Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #421

Region: South Dakota
Hey guys I have a different question regarding a Kenwood DNX892 with the MUS1 and idatalink connection, which is a fantastic unit. The problem I'm having is when I go into my mustang and want to use the gauges they don't work. The installer told me that because I have and aftermarket tune for the ECU the gauges will not work. I can't imagine this is true the gauges on my dash still work after reflashing my ECU. Have any of you had this problem? If so were you able to rectify it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
louie3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #422

Region: Illinois
It just reads the ODBII port. Is it plugged in or connected ?
mrbtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #423
Registered Member
Regular

the tune has absolutely nothing to do it, it needs to be connected to the OBDII port to provide the gauges, the original MUS1 kit (like mine) you had to splice into two wires on the OBDII port, the new MUS1 kits have a connector that plugs into the OBDII port

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #424

Region: South Dakota
Scott does your mustang have and aftermarket tune?

louie3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #425
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie3.7 View Post
Scott does your mustang have and aftermarket tune?

yes, and the gauges worked fine for me, I no longer have the OBDII gauges as I moved away from the Kenwood and went with a Pioneer 8100nex, but when I did they worked 100%
Old 06-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #426

Region: Michigan
Shaker 1000 help

Know this is an old thread but about the only good thread I seen anywhere....

2010 Mustang W/Sync & Shaker 1000 Idatalink/Maestro RR W/MUS1 Dash kit & Kenwood DDX773BH.

I tried to hook this all up and get it working this last weekend but couldn't get everything to work right...

I got the front door amps and subs working but nothing from the rear amp/subs. I hooked up the single white RCA labeled as SUB to the sub output the the kenwood DDX773BH and fronts work but nothing in back. I tried hooking up the other RCA's that where labeled AUX(I think)but still nothing to the rears.

Read at least one person on here that has a same year range Shaker 1000 and had it working with factory amps/setup trying to figure out what I am missing to get mine to work.

Till I get it figured out I have stayed with the stock radio....

Will eventually swap out the rear subs and amp but will not be immediately so just trying to figure out how to get this setup working correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Carfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #427
Registered Member
Regular

I am having what seems to be a nightmare with the install. I wired the for01 harness to the stereo harness. And hookeup everything up to the maestro rr and my stereo stays on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469111039112.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	203570  
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #428
Registered Member
Regular

have you calles ADS customer service? they are great to deal with. in the mean time, did you program the module after first powering on? try a master reset of Maestro through the headunit

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #429
Registered Member
Regular

Yes i got it sorted out. I flashed it wrong. Flashed it as remote wiring and its all set and running

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #430

Region: Oklahoma
hey guys, love this thread. Sorry to bring it back from the dead, but installed mine last night and have a few questions.

1.) I don't have SYNC, but I do have the SYNC steering wheel and the car reflashed for a 2013 Premium. Currently everything is active other than the 3 Sync buttons on the wheel (hang up, speak, and OK). Where do I need to tap the pink wire on the clockspring to be able to gain this functionality?

2.) I have an auto, and I cannot eject a disc while the car is in park or else the screen hits the shifter and throws an error.

3.) Is it possible to set an idle timer to return to the home screen if the radio hasn't been touch in, say, 5 seconds? When I switch to climate and make my selections, I wish it would go back to the previous screen after making the changes without me pressing "Home" on the screen.

Thanks guys!
FiveLeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #431
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Thanks, guys. I'm not on the fence, I know I want it. I just don't know WHAT I need to buy for my particular setup. Now you guys got me really worried about my Sync. All I can say is that when I hit the "Phone" button on the dash, the phone button on the steering wheel, or the voice button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. This did not used to be the case when my car was less than a year old. Then I didn't use Sync for like 2 years because I hated the microphone. Now it doesn't do anything. Might it be because I got a new phone in between, so when I enter my car there is no bluetooth device hooked up?

The other thing I'm really overwhelmed with is when you go to the iDataLink website to make your order, there are like a dozen radio choices. I don't know what to go with.

Sorry... I know I sound like an uneducated whiner... I'm just very new to this audio/entertainment stuff.
This may seem like a dumb question but did you pair your new phone to your SYNC system?? If not then there you go.

Get the manual out and read up on it. Pairing is pretty simple and once you do it the phone hooks up instantly...well mine does anyway.
5.0L Coyote
MT82 Trans, 3.73LS rear
Brembo Brakes
Rudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #432
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had the Raxiom GPS unit, and returned it. That unit was complete crap! I am about to pull the trigger on the Kenwood/MUS-1 unit and just wanted to check in with everyone that has installed this system. Do you still like it?
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #433
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
I had the Raxiom GPS unit, and returned it. That unit was complete crap! I am about to pull the trigger on the Kenwood/MUS-1 unit and just wanted to check in with everyone that has installed this system. Do you still like it?

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything good about Raxiom , or anything bad about pioneer or kenwood...
I was going to get the new Raxiom radio, until i read the reviews lol
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #434

Hi,

This is my first post. Was reading this thread and thought I'd share some info and observations.

I've got a 2013 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible with Sync (small screen like in all other posted people's pics, not the big touch one with NAV).

