Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 12 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #386
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thank you all who have participated in this thread. I installed a new Kenwood DDX9702S with the Mus-1 kit and the Maestro RR kit yesterday in 2011 Mustang w/ Sync + Shaker 1000 system yesterday. 5 button color issue was fixed because mine is a perfect match. Every thing is working like a charm for what I have connected so far. The only thing I did not connect is the sync wire. But from my understanding I only need it for the sync features and mic. However the cars factory mic will not work with the Apple play features in my HU. I did not install the mike the radio came with hoping to not need it. But after reading this whole thread it seems to me that I just need to install mic and turn off the sync features in the HU. If that's the case then I don't need to splice into the SWI2 wire? Please let me know your thoughts. I also have a buzzing sound unless I depress the brake cable. I am thinking I connected the 2nd RCA cables where I did not need to. I hope that's the prob. I soldered and shrink-wrapped all the connections, there's no way I have a bad one. How do remove Fords XM antenna adapter, I would like to reside it. Going to take back apart today to install the Kenwood mic and XM tuner.

I was a little concerned with the color of the dark kit. Fit is excellent by my kit was a lot darker than center console. My windows are tinted dark , the car is stored in a garage and only has 30k on it. So I don't think my center console should be faded. What do you think?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439737738.405546.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	189460Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439737784.391390.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	189461

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #387
Registered Member
Regular

I also think it would look great if someone made a small chrome trim ring that would fit around the HU. It would match the bezel around AC vent and would make look more factory. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439738083.846872.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	189462

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #388
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I went ahead an connected the SWI 2 wire and the new microphone. I was able to add the new mic in the driver side location of the factory mic location. Pretty easy to do and sound quality is good. Since finally connecting the Sync wire now my strewing wheel phone controls work. I still can not find a good ground location for the parking break wire. I tried grounding it to the HU chassis and I get a hum through the speakers with the lights on. Disconnect the ground and hone goes away. I then tried to connect to an existing factory ground behind the glove box and still get the humming sound. How did you guys connect the parking break wire so the DVD player will always work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #389
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Gotta say I really liked the Scoshe kit and still do but this looks way better. Seems like it is ALLOT of work though. Can you give me an idea what the cost of this has been for you? And are you installing all of it for that cost?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #390
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the HU at Best Buy for 699.00, plus 49 for new XM tuner, the Idata Mus-1 kit + Maestro Rr online for 215.00. Back up camera, Hdmi and lightning connection from Crutchfield for 215.00. So $1178.00, however I had $200 in Best Buy Rewards, so for me $978. It took me awhile but if I had to do it again I could probably do it 2hours. It's not really hard, I just had changed a radio out in 20years. Lol it was on my last Mustang I bought new in 1991, actually 24 years. Wow!!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #391
Registered Member
Regular

Still awesome did all self. Definitely been a while for me as well. Thanks man. This is probably down the line but think definitely part of build list.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #392

Region: California
Read this entire thread - great information. I have a few questions;
I want to install the DDX9902S with the MUS1, ADS-MRR, Antenna Adapter, CMOS-230 camera. I was thinking this route since my daughter (the driver!) has an IPhone 6 and it seamed to me to make sense to use the phone's features (nav, siri, text, etc.) instead of the navigation from the head unit.

Here are my questions;

1. Has anyone used this set up and how do they like it?
2. Will sync have any access to the phone features?
3. I assume I need to have an USB - HDMI - Lightening adapters to attach the phone to the kenwood.
4. Are there any lost features with the ADS kit using this stereo vs another Kenwood?
Thanks!
vnardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 AM   #393
Registered Member
Regular

