Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
I was going to comment and ask what harness you were using. Depending on what options your old Mustang had and your new Mustang it may be a different one. The FOR01 harness is what I used for mine (2010 GT w/ Shaker500)

Awesome. Just wanted to verify before I bought it.
Capn__Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You cut it and only connect to the side going away from the Sync module. The other side should be taped off and not used.

This is described in the install guide..
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V Guy View Post
You cut it and only connect to the side going away from the Sync module. The other side should be taped off and not used.

This is described in the install guide..

Was that directed towards me? Because I have the sync working. It selects my input and all of that from the steering wheel, I just don't have audio.
Capn__Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

There was a question about connecting the Sync wire (not yours). I dropped the quote for some reason.

I did not follow what is happening in your case. Maybe PM how to get a hold of you.

Cheers.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I'm fixing to attempt this mod. I've got the Kenwood DNX890HD, the fascia plate, antenna adapter, poly tools for removing the face plate, the antenna adapter, rear view backup camera and kenwood external microphone.

Anything I'm missing to try this? Got at least a week before everything gets here.

Edit: there's no Sync on my car, so this should be relatively easy, I'm thinking
http://www.mustangwarrior.boards.net/
WarriorStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorStang View Post
I'm fixing to attempt this mod. I've got the Kenwood DNX890HD, the fascia plate, antenna adapter, poly tools for removing the face plate, the antenna adapter, rear view backup camera and kenwood external microphone.

Anything I'm missing to try this? Got at least a week before everything gets here.

Edit: there's no Sync on my car, so this should be relatively easy, I'm thinking
Sounds like you're missing the Maestro RR module. Even though you don't have SYNC you will still need this module in order to have the Climate controls and OBD functionality on the Kenwood deck. Not sure what you meant by poly tools? The only tool you need to remove the OEM dash kit is a 7mm socket to remove 2 screws at the bottom once you have the center console up and out of the way.

Other than the Maestro RR module, sounds like you're all set.
2010 Black GT. Appearance mods only so far. SS center fog grille, DG Customs side and window scoops, SLP Loudmouth axle backs, Roush center console button, Roush white shift knob and boot, ADS/Maestro RR dash kit w/ Kenwood NAV setup to retain SYNC.

NOTE: OEM grille, mufflers, and 401A shift knob w/boot are for sale if interested. PM me an offer.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Yup, missed it, but it too is on order! I got the dash kit, rr module and HU from a company mentioned somewhere in this thread. The coupon code still works!
http://www.mustangwarrior.boards.net/
WarriorStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
12V Guy Do you have a website? Also does this only work for Kenwood head units?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
12V Guy Do you have a website? Also does this only work for Kenwood head units?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently yes. But the Alpine INE-957HD will ship any day now.

See here: 2014 Kenwood Radios and Maestro Ford Solution Update and here: Kenwood and Maestro in Mustang!

Best,

12V Guy
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

just a heads up for anyone that eliminates the factory amp all together, the antenna gets its 12v from that harness, meaning as soon as you cut power to the factory amp, the antenna in the trunk loses power the antenna amplifier. I installed a 4 channel amp and did away completely with the factory amp and 8" door subs, when I used the headunit amp turn on, that was formerly attached to the factory amp, my radio reception got terrible! I did some google searching and found out our antennas are powered and the box is attached to the antenna in the trunk. I simply spliced into the antenna 12v feed at the antenna box, then ran it to the remote amp turn on on the amp, voila!!!! HD radio again
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #186

Region: California
Hey all, just got a stock 2014 V6. Will all of this work with the pioneer flagship 7" head units?

Has anyone used those head units before?
Lordklutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordklutz View Post
Hey all, just got a stock 2014 V6. Will all of this work with the pioneer flagship 7" head units?

hopefully 12v Guy chimes in, but in the mean time check on the ADS-idatalink website, it will tell you all the info you need

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #188
Registered Member

Regular

No it will not work with pioneer. Right now only Kenwood. Alpine and the Pioneer NEX models will use it just not quite yet.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordklutz View Post

The Pioneer NEX models for 2014 did not include Gauges, Vehicle Info, and most importantly Climate. So you cannot use them with our MUS1 Dash Kit solution. Only the Alpine INE-957HD and the Kenwood radios will work.

Maybe next year. Please tell Pioneer you want this. Customer demand drives development.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Just installed the system in my 2014 GT about two weeks ago. Was a smooth install and everything works like a charm. However, the other day I turned my car on and for about 30 seconds things were fine, then all the sudden the factory LED display reverted to just saying "Mustang GT" and the front defroster turned on full blast, full heat. The deck still worked, I could get into the climate window, but presses to change things were ignored. I drove it home, took everything apart, re-flashed the Maestro, and reinstalled. Everything works fine now and has for the last few days. Hopefully this was an isolated incident - I couldn't find anything wrong with wiring or programming. I'm going on a road trip at the end of August and I would HATE to have this happen while away from my tools.

Images of the install below. I have a bare-bones GT, no Sync. I went with a Crutchfield refurb Kenwood model DNX-690HD. Also installed some MTX 6x8s in the front and rear (wow, getting to the rears is a big PITA). Next in the plan is to get a corner-fitted trunk box for a sub and some amplification to the whole system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00167.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	945.2 KB
ID:	160446   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00161.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	908.7 KB
ID:	160447  

ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerone View Post
then all the sudden the factory LED display reverted to just saying "Mustang GT" and the front defroster turned on full blast, full heat. The deck still worked, I could get into the climate window, but presses to change things were ignored. I drove it home, took everything apart, re-flashed the Maestro, and re-installed.

do things like this happen often? i want this system but don't want something i will have to be pulling out and reprogramming because it keeps messing up.
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
do things like this happen often? i want this system but don't want something i will have to be pulling out and reprogramming because it keeps messing up.
It's only happened once to me, albeit my installed time is less than two weeks, and hasn't happened since. I've not read about it from anyone else so it appears to be isolated and rare. I'm always lucky in getting the finicky ones when it comes to electronics.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

this actually happened to me back around Christmas, I had the system installed since sometime in October, thats the only time its ever happened, been working flawlessly since........
Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have gone with the lower cost method now available for 2014, and it works great.