I just had the Masetro RR, MUS1, a backup CAM, and Kenwood DMX7704S installed (by an installer). It looks great. The Kenwood is a new radio that just came out and doesn't have CD/DVD or NAV. It supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

My primary reason for doing this install was to get NAV and backup cam display. I got this radio because of Android Auto (which would allow Google Maps to be my Nav), but also price and availability at store I was at. Plus, I never use cd's or dvd's in car since everything I listen to is on a USB stick. Also recently got into Spotify, and this was supported as well.

I've only had it in the car for a few days and driven with it once. I've spent a few hours fiddling with it in the driveway. Here are my observations....

1) Looks great

2) Backup cam integration is great

3) This HU allows for a new Kenwood Dash cam to be integrated. I didn't go for this, but it would probably be pretty cool.

4) I cannot get Android Auto to work on the HU... Could be my phone. There are lots of general complaints posted online from people with similar issues (different cars and HU). Need to further investigate. This has to be the biggest disappointment for me, as it was the primary reason I got this radio.

5) Temperature display on the original Mustang screen is in Fahrenheit, and I want Celsius... Cannot figure out how to change it. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it were metric since I'm in Canada.

6) I had wanted my original USB port located in the center arm rest to still work with the radio. Right now, I cannot figure out how to get it to see it. If I plug it into one of the MUS1 dash kit's ports, it also doesn't seem to like it. But the ports do work for charging. I assume that the way the songs are organized on the stick is OK since it worked no probs with original Sync system, but that could be an area to look into.

7) I don't understand what original Sync functionality is and is not supported by the HU and/or the Maestro RR/MUS1 integration. For example, I would have expected that my original mic in the car could be used. I find it confusing as to why the installer put the HU's mic in my car. When I try to connect my phone thru blutooth, I see both Sync and DMX7704S as choices. Not sure which I should choose. Been going with DMX7704S. Steering wheel controls work. See 6 above for USB. I guess as a consumer, this is all a very grey area and not very clear. My installer was also not clear on some of it and spent some time on the phone with various support people.

8) A big unexpected issue (and really it's stupid on my part) is how impossible it is to see anything on the screen with the top down and the sun shining on it. The HU doesn't allow you to change the angle. It has some sort of simulated tilt built in that you can set, but it made no difference. Also, the default colors for the indicators on the HU are blue, and I cannot find out how to change them. I has thinking to make them a more contrasting color and it might help, but this HU doesn't seem to allow me to change them. I'm talking about the screen 'on' or highlight color, such as if you turn on something in settings screen, or increase the fan speed on the climate page.

9) The Maestro RR allows you to program what all the buttons do on the steering wheel and the MUS1. Since I don't drive my car in the winter (or when it's cold) I don't ever need the rear defrost. The MUS1 kit has Rear Defrost built in by default and is a waste of a button for me. I reprogrammed it to do front defrost, but it would be nice if you could replace the button.

Overall... I'm mixed on how I feel since so many things are not as expected and I'm still trying to sort it all out.

Aracknid
Aracknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #435
Registered Member
Regular

try running your usb phone cable directly to the headunit, dont use any extensions or the usb ports on the dash panel, see if that makes it work, Android is very finicky with cables and connections
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #436

I tried a different cable, and it worked! I plugged it into the ports that connect to the HU, as I don't know how to take it out (I didn't install it). But the good news is that I got Android Auto to work.

I also figured out how to get my USB stick to work with the system, while plugged into the arm rest port. I noticed the original screen (now the secondary screen) said USB Line In, and of course this is not that. I wasn't sure how to switch it using the radio (I don't think you can), but I realized I could use the Sync buttons on the steering wheel. The one with the Musical Note on it was set up to switch between sources. So when I cycled through it, eventually it came to the Sync USB.

I am however noticing issues with Blutooth detection. It was working, but now it is not. I think there is a problem with the fact that my other Car in the driveway is also a Ford with Sync and my phone is detecting this and causing problems, and also with how Android Auto is configured to work with connected blutooth devices... Anyway, I couldn't get it to connect this morning after I got to work and disconnected Android Auto.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure it all out soon enough. At least I'm making progress.

BTW: Even with my top up today, I still couldn't see the Google Maps screen very well. Google maps is gray background with subtle lines for roads and yellow for high ways. Really looks all washed out. I'll have to see if I can do more adjustments.

Still think I'm stuck with Fahrenheit which is awful for me...
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #437

Figured out how to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius. It has nothing to do with radio settings. It's in the Vehicle Info part of the My Ford setup... you know the little screen in between you RPM and Speed that you control from the steering wheel mounted buttons. Just change the units to Metric from "American". If it already is Metric, then set it to American, and then set it back.

I've also figured out that the blutooth issues are related to Android Auto. Looks like they compete with each other. If you run Android Auto, then it seems you cannot do anything thru the radio that is blutooth or phone related because that is being handle by AA.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

that is because AA uses bluetooth and the cable connection to transmit data
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #439

Region: New Jersey
I also have the MUS1 and a Kenwood DNX891HD for the past 2 years. The MUS1 is great, the Kenwood is less than great. Its massively flaky, and as soon as ADS confirms, I am going to replace it with a Pioneer AVH4200NEX, which I run in my pickup truck, and its an infinitely more consistent unit. The Kenwood is goofy in many different ways, although its basically competent.

