Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #211
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah, secondary screen = hud lcd as I was calling it. Yeah my DNX690HD doesn't show the clock/compass up there. That's exactly what I am looking for.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna see if flashing a new firmware to my DNX690HD adds any functionality.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #213
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
And the coolest part of new Kenwood is full Android phone control from the $500 Kenwood DDX5901HD touch screen. The Kenwood screen mirrors the phone, and any Android app runs off the Kenwood screen. I use it for better GPS than the Kenwood GPS models. I think iPhones as well, but don't own so not sure.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #214
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
And the coolest part of new Kenwood is full Android phone control from the $500 Kenwood DDX5901HD touch screen. The Kenwood screen mirrors the phone, and any Android app runs off the Kenwood screen. I use it for better GPS than the Kenwood GPS models. I think iPhones as well, but don't own so not sure.
Whoa, that's really cool. I have an Android phone (HTC One) and it's great. This feature makes my decision easier.

I've been skimming this thread for a couple weeks now. I'm very interested in it, but I'm completely overwhelmed by the technical stuff. I think I need to talk with 12Vguy on the phone to get things clarified. To begin with, here is what my Mustang (2012 V6 premium) has now:

- It is equipped with Sync but I don't subscribe to Sync, so the "Phone" and voice-activation button on the steering wheel don't do anything. Does that make a difference?
- I hate the built-in microphone that comes stock and that's why I never used Sync. The people I'm talking to would always complain that I would sound like I'm a million miles away. So I think I would want to route the new microphone instead of using the stock one.
- I subscribe to Sirius and I would want that integrated with the system.
- My car has the comfort package, which includes heated seats. Are the controls for this affected? Is it built into the system or do the stock buttons stay in place and active?

Sorry, I'm sure the answers to these questions are scattered throughout this 20 page thread, but I'm really overwhelmed by it. If you guys could answer some of the questions, and/or if 12Vguy could contact me, that would be really great. I want to install this within a month, as I will likely be moving across the country soon and it would be nice to have it during the 1,300 mile drive.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #215
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Whoa, that's really cool. I have an Android phone (HTC One) and it's great. This feature makes my decision easier.

I've been skimming this thread for a couple weeks now. I'm very interested in it, but I'm completely overwhelmed by the technical stuff. I think I need to talk with 12Vguy on the phone to get things clarified. To begin with, here is what my Mustang (2012 V6 premium) has now:

- It is equipped with Sync but I don't subscribe to Sync, so the "Phone" and voice-activation button on the steering wheel don't do anything. Does that make a difference?
- I hate the built-in microphone that comes stock and that's why I never used Sync. The people I'm talking to would always complain that I would sound like I'm a million miles away. So I think I would want to route the new microphone instead of using the stock one.
- My car has the comfort package, which includes heated seats. Are the controls for this affected? Is it built into the system or do the stock buttons stay in place and active?

Sorry, I'm sure the answers to these questions are scattered throughout this 20 page thread, but I'm really overwhelmed by it. If you guys could answer some of the questions, and/or if 12Vguy could contact me, that would be really great. I want to install this within a month, as I will likely be moving across the country soon and it would be nice to have it during the 1,300 mile drive.
There is no subscription to SYNC..not sure why yours isnt working??

Sirius will work but you will need the SXV200. You can use the stock antenna if you take off the plastic around the end.

The stock microphone will work better than the aftermarket one. I have SYNC and the integration is seamless. Works just like the stock system.

The controls for the heated seats will be in the Kenwood unit now.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #216
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Subscribe to Sync? You should not need to subscribe to Sync for Sync and steering controls to properly function. But, not necessary to do any of the above.

Kenwood comes with a optional mic. I prefer the built in sync mic.

Sirius receiver free with Kenwood after rebate (or at least it was). It integrates nicely.

Comfort package with heated seats etc, all controlled by Kenwood touchscreen, and touch screen takes the place of factory controls.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #217
Registered Member

Regular

If youre on the fence with this stuff I can tell you its worth it. The stock stuff is "ok" at best. Being able to swap it all out and have full factory integration is amazing. Im an audio guy and Ive had many,many systems. It always seem to work out that you kind of have to pick and choose what you could use. This setup allows you to pretty much do every thing. It truly is one of the best systems Ive used, no it is the best Ive used. I do my own installs and this one is super easy..