That is basically the same set up I have. . With MUS-1 and the Maestro RR kit the Sync features still work. The USB in the arm rest still worked as well. Above the storage pocket there are 2 USB ports that can be used. I only used one that plugs into the Kenwood. As far as the hdmi and the Lightning connector it's only used to do screen mirroring which I have not found to be all that useful. There are so many features on the Kenwood it is overwhelming for my wife when she drives. There is also some conflict between sync system and voice commands on the Kenwood. I am sure it's a setting that I have over looked. You will really like it, your daughter I don't know.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #394

Help

Hey Im doing a install using this kit but i cant get my climate controls to work.
AVIC4100nex- headunit
MUS1 - kit w/ t-harness
RR module
Stock V6
please help!!!!!
freedaworld365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #395
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedaworld365 View Post
Hey Im doing a install using this kit but i cant get my climate controls to work.
AVIC4100nex- headunit
MUS1 - kit w/ t-harness
RR module
Stock V6
please help!!!!!
Hi, I don't know who sold you this combination of gear and said it would work, but the Pioneer radios do not have Climate Control screens in them (nor do they have tire pressure or performance gauges). If you look on the website (iDatalink - Maestro - iDatalink-compatible radios) you can see the note in red above the Pioneer radios. Our website will not even let you select that dash kit as an accessory when you flash for the 4100NEX radio so you must have selected the FO1 harness as your accessory.

Sorry to break the news to you. You need to use a dash kit with climate control electronics in it or you need to change to a compatible Kenwood or Alpine 2DIN radio.
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #396
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you can't use the Idata Mus-1 with Pioneer only Kenwood and a few Alpines I think. Yeah who ever sold it to you did not know what they were talking about .

Old 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #397
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin72 View Post
Thank you all who have participated in this thread. I installed a new Kenwood DDX9702S with the Mus-1 kit and the Maestro RR kit yesterday in 2011 Mustang w/ Sync + Shaker 1000 system yesterday. 5 button color issue was fixed because mine is a perfect match. Every thing is working like a charm for what I have connected so far. The only thing I did not connect is the sync wire. But from my understanding I only need it for the sync features and mic. However the cars factory mic will not work with the Apple play features in my HU. I did not install the mike the radio came with hoping to not need it. But after reading this whole thread it seems to me that I just need to install mic and turn off the sync features in the HU. If that's the case then I don't need to splice into the SWI2 wire? Please let me know your thoughts. I also have a buzzing sound unless I depress the brake cable. I am thinking I connected the 2nd RCA cables where I did not need to. I hope that's the prob. I soldered and shrink-wrapped all the connections, there's no way I have a bad one. How do remove Fords XM antenna adapter, I would like to reside it. Going to take back apart today to install the Kenwood mic and XM tuner.

I was a little concerned with the color of the dark kit. Fit is excellent by my kit was a lot darker than center console. My windows are tinted dark , the car is stored in a garage and only has 30k on it. So I don't think my center console should be faded. What do you think?
Attachment 189460Attachment 189461

Hi, this is not completely correct. Even though you are not using sync you can still use those buttons on your wheel to control the Kenwood radio. To do so, make the connection and make sure when you flash the MRR you uncheck Sync BLuetooth on the website. Then you will be able use the phone button to answer and hang up calls and voice to activate Siri and OK to do whatever you want.

Hope this is clear.
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #398
Registered Member
Regular

OK, so I am months away but starting to plan for this, planning is half the fun lol. See the list below and let me know your thoughts anyone who knows some about stereo stuff. Also, this seems like it can get a little heavy. If I am between New and Nouvice better to have installation done probably huh?

Qty Stereo Part Cost Desc. 1 Maistro Dash and Conversion Kit $365.00 Dash conversion & Control integration 1 Sub Box $165.00 Off Ebay for custom fit 2-10" 2 JL Audio 10W0v3-4 $150.00 10" Subs 1 JL Audio C2-570X Front

$179.00 5x7 rear deck 1 Kicker 41KSC54 $99.00 5 1/4 front 2 JL Audio JX400/4D $224.00 4 channel. Can bridge second for Subs 2 Amp Wire Kits $70.00 1 for each 1 Kenwood Excelon DNX892 $999.00 Stereo Datalink compatible
Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #399

Region: Texas
Climate Control

I am hoping someone can help... I have a '12 Roush and I purchased the Maestro RR, MUS1 and a Kenwood DDX9702S, but I have no control over the climate functions. My biggest question is what does the small 8 pin connector from the factory harness/faceplate (with the black clip) go to.

