Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My MUS1/Maestro RR/Kenwood DNN770HD install

Here is a link to my install album.

I installed a Kenwood DNN770HD head unit with the Maestro RR and MUS1 Dashkit. Thanks to the instructions it was quite straight forward and I encountered no real issues.

Programming the Maestro RR over USB is easy but you do need a windows computer. I used a VM on my Mac and it worked fine.

I followed the wiring instructions and soldered all connections. Hardest part was deciding on locations for the GPS bug and microphone. I didn't want them to stand out after going through the expense and trouble of a sleek system. I put the GPS bug up near the A pillar on the driver side. I put the mic on the steering column on the right. Kinda near the key. I'm happy with both if you don't go looking for them you won't notice.

It was not immediately obvious to me where on the Kenwood to plug in the Maestro audio cable. Is this audio in or out? In the end I plugged it into the AV-OUT audio jack. If this is wrong I don't see any loss of function yet.

The pandora integration is amazing. The head unit shows the picture, stations, everything. The LCD display shows the song and time.

What a great setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overview.JPG
Views:	2876
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	136398  
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by timle8n1 View Post
Here is a link to my install album. I installed a Kenwood DNN770HD head unit with the Maestro RR and MUS1 Dashkit. Thanks to the instructions it was quite straight forward and I encountered no real issues. Programming the Maestro RR over USB is easy but you do need a windows computer. I used a VM on my Mac and it worked fine. I followed the wiring instructions and soldered all connections. Hardest part was deciding on locations for the GPS bug and microphone. I didn't want them to stand out after going through the expense and trouble of a sleek system. I put the GPS bug up near the A pillar on the driver side. I put the mic on the steering column on the right. Kinda near the key. I'm happy with both if you don't go looking for them you won't notice. It was not immediately obvious to me where on the Kenwood to plug in the Maestro audio cable. Is this audio in or out? In the end I plugged it into the AV-OUT audio jack. If this is wrong I don't see any loss of function yet. The pandora integration is amazing. The head unit shows the picture, stations, everything. The LCD display shows the song and time. What a great setup!
Is the mic you installed required to operate the Kenwood HU or because you don't have Sync?
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't have sync. So no phone pairing or anything. I assume the Kenwood needs it's mic instead for Siri and phone calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm I'll bet that is what the audio wire from the Maestro RR is - the microphone. The instructions weren't very clear on that. I wonder even without sync if the microphone is in the car - and I can delete my mic I added. Or just delete that cable.

FYI I ordered all this through a company. I have no financial stake in this. But they gave me great service and a great discount.

The have some other deals to - I went with this one

DNN770HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1999 / Now $1599.99 / $500 coupon code SOTS500 – makes the price for all three pieces 1099.99

Kenwood eXcelon DNN770HD In-Dash 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ GPS Navigation, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Ready with the iDatalink ADS-KIT-MUS01 Factory Integration Fit Kit with iDatalink ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter

Joy is very responsive to emails
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Hmm I'll bet that is what the audio wire from the Maestro RR is - the microphone. The instructions weren't very clear on that. I wonder even without sync if the microphone is in the car - and I can delete my mic I added. Or just delete that cable.

FYI I ordered all this through a company. I have no financial stake in this. But they gave me great service and a great discount.

The have some other deals to - I went with this one

DNN770HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1999 / Now $1599.99 / $500 coupon code SOTS500 – makes the price for all three pieces 1099.99

Kenwood eXcelon DNN770HD In-Dash 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ GPS Navigation, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Ready with the iDatalink ADS-KIT-MUS01 Factory Integration Fit Kit with iDatalink ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter

Joy is very responsive to emails

Hi Guys,

Our 3.5mm input is for stereo audio input from our box to the radio. The microphone for Sync does not need to run through our module at all. So, if you have Sync, the factory mic will only work with Sync (not with the Kenwood radio) and need to install the Kenwood mic if you have one of the Kenwood radios with voice recognition and want to use both. If you don't have Sync, you will need to install the mic that came with the radio for sure.

Hope this is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn__Morgan View Post
Hey guys. Got my new radio today. Ran my harness and plugged it in to see this...huge props to UPS for their excellent shipping! 2 more weeks now...cool.

What a freaking DOWNER!!!
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for posting! What audio comes from the Maestro RR to the radio? I don't have that part hooked up correctly but I'm not sure what I'm missing?

The only other option I have on the Kenwood is a secondary aux-in. I use the other aux-in for my iPhone and it works great!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is a link to my install album.

It was not immediately obvious to me where on the Kenwood to plug in the Maestro audio cable. Is this audio in or out? In the end I plugged it into the AV-OUT audio jack. If this is wrong I don't see any loss of function yet.

Hi,

First, thanks on behalf of ADS and Kenwood for the kind words and the great post. I know I kind of answered this in this thread, but wanted to be more clear as it is obvious you all actually read the manuals and get the job done.