Hate the idea of being stuck with one type of GPS maps and software. The 2014 Kenwood's allow you to duplicate Android smartphone screen and apps from the Kenwood touch screen, so any GPS app will then become Kenwood GPS.

DDX5901HD for $500 at Crutchfield, which then kicks in half price on the MUS1 and MRR, for shipped total of $690.

Connected old HTC 4g LTE using HDMI, paired Bluetooth, and am currently running Android iGo Primo GPS Software (or TomTom and any other Android software). Kenwood touch screen controls it all.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
this actually happened to me back around Christmas, I had the system installed since sometime in October, thats the only time its ever happened, been working flawlessly since........

There are very low number of reported cases of this and we are beating the entire system up on the bench with high temp, high data traffic and other extreme conditions to try and replicate the bug. We are in close contact with one of our testers who is putting in a lot of road testing hours.

It is a very rare and elusive bug that doesn't repeat often (as indicated by people only seeing it once). This makes it very hard to trace and find, but rest assured we are not taking it lightly.

Best,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V Guy View Post
We are in close contact with one of our testers who is putting in a lot of road testing hours.
just wanted to let you know, my wife and I just did a trip from outside Philly to Chicago (1600+mi round trip) with no issues what so ever, so knock on wood its a one time occurrence for me
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Mark

I finally replied on the 12 volt forums about my maestro rr resetting issue if you haven't seen it.

I don't drive my mustang very often as I work from home (3k since November). This problem hasn't happened it quite some time but I've had it at least 4 times.

Look forward to more updates on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Guys,

We think we may have found the root cause of this and it makes sense why it is so rare. Anyway, please re-flash your MRR to version 1.5 (if you have 2014 radio) or 1.8 (if you have a 2013 radio) of the firmware after today to get the latest update and let us know if you still ever have this happen.

Cheers,

mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by timle8n1 View Post
Mark

I finally replied on the 12 volt forums about my maestro rr resetting issue if you haven't seen it.

I don't drive my mustang very often as I work from home (3k since November). This problem hasn't happened it quite some time but I've had it at least 4 times.

Look forward to more updates on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

I flashed to 1.8 today, had no issues, and everything works as normal. I noticed the default fuel tank size is no longer up at like 300 - NICE change!

While I had the box out I changed up my programmed buttons a little bit. This brought up a thought - the dash kit has a spot for two usb ports. I only have one usb port on my deck so I thought why not wire up the Maestro box to the free usb port. Just took a A-B adapter and bam, I'm hooked up. Next time I don't need to pull the dash apart, just hook in my laptop, right? Newp. Seems the Maestro disables the programming usb port when its connected to the car, even with the car turned off. I also tried directly into the Maestro with the default cable while it was plugged into the car. No go. It would be super nice if in a future firmware update we could do something like this. It would make it a lot easier to update the firmware or change button configurations.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I flashed to 1.8 today, had no issues, and everything works as normal. I noticed the default fuel tank size is no longer up at like 300 - NICE change!

While I had the box out I changed up my programmed buttons a little bit. This brought up a thought - the dash kit has a spot for two usb ports. I only have one usb port on my deck so I thought why not wire up the Maestro box to the free usb port. Just took a A-B adapter and bam, I'm hooked up. Next time I don't need to pull the dash apart, just hook in my laptop, right? Newp. Seems the Maestro disables the programming usb port when its connected to the car, even with the car turned off. I also tried directly into the Maestro with the default cable while it was plugged into the car. No go. It would be super nice if in a future firmware update we could do something like this. It would make it a lot easier to update the firmware or change button configurations.

We can't initialize the boot loader when power is connected. We can only get into the boot loader at power up. So, what you want to do is not possible. Sorry.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #201

Region: Michigan
mine is being installed in the AM, I cant wait
Artie2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie2014GT View Post
mine is being installed in the AM, I cant wait
yeah man, you are going to love it!!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #203
Registered Member

Regular

One of the things I didn't like about the Kenwood was that the clock doesn't appear on the secondary( stock) screen...with the Alpine it does. I know this seems petty but the clock on the Kenwood stuff is hard to see. This is a nice addition.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
One of the things I didn't like about the Kenwood was that the clock doesn't appear on the secondary( stock) screen...with the Alpine it does. I know this seems petty but the clock on the Kenwood stuff is hard to see. This is a nice addition.
And no compass unless you are in nav. That's my only other pet peeve. Having the compass and clock in the stock LCD would be nice.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post

They must have changed it with Kenwood DDX5901HD, as clock does display in secondary display.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And no compass unless you are in nav. That's my only other pet peeve. Having the compass and clock in the stock LCD would be nice.

And compass is also displayed on secondary display with latest Kenwood's.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

I have the DNX690HD. Clock shows on every screen (iirc) except the nav screen, and compass only shows on the nav screen. It would just be more convenient either way to have it on the HUD LCD at the top of the console. Nit picking here, of course, as the system overall works splendidly.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Newer models use the secondary screen as well.
(if this is sorta what you are referring to?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-05 13.41.31.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	162922  
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #209
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
They must have changed it with Kenwood DDX5901HD, as clock does display in secondary display.

Oh thats cool. On my DNN770HD it didnt show up.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

the 2014 Kenwoods show the clock in the stock screen. fwiw my 2013 model Kenwood allows the stock screen to show the compass at all times

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video