If anyone can provide some info, I would appreciate it, though I am feeling stupid for the moment.
DJ Nu Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #400
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Nu Boi View Post
I am hoping someone can help... I have a '12 Roush and I purchased the Maestro RR, MUS1 and a Kenwood DDX9702S, but I have no control over the climate functions. My biggest question is what does the small 8 pin connector from the factory harness/faceplate (with the black clip) go to.

If anyone can provide some info, I would appreciate it, though I am feeling stupid for the moment.
its not used if I remember correctly, did you flash the module properly?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:50 AM   #401

Hello guys. I signed up just to ask this question. Where do you guys get the Maestro RR and the MUS1 dash kit? I have a 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 and I might get the kenwood DNX892. Is the Maestro RR and the MUS1 dash kit all I need for this installation? Thanks guys!
LawrenceCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #402
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceCPA View Post
Hello guys. I signed up just to ask this question. Where do you guys get the Maestro RR and the MUS1 dash kit? I have a 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 and I might get the kenwood DNX892. Is the Maestro RR and the MUS1 dash kit all I need for this installation? Thanks guys!
you can get the Maestro RR module and MUS1 dash kit on Amazon, Ebay, Crutchfield, etc. I recommend checking out soundoftristate.com (see link below) they have great package deals including everything you will need, tell them you learned about them on the Mustang forums, theyll take care of you! they are a very reputable shop thats been around for years

heres one example of their packages:

http://www.soundoftristate.com/car-a...ontrol-adapter
Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
you can get the Maestro RR module and MUS1 dash kit on Amazon, Ebay, Crutchfield, etc. I recommend checking out soundoftristate.com (see link below) they have great package deals including everything you will need, tell them you learned about them on the Mustang forums, theyll take care of you! they are a very reputable shop thats been around for years

heres one example of their packages:

Kenwood DNN990HD Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi ADSKITMUS1 ADS Maestro Mustang Ford Kit and ADSMRR Steering Wheel Control Adapter Sound of Tri-State Car Audio, Video and Navigation: Sales and Services

Thanks Scott. I don't see it includes the iDatalink FO1. Should I get this too?
Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #404
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Scott. I don't see it includes the iDatalink FO1. Should I get this too?
no you do not need that harness, that is needed if you don't have the MUS1 kit, the MUS1 kit includes a harness

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #405
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How are the response times of the head unit? I used to have a raxiom navigation but man that thing had horrible software and every touch had a delay.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #406

Re-Flashed

Quote:
its not used if I remember correctly, did you flash the module properly?
Thanks for the assistance, I re-flashed the RR, and everything came up. The only issue I have now is the buttons above the head unit. I don't use them to control anything, but there is a constant "Flickering" when I drive the vehicle. I checked all of my grounds and lead connections, as they flicker to the tempo of the RPMs... very annoying. If anyone else has experience this issue, please let me know what you did to remedy. My next option is to wrap them in Carbon Fiber vynil to hide the illumnation.
DJ Nu Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #407

Hey guys, I had this installed today with Kenwood DNN992. There are a couple of issues I am having.

First is the steering wheel command buttons. The volume and the seek buttons work just fine. The problem I am having is with the phone and voice command. When I use the voice command to make a call, there are times with no issues. But there are times where It will call and they hear me just fine, but I can't hear the other person. There is no sound.

second are the buttons on the dash kit which i programmed to be climate, fan+, fan-, AC on, and rear defroster. Sometimes the buttons will not work. The first time I pressed the AC on and it just froze. I can't adjust the fan and I can't turn off the AC. Since i still don't know how to access the climate control from the stereo without pressing the "climate" button on the dash kit, I had to shut off my car.