The 3.5mm audio jack on the Maestro module is an audio output and should only be connected to the Maestro audio input on the Kenwood radio. This jack on the radio is located next to where the black 4-pin data cable plugs in.

The purpose for this is so that when sync/sat radio or any other factory audio source is generating audio signal, we can pass it into the radio and have it be passed back to the speakers. In addition, the Sync voice prompts are also passed into the radio this way.

If you don't have Sync, you do not need to use this port or the cable we gave you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for posting! What audio comes from the Maestro RR to the radio? I don't have that part hooked up correctly but I'm not sure what I'm missing?

The only other option I have on the Kenwood is a secondary aux-in. I use the other aux-in for my iPhone and it works great!

See above for your answer. You do have an 3.5mm aux jack from the factory right? If yes, one cool thing you can do since you don't have sync, is connect the RCAs in the Mustang T-Harness that are labeled AUX IN, to an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor and plug it into the other aux input of your Kenwood. Then whenever you plug into the OEM jack, you can hear it by changing your radio to the correct AVIN source.

Best,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Ah so I don't need this cable at all! Great thanks. I've got no sync or factory nav or any other factory audio source.

I do have the 3.5mm aux jack connected and it works great. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
For what it's worth for future users that might read this thread prior to install. I wanted to share my location for the GPS puck. Just behind the glove box there is some metal framework that sits just below the top of the dash. I simply attached the GPS puck right to the frame rail using the double sided tape that is provided and also zip tied it just for good measure. There is no interference as the only thing above it is the top of the dash (plastic/vinyl). I get full signal and no issues with navigation...and best of all you don't see the puck at all! Not to mention routing the wire takes 2 minutes because it's mostly open behind the HU and glove box.

Hope that helps someone.
2010 Black GT. Appearance mods only so far. SS center fog grille, DG Customs side and window scoops, SLP Loudmouth axle backs, Roush center console button, Roush white shift knob and boot, ADS/Maestro RR dash kit w/ Kenwood NAV setup to retain SYNC.

NOTE: OEM grille, mufflers, and 401A shift knob w/boot are for sale if interested. PM me an offer.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Roughly how much does this cost?
Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Double J - Nice I might move mine someday.

Brandonb - I posted a link to a package that is everything you need previously. Minus an antenna adapter. And with my car and the Kenwood I bought I needed an RCA L/R to 3.5 stereo mini plug for aux-in. That should give you some idea. I did the install myself - YMMV.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Double J - Nice I might move mine someday.

Brandonb - I posted a link to a package that is everything you need previously. Minus an antenna adapter. And with my car and the Kenwood I bought I needed an RCA L/R to 3.5 stereo mini plug for aux-in. That should give you some idea. I did the install myself - YMMV.
Why do you need an aux in? What if my car already has an aux in?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

My car has an aux in - however the wiring harness with the MUS1/MRR converts this to RCA - the radio I have has stereo mini plug instead of RCA for aux-in. Hence the adapter.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Delivery is estimated at a week from today. So next wednesday. I have a few other pictures I took when I started. Just told hold everyone over. .
Wait so what do you need to instal this and make everything else work? i have a v6 2014 base
servs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by servs View Post
Wait so what do you need to instal this and make everything else work? i have a v6 2014 base
All ya need is a compatible Kenwood radio. Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR module and an hour or so. Not a difficult install when everything actually works out in your favor...lol
Capn__Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All ya need is a compatible Kenwood radio. Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR module and an hour or so. Not a difficult install when everything actually works out in your favor...lol
n how much is everything in total?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by servs View Post
n how much is everything in total?
Ummmmmm. If you get it from Crutchfield you can get the RR Module half off with a compatible Radio and possibly the MUS1 Dash if they have it in stock. The radio itself could cost anywhere from 600-1200 I believe. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ummmmmm. If you get it from Crutchfield you can get the RR Module half off with a compatible Radio and possibly the MUS1 Dash if they have it in stock. The radio itself could cost anywhere from 600-1200 I believe. Don't quote me on that though.
oh ok thanks man
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #55

Region: California
I installed an Mus1, maestro rr, and Kenwood DNX570 several weeks ago and was wondering if anyone here was having similar issues or if there is a future fix. As a side-note; the kit looks amazing in the car, but the stereo/nav unit leave much to be desired.

1) If I hit the steering wheel button to prompt Sync for voice commands it takes 4 or 5 seconds for Sync to ask me what I want to do. Seems like a Maestro issue.

2) When listening to the radio, the maestro sends the song title info to the factory ford display but then doesn't change the info. as the songs change on the radio.

3) If there is anyway to modify the Kenwood to make it not so slow I would be much happier. Is it just the 570 or are all of the Nav models like this?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

One more thing... Has anyone added Sirius to their Kenwood receiver and successfully tapped into the factory Sirius antenna? Any tips on models to buy or avoid would be appreciated.
allan6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan6666 View Post
I installed an Mus1, maestro rr, and Kenwood DNX570 several weeks ago and was wondering if anyone here was having similar issues or if there is a future fix. As a side-note; the kit looks amazing in the car, but the stereo/nav unit leave much to be desired.