I use Android Auto in the pickup, and its not horrible (close though!). I only really use it for maps now, as all other uses are so highly restricted and limited that it is basically unusable every day.

Google just released another version of AA that doesn't require the USB to even be connected as well.
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #440
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanohead View Post
Google just released another version of AA that doesn't require the USB to even be connected as well.
you sure about that?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 AM   #441

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
you sure about that?
Yeah, they announced it in November. It definitely works, I had to figure out how to shut it off actually, as it would cripple my whole system as soon as BT connects. I'm not sure if there are differences to the wired and wireless implementations, but it definitely runs wirelessly.

Sorry about the dopey link... There are hundreds that discuss the issue

Android Auto v2.0 is rolling out with on-phone mode [APK Download]
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #442
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracknid View Post
Hi,

This is my first post. Was reading this thread and thought I'd share some info and observations.

I've got a 2013 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible with Sync (small screen like in all other posted people's pics, not the big touch one with NAV).

I just had the Masetro RR, MUS1, a backup CAM, and Kenwood DMX7704S installed (by an installer). It looks great. The Kenwood is a new radio that just came out and doesn't have CD/DVD or NAV. It supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

My primary reason for doing this install was to get NAV and backup cam display. I got this radio because of Android Auto (which would allow Google Maps to be my Nav), but also price and availability at store I was at. Plus, I never use cd's or dvd's in car since everything I listen to is on a USB stick. Also recently got into Spotify, and this was supported as well.

I've only had it in the car for a few days and driven with it once. I've spent a few hours fiddling with it in the driveway. Here are my observations....

1) Looks great

2) Backup cam integration is great

3) This HU allows for a new Kenwood Dash cam to be integrated. I didn't go for this, but it would probably be pretty cool.

4) I cannot get Android Auto to work on the HU... Could be my phone. There are lots of general complaints posted online from people with similar issues (different cars and HU). Need to further investigate. This has to be the biggest disappointment for me, as it was the primary reason I got this radio.

Like other poster said, try direct connection to HU USB port. It is very picky about cables/extensions of any kind.

5) Temperature display on the original Mustang screen is in Fahrenheit, and I want Celsius... Cannot figure out how to change it. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it were metric since I'm in Canada.

This is controlled by your car. There is a setting in cluster menu to change it. I think should be covered in your car Owner Guide. When you change the setting, the radio units will follow it. Buttons to access on left side below the light switch. Installing Maestro overrides your setting to Imperial, but you can change it back.

6) I had wanted my original USB port located in the center arm rest to still work with the radio. Right now, I cannot figure out how to get it to see it. If I plug it into one of the MUS1 dash kit's ports, it also doesn't seem to like it. But the ports do work for charging. I assume that the way the songs are organized on the stick is OK since it worked no probs with original Sync system, but that could be an area to look into.

That USB is for Sync. If you flashed the MRR to retain sync, this port will still work. You access it with a source in the radio called Sync USB.

7) I don't understand what original Sync functionality is and is not supported by the HU and/or the Maestro RR/MUS1 integration. For example, I would have expected that my original mic in the car could be used. I find it confusing as to why the installer put the HU's mic in my car. When I try to connect my phone thru blutooth, I see both Sync and DMX7704S as choices. Not sure which I should choose. Been going with DMX7704S. Steering wheel controls work. See 6 above for USB. I guess as a consumer, this is all a very grey area and not very clear. My installer was also not clear on some of it and spent some time on the phone with various support people.

You have to choose one BT for handsfree and it's a setting in Menu for Maestro. Do you have our owner's guide? You can use both BT for streaming. However, if you use Car Play/Android Auto, you have to use the Kenwood mic for commands and for phone calls.

8) A big unexpected issue (and really it's stupid on my part) is how impossible it is to see anything on the screen with the top down and the sun shining on it. The HU doesn't allow you to change the angle. It has some sort of simulated tilt built in that you can set, but it made no difference. Also, the default colors for the indicators on the HU are blue, and I cannot find out how to change them. I has thinking to make them a more contrasting color and it might help, but this HU doesn't seem to allow me to change them. I'm talking about the screen 'on' or highlight color, such as if you turn on something in settings screen, or increase the fan speed on the climate page.

9) The Maestro RR allows you to program what all the buttons do on the steering wheel and the MUS1. Since I don't drive my car in the winter (or when it's cold) I don't ever need the rear defrost. The MUS1 kit has Rear Defrost built in by default and is a waste of a button for me. I reprogrammed it to do front defrost, but it would be nice if you could replace the button.

We don't let you change either end button because they are shaped differently. Of course you can program them as you like, but we could not include multiple shaped buttons. The middle three are physically identical so we give you tops.

Overall... I'm mixed on how I feel since so many things are not as expected and I'm still trying to sort it all out.

Aracknid
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video