Anyone having these issues? Is this the stereo, rr module, or dash kit issue? And from this youtube video, I don't even see the "my mustang" feature on my kenwood. Was this installed wrong? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #408
Registered Member
Regular

sometimes when it acts wonky, it helps to go into the Maestro settings in the Kenwood and reset the module, that will most likely fix your issue

Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #409

Quote:
sometimes when it acts wonky, it helps to go into the Maestro settings in the Kenwood and reset the module, that will most likely fix your issue

Thanks Scott. But wouldn't that erase the programmed buttons on the dash kit and the steering wheel?

BTW, I take it back, I found the "my mustang" app on the kenwood.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #410
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Scott. But wouldn't that erase the programmed buttons on the dash kit and the steering wheel?

BTW, I take it back, I found the "my mustang" app on the kenwood.
no sir, it will not undo what you flashed, you will however have to program the module again, meaning where you are given instructions on the screen to turn the key on and off

Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #411

Thanks Scott. Do you know what version is the latest for the maestro RR? I want to make sure it was updated. I have the version 2.03
Old 02-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #412

Hello everyone,
I've been reading this thread for the last couple of years. Most of you guys seem to be happy with your installs. I have a 2013 mustang GT premium equipped with Ford Sync and shaker audio system. I have some questions. Have the issues with the shaker system been addressed? In other words, has the company modified the T-harness to include RCA inputs so I can now hook it up directly to the factory amp? Also, I have an automatic but in my opinion, the shifter handle sits up pretty high. Does this block the view of the unit, for example, say a Kenwood DDX9702 with a 7 inch screen, when the vehicle is in park? It would be nice to see movies while parked and not have the shift handle blocking the view of the screen. With the newer Kenwood units, are you able to see the time and compass on the secondary factory screen? Some folks claimed they couldn't see this, but might be due to the older Kenwood models. Are you able to use the factory mic for voice commands or making phone calls? I'd rather not install the mic that comes with the unit.
Superstang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #413
Registered Member
Regular

I have some questions. Have the issues with the shaker system been addressed? In other words, has the company modified the T-harness to include RCA inputs so I can now hook it up directly to the factory amp? yes, there are RCA plugs in place for use with the stock amp and subs

Also, I have an automatic but in my opinion, the shifter handle sits up pretty high. Does this block the view of the unit, for example, say a Kenwood DDX9702 with a 7 inch screen, when the vehicle is in park?
I dont have an auto, so I cant say 100% but it shouldnt be an issue

With the newer Kenwood units, are you able to see the time and compass on the secondary factory screen? yes, on the models available from 2014-present, you get the time as well as the compass, the earlier models did not display time

Are you able to use the factory mic for voice commands or making phone calls?
if you enable Sync when you flash your module, yes, the factory mic can be used
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #414

Scott, thanks for that quick reply. A couple more things. Is the correct name for the module, Maestro ADS-MRR? I'm not sure if the model has changed as others here refer to it as Maestro RR. Also, where and how are the firmware updates performed on the Kenwood and Maestro? Is it an easy task to perform? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #415
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstang5oh View Post
Scott, thanks for that quick reply. A couple more things. Is the correct name for the module, Maestro ADS-MRR? I'm not sure if the model has changed as others here refer to it as Maestro RR. Also, where and how are the firmware updates performed on the Kenwood and Maestro? Is it an easy task to perform? Thanks.
yes, the technical correct name is ADS-MRR I cant say how the Maestro firmware is updated, because sadly Ive never performed a firmware update on mine, but the Kenwood firmware is updated normally through a usb thumb drive, no special steps added because of the Maestro setup. not sure if youre a huge Kenwood fan or not, but the 2016 Pioneer Nex units are now 100% compatible with ADS, they now have the climate controls and OBDII data built in
Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #416

Thanks again
2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #417

Region: Illinois
Just wanted to drop in and give a big thanks to all participating in this thread. I completed my ADS MUS01 / Maestro install with a Kenwood excellon 9902s receiver.