1) If I hit the steering wheel button to prompt Sync for voice commands it takes 4 or 5 seconds for Sync to ask me what I want to do. Seems like a Maestro issue.

2) When listening to the radio, the maestro sends the song title info to the factory ford display but then doesn't change the info. as the songs change on the radio.

3) If there is anyway to modify the Kenwood to make it not so slow I would be much happier. Is it just the 570 or are all of the Nav models like this?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

One more thing... Has anyone added Sirius to their Kenwood receiver and successfully tapped into the factory Sirius antenna? Any tips on models to buy or avoid would be appreciated.

Hi,

PM me with how to call you so I can explain how the voice button works.

The song title changes when radio decodes the RDS and sends it to us. This is a function of the tuner and with standard FM and RDS it takes some time. HD radio is a bit faster but still slow. Sat tuner is almost instant.

BTW, we can only display what the radio passes to us. That's why sometimes it is not the full meta data.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Welp...I jumped on the bandwagon.

Out with the old (Metra) and in with the new.

If there's one complaint I have at all it's that the blue lighting on the MUS1 buttons don't match the interior blue of the Mustang. It's a noticably different shade of blue. It's not a deal breaker but I'm just anal when it comes to that kind of stuff. The way this kit looks over the other options out there is SO much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	136610   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	2502
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	136611  

2010 Black GT. Appearance mods only so far. SS center fog grille, DG Customs side and window scoops, SLP Loudmouth axle backs, Roush center console button, Roush white shift knob and boot, ADS/Maestro RR dash kit w/ Kenwood NAV setup to retain SYNC.

NOTE: OEM grille, mufflers, and 401A shift knob w/boot are for sale if interested. PM me an offer.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Welp...I jumped on the bandwagon. Out with the old (Metra) and in with the new. If there's one complaint I have at all it's that the blue lighting on the MUS1 buttons don't match the interior blue of the Mustang. It's a noticably different shade of blue. It's not a deal breaker but I'm just anal when it comes to that kind of stuff. The way this kit looks over the other options out there is SO much better.
I gotta say the MUS1 looks so much better than the Metra and Scosche kits.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed the lights were I little different tonight but compared to your old unit! Man the MUS1 looks awesome!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

So how is the navigation guys?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

It's a Garmin in the Kenwood. Haven't used mine much but it seems just like the factory nav in my wife's car. Which has always worked fine. Plus with the DNN series you can set a route on the computer and send it to the radio.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

So the nav can work by itself it doesnt have to be hooked up to your phone or anything?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
So the nav can work by itself it doesnt have to be hooked up to your phone or anything?
That's correct...it's a Garmin GPS that's in the Kenwood HU. Here's a pic of my Nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2265583956.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	136653  
Old 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Yup its the full monty GPS - GPS receiver, antenna, and maps loaded in the unit.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Nice man that looks clean! Can't wait to do it to mine....is your HU the one you can browse the internet with?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
Nice man that looks clean! Can't wait to do it to mine....is your HU the one you can browse the internet with?
Mine is the DNX890...no internet.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14rs3roush View Post

Mine is the DNN890...no internet.
I believe u mean DNX890?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

allan6666:

I tried to call you twice, but always get your voice mail. Maybe you auto reject call from Canadians. Anyway wanted to post this and after you read it, please let me know if your delay is explained or if it is different than this.

The voice command for Phone should have no delay in any source. To access this command you need to Press and HOLD the voice button. The response should be "PHONE, please say a command".

The Sync Media voice prompt will also happen without delay when you press and RELEASE the voice button, IF YOU are in the SYNC USB or SYNC BT Streaming source already. This is possible because Sync is operating and ready to take your commands.

However, because we tell the vehicle that a factory navigation radio is installed when you make the radio change out, the operation of the media voice button is different if you are in another source, FM tuner for example. In this case, when you press and release the voice button, we need to switch the radio to the Sync Media source you used last, BEFORE we can issue the command to have Sync speak. Otherwise, if you say something like, "Play artist Metallica" the command will get lost if issued while in FM tuner.

The reason we have to do this is related to the fact that the factory navigation also has voice recognition and when we tell Sync it is present it changes how Sync works compared to the way it worked with your original radio.

Hope this helps,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #69

12v, I did receive your first call but was unavailable. I am not sure what happened with your second call. Anyhow, thanks for the info and I will try the unit with this in mind.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #70

Brandonb2012, the Navigation is sluggish and pales in comparison to Waze on my iphone. At the same time, I prefer the Nav screen in front of me, so the unit has my phone beat in this department. It would seem that if I disengage the parking brake sensor on the nav-unit I would be able to see Waze on the screen using my iphone 4. Truthfully, I'm not that concerned with it, but I do hope Kenwood upgrades the processors in future units. I would love this unit if it weren't so sluggish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video