The Kenwood units are ...well ok. They have some nice features and can be had pretty cheap. Some times they tend to be "glitchy". If you can deal with some of the issues with Kenwood,thats the way to go. I had a Kenwood but recently switched to the new Alpine 957. It is so much better than the Kenwood I had. Its not cheap though, with every thing Im in it around 2000.00. That might seem expensive but when compared to how much Ford charges for their Nav system, its a bargain.

To all the Kenwood users...Im not bashing Kenwood. Ive always been a Kenwood fan but they have their issues.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #218
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, guys. I'm not on the fence, I know I want it. I just don't know WHAT I need to buy for my particular setup. Now you guys got me really worried about my Sync. All I can say is that when I hit the "Phone" button on the dash, the phone button on the steering wheel, or the voice button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. This did not used to be the case when my car was less than a year old. Then I didn't use Sync for like 2 years because I hated the microphone. Now it doesn't do anything. Might it be because I got a new phone in between, so when I enter my car there is no bluetooth device hooked up?

The other thing I'm really overwhelmed with is when you go to the iDataLink website to make your order, there are like a dozen radio choices. I don't know what to go with.

Sorry... I know I sound like an uneducated whiner... I'm just very new to this audio/entertainment stuff.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #219
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'm not on the fence, I know I want it. I just don't know WHAT I need to buy for my particular setup. Now you guys got me really worried about my Sync. All I can say is that when I hit the "Phone" button on the dash, the phone button on the steering wheel, or the voice button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. This did not used to be the case when my car was less than a year old. Then I didn't use Sync for like 2 years because I hated the microphone. Now it doesn't do anything. Might it be because I got a new phone in between, so when I enter my car there is no bluetooth device hooked up?

The other thing I'm really overwhelmed with is when you go to the iDataLink website to make your order, there are like a dozen radio choices. I don't know what to go with.

Sorry... I know I sound like an uneducated whiner... I'm just very new to this audio/entertainment stuff.

You might want to have some one check out your car, the SYNC should be working.

As far as what to go with you have to set your budget. You can only use certain Kenwoods and the Alpine 957HD. When you go to the 12V website you want to use a HU that shows "data". That means you will have all the climate controls and gauges built in to the HU. You can use Pioneer but they dont support "data". I talked to them and they dont have any plans right now to do so.

If money isnt an issue go with the Alpine.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #220
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you go through Crutchfield they give you 50% off accessories with purchase of a head unit.

In my case for 2014 Base w/Sync this meant:
Kenwood DDX5901HD DVD Receiver $499.99
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR $149.99 less 50% $74.99
iDatalink ADS-KIT-MUS01 $229.99 less 50% $114.99
Chrysler/GM/Ford Antenna Adapt Motorola M to OEM antenna F = FREE
SiriusXM Connect & Save MIR 5/1-12/31/2014 $50 (free after rebate)

Shipping FREE
Total $689.98

Any issues, call them and they will do order manually for you, with the head unit you choose. They can also assist you with Head unit choices that will be compatible.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #221
Registered Member
Regular

www.soundoftristate.com has great deals on complete Kenwood and maestro systems. they are 100% legit and we'll known and respected in my area

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #222
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You need to pair your current phone with Sync. After that, all will work just fine.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I've done a lot more reading online and feel more educated. One thing I couldn't find much information on: the on board diagnostic features. This is something I'm REALLY interested in. What I would love is gauges that show in real time as I'm driving things like air-fuel ratio, boost/vac pressure, oil/coolant temps, exhaust temps, etc. OBDii scanners that are specifically designed for this show dozens of parameters. I haven't found anywhere a list of parameters that the Maestro RR can acquire. They have said tire pressures, battery voltage, and a couple other things, but is that it?

I've also been trying to find screenshots of these gauges displayed on screen. I want to compare the different head units on this feature. It seems like most people don't care about this feature as much as I do, so the companies don't publicize it as blatantly as the other features like GPS.