I had no previous experience with any type of Car audio but was able to do everything with the very clear instructions and the help of this thread and a couple calls to ADS support. The generated instructions for your receiver clearly say where to connect everything.

Just to give others some background...The fit/finish of the bezel and buttons is outstanding...Receiver , MUS01 , Maestro RR , Backup camera install ran me about $900. I am using Apple Car play for the Navigation and question why anyone would not nowadays (this receiver is hundreds less than a navigation receiver).

I ended up retaining the factory sync without cutting the wire on the dash. The only downside to that was adding a new microphone.

Don't forget you DO NOT NEED the FOR01 harness. It is included in the dash kit.

My very minor gripes are...
The receiver takes a couple seconds to start up.

The fugly purple buttons for the climate control (Kenwood issue not ADS)
Too many choices for programming the buttons.

Sometimes when bouncing around between screens I have to go to Receiver Home to reset things. (not sure if Kenwood or ADS).

The Maestro has to be unplugged if you want to reflash / reprogram your buttons. Wish they could figure out a way to use the USB on the bezel - I do admit I can have radio out in less than 10 minutes but each time you do it there is a change of something going wrong with the fasteners.

I understand that very few aftermarket receivers have effective / day night modes for dimming / reversing the colors on the screen - my unit does auto-dim but not enough.
mrbtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #418
Registered Member
Regular

Following again, accidentally deleted
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
Just wanted to drop in and give a big thanks to all participating in this thread. I completed my ADS MUS01 / Maestro install with a Kenwood excellon 9902s receiver.

I had no previous experience with any type of Car audio but was able to do everything with the very clear instructions and the help of this thread and a couple calls to ADS support. The generated instructions for your receiver clearly say where to connect everything.

Just to give others some background...The fit/finish of the bezel and buttons is outstanding...Receiver , MUS01 , Maestro RR , Backup camera install ran me about $900. I am using Apple Car play for the Navigation and question why anyone would not nowadays (this receiver is hundreds less than a navigation receiver).

I ended up retaining the factory sync without cutting the wire on the dash. The only downside to that was adding a new microphone.

Don't forget you DO NOT NEED the FOR01 harness. It is included in the dash kit.

My very minor gripes are...
The receiver takes a couple seconds to start up.

The fugly purple buttons for the climate control (Kenwood issue not ADS)
Too many choices for programming the buttons.

Sometimes when bouncing around between screens I have to go to Receiver Home to reset things. (not sure if Kenwood or ADS).

The Maestro has to be unplugged if you want to reflash / reprogram your buttons. Wish they could figure out a way to use the USB on the bezel - I do admit I can have radio out in less than 10 minutes but each time you do it there is a change of something going wrong with the fasteners.

I understand that very few aftermarket receivers have effective / day night modes for dimming / reversing the colors on the screen - my unit does auto-dim but not enough.
I believe someone else here retained the factory mic without installing the Kenwood mic. Is there a reason you had to install the new mic?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #420

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstang5oh View Post
I believe someone else here retained the factory mic without installing the Kenwood mic. Is there a reason you had to install the new mic?
The way I understood it....Cut the wire under the dash attach the pink wire from harness and you get the factory mic. By adding the additional mic I left the wire under the dash intact. I am nearly certain the mic I added will only be use for 'Hey Siri' and apple car play. I am using the Sync for all other phone / bluetooth features.

Honestly not quite sure where the final place will be for the mic. For now it is just under the dashboard.

Please if someone thinks I am off on that correct me. I was pretty thorough with ADS and that's what they led me to believe.
mrbtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video