was thinking about doing this to my car but make it so the holding plate can swivel around under the car when not in use.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
A friend has one in his Mustang and it works like a champ. He installed a unit like the one in the link above. The box went under the passenger seat and the mic he hangs near the radio controls. As for an antenna he uses a 4 foot Fire Stick.

How he mounted the antenna was pretty simple. Dead center of the car under the trunk he has a flat 2 inch wide by about 6 inches long piece of metal on one side attached to the car and the other sticks out just far enough to mount the antenna on. When he is running around town the antenna is in the trunk when he hits the highway he screws it into the mount. Works like a champ and can be taken off pretty easy. I was thinking about doing this to my car but make it so the holding plate can swivel around under the car when not in use.
Here is a picture of it on the white car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1385713_449204048533010_329387456_n.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	133317  

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video