I assume that the Maestro is plugged in to the OBDii port to take these readings? If so, is there a splitter or something I could buy to run both the Maestro and any other tool I end up buying down the road, simultaneously?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #224
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Ok, I've done a lot more reading online and feel more educated. One thing I couldn't find much information on: the on board diagnostic features. This is something I'm REALLY interested in. What I would love is gauges that show in real time as I'm driving things like air-fuel ratio, boost/vac pressure, oil/coolant temps, exhaust temps, etc. OBDii scanners that are specifically designed for this show dozens of parameters. I haven't found anywhere a list of parameters that the Maestro RR can acquire. They have said tire pressures, battery voltage, and a couple other things, but is that it?

I've also been trying to find screenshots of these gauges displayed on screen. I want to compare the different head units on this feature. It seems like most people don't care about this feature as much as I do, so the companies don't publicize it as blatantly as the other features like GPS.

I assume that the Maestro is plugged in to the OBDii port to take these readings? If so, is there a splitter or something I could buy to run both the Maestro and any other tool I end up buying down the road, simultaneously?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
We don't have a list of gauges that are supported. Maybe someone here could post what was supported for them, but it varies with engine type and trim of car. We always support tire pressure, door status and check engine read/reset.

The connection is made directly to the wires off the back of OBDII port so still have access to the port. However, it is not possible to have two OBDII devices acting as scan tools at the same time. In the Settings Menu in the gauges screen we give you some options to control when OBDII is on or off.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about getting raxiom but I don't have sync (I've got a 2014 base mustang) after seeing this thread for a couple of weeks I'm getting convinced getting the maestro kit. I've gone to Crutchfield and seen both Kenwoods and Alpines. What do you guys recommend; Kenwood or Alpine? I've seen some guys say Kenwood is a bit glitchy is it for all Kenwoods? What do guys have?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #226
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I was thinking about getting raxiom but I don't have sync (I've got a 2014 base mustang) after seeing this thread for a couple of weeks I'm getting convinced getting the maestro kit. I've gone to Crutchfield and seen both Kenwoods and Alpines. What do you guys recommend; Kenwood or Alpine? I've seen some guys say Kenwood is a bit glitchy is it for all Kenwoods? What do guys have?

I've had my Kenwood DNX890HD and the maestro system since last October, I've experienced NO glitches what so ever with the Kenwood unit itself..........

Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #227
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Do some reading here:
KenwoodForums.com • Index page

Its hit and miss with Kenwood. I had the DNN770HD and from the time I turned the key on until I had music was almost a minute. That drove me nuts. The only Alpine you can use is the 957 so keep that in mind. PM your email adddress and i can send you some screen shots. Its a great unit with a ton of features, plus a 7" screen.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #228
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind the changes each year.

You wouldn't want to be looking at info from 2010 210HP V6 Mustangs if you plan on buying a new 305HP V6 today. Same thing with Kenwood. 2014's are far advanced over even the 2013 models. Much faster processors. Look for models with 4 digits, not 3, to see what today's Kenwood's are like. Just timed my key to music and under 8 seconds.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #229
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

You wouldn't want to be looking at info from 2010 210HP V6 Mustangs if you plan on buying a new 305HP V6 today. Same thing with Kenwood. 2014's are far advanced over even then 2013 models. Much faster processors. Look for models with 4 digits, not 3, to see what today's Kenwood's are like. Just timed my key to music and under 8 seconds.

I agree. The 2014 stuff is much better than the 2013 stuff. Like I said its hit and miss. When I had my 770 I was reading about issues that other were having but I wasnt. Ever since Kenwood was bought by JVC their quality has suffered a bit.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #230
Registered Member

Regular

I got a couple of people that wanted to see the secreen shots. Ill post them here but for some reason they are always upside down and I have no reason why...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	162986   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	162987  

Name:	photo 3 (2).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	162988  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #231
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I've had my Kenwood DNX890HD and the maestro system since last October, I've experienced NO glitches what so ever with the Kenwood unit itself..........

I'm not to sure but I think this is one that I was looking at to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Do some reading here:
KenwoodForums.com • Index page

Its hit and miss with Kenwood. I had the DNN770HD and from the time I turned the key on until I had music was almost a minute. That drove me nuts. The only Alpine you can use is the 957 so keep that in mind. PM your email adddress and i can send you some screen shots. Its a great unit with a ton of features, plus a 7" screen.

Hmm I looked at the idatalink website if I remember correctly it shows one can use four different Alpines. I'll have to make sure of this. Although I saw the 957 and liked it. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

Quote:

You wouldn't want to be looking at info from 2010 210HP V6 Mustangs if you plan on buying a new 305HP V6 today. Same thing with Kenwood. 2014's are far advanced over even the 2013 models. Much faster processors. Look for models with 4 digits, not 3, to see what today's Kenwood's are like. Just timed my key to music and under 8 seconds.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #232
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got a couple of people that wanted to see the secreen shots. Ill post them here but for some reason they are always upside down and I have no reason why...
Thanks for posting the pics looks great!... No prob we can just turn our phones upside down or our heads :sly:

Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #233
Registered Member
Regular

Do any of these come with the rearview camera? Not sure if I read it somewhere here or someplace else...

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #234
Registered Member
Regular

I used this $28 from Amazon, Pyle PLCM18BC License Plate Mount Rearview Backup Color Camera with Distance Scale Line, and couldn't be happier. Auto on when in reverse, or hold down a button on the Kenwood to instantly turn on anytime.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #235
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just timed my key to music and under 8 seconds.
that's the one thing I'm not happy with, my DNX890HD takes way too long to boot up and play music

Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #236

Region: Michigan
got mine back today, I love it. only 1 problem the first and last buttons work on the kit but the gauge and temp up down dont, any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cgosms_2014-08-0512-21-47.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	992.9 KB
ID:	162989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cgosms_2014-08-0511-56-37.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	162990  

Name:	Cgosms_2014-08-0512-02-00.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	916.5 KB
ID:	162991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cgosms_2014-08-0511-57-37.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	996.1 KB
ID:	162992  

Artie2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #237
Registered Member
Regular

@14mayhem Thanks! Looks good. How long have you had it?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #238
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ did you program those buttons when you flashed the module?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #239

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
^^^ did you program those buttons when you flashed the module?

Yeah, I did. steering wheel is fine the climate and defrost work fine just the other 3 buttons dont work
Artie2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie2014GT View Post
Yeah, I did. steering wheel is fine the climate and defrost work fine just the other 3 buttons dont work
What is the user name or email used to flash the module? If the LED on the MRR blinks when you press all of the middle three button, but nothing happens you probably did not assign any functions to them. They are NONE by default on the web since we don't know what button tops you plan to use.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #241
Registered Member

Regular

Vic14....you are correct there are actually 5 Alpines. The 957 retails for 1500.00 and the other 4 are over 2000.00. One of them is for GM trucks. It has a 9" screen and retails for 3000.00....I recommend the 957 for the price point. I got mine for under 1200.00.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #242
Registered Member
Regular

Socal... Yup! Crutchfield has the 957 for 1,299. Pretty good deal if it runs for 1,500. The other Alpines I still haven't checked the prices. Kenwoods are a bit cheaper in price compared to the Alpines, some Kenwoods I've seen are good I'll see what happens although I'm leaning a bit more towards the 957.
Question the light on the buttons what color are they on the 957? I want one that's at least close to the OEM.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #243
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Socal... Yup! Crutchfield has the 957 for 1,299. Pretty good deal if it runs for 1,500. The other Alpines I still haven't checked the prices. Kenwoods are a bit cheaper in price compared to the Alpines, some Kenwoods I've seen are good I'll see what happens although I'm leaning a bit more towards the 957.
Question the light on the buttons what color are they on the 957? I want one that's at least close to the OEM.

If I recall the buttons are white. They are very subtle though and they cant be changed.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #244
Registered Member

Regular

Vic14...when youre ready to buy check this place out.

Car Audio, Speakers & Video | Marine Audio | Pacific Stereo

They are local to me and Ive had good luck dealing with them. This is the best car stereo store Ive ever been too. They have inventory like Walmart, its huge!! They carry every thing from low to high prices.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #245
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Vic14...when youre ready to buy check this place out.

Car Audio, Speakers & Video | Marine Audio | Pacific Stereo

They are local to me and Ive had good luck dealing with them. This is the best car stereo store Ive ever been too. They have inventory like Walmart, its huge!! They carry every thing from low to high prices.
Cool. Already bookmarked. Thanks! I'll either order through these guys or crutchfield. Unless I find some place here locally for the same price or close to it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video