Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #246
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V Guy View Post
The connection is made directly to the wires off the back of OBDII port so still have access to the port. However, it is not possible to have two OBDII devices acting as scan tools at the same time. In the Settings Menu in the gauges screen we give you some options to control when OBDII is on or off.

Thanks. Follow up question: How does that affect the ability to tune the car? Can I still hook up a tuner like normal? Or do I need to go dig behind the port to unhook the other wires if I want to change the tune?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #247
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Thanks. Follow up question: How does that affect the ability to tune the car? Can I still hook up a tuner like normal? Or do I need to go dig behind the port to unhook the other wires if I want to change the tune?

It won't affect it at all if you tap them from behind. I used a smaller gauge wire and plugged mine in the front. That way I can easily remove them for dealer purposes and then put them back.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #248

Hey guys, I installed this in my 2014 5.0 and I had a connector left over on the car side. My stock radio had two connectors plugged into it and the antenna and the t-harness only has one connector. Is this normal or am I missing something? I've also noticed that the car has much less bass and if I try to bring it up the speakers start clipping. I am using a DNX-890HD with the MUS1 and Maestro RR.
salty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #249
Registered Member
Regular

I was just thinking about this today... why are climate and rear defroster fixed buttons? I can count on one hand how many times I've had to use the rear defroster in my car in the last 3 years on one hand... exactly zero times! I would love to ditch the defroster button for something more useful.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #250
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerone View Post
I was just thinking about this today... why are climate and rear defroster fixed buttons? I can count on one hand how many times I've had to use the rear defroster in my car in the last 3 years on one hand... exactly zero times! I would love to ditch the defroster button for something more useful.

Might have something to do with the fact that you live in California. I can't count how many times I've used the rear defroster on both hands and both feet during last winter alone.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #251
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I can go back 30+ years without ever using a rear defroster. Definitely wish that was different or at least changeable.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #252
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The radio's OEM settings under gauges allow OBDII to be auto-disabled when it senses something else plugged in. I choose the manual disable setting when I wish to mess with a tuner and it temporarily disables radio OBDII communication while you do ECU stuff, then press auto-disable when done. Works perfect. Nothing to unplug or dig around under column/dash for.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #253
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dont believe from what I remember that it affected actually flashing a tune with the OBDII connections, but you cannot datalog with the Maestro connected to the OBDII port, I had to actually install bullet plugs that I disconnect to datalog, there is a setting to disable the OBDII connection in the headunit, but that didnt work me, I have to physically disconnect
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #254
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I dont believe from what I remember that it affected actually flashing a tune with the OBDII connections, but you cannot datalog with the Maestro connected to the OBDII port, I had to actually install bullet plugs that I disconnect to datalog, there is a setting to disable the OBDII connection in the headunit, but that didnt work me, I have to physically disconnect

No problems here datalogging SCT X4 with Maestro connected to OBDII port and Kenwood settings set to disable OBDII. Works great, with nothing to unplug.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #255
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
No problems here datalogging SCT X4 with Maestro connected to OBDII port and Kenwood settings set to disable OBDII. Works great, with nothing to unplug.
thats odd, maybe its the X4 thats the difference, I have an X3.......
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #256
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
thats odd, maybe its the X4 thats the difference, I have an X3.......
Exactly what model radio do each of you have? This could make a big difference in my decision. I didn't tune yet, but I plan to. I would buy the X4 at this point, however.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #257
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I totally agree. Ive havent used a rear defroster since....damn I dont even remember.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #258
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly what model radio do each of you have? This could make a big difference in my decision. I didn't tune yet, but I plan to. I would buy the X4 at this point, however.
I have the Kenwood DNX890HD, at this point its seems Im an isolated case with this issue.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I totally agree. Ive havent used a rear defroster since....damn I dont even remember.
lol used mine this morning
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #259
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
The climate and rear defrost buttons are fixed because the shape is different than the middle buttons. It wasn't practical make a bunch of tops in three different shapes, so we picked something for first and last button. These needed to be something ALL cars have.

Let's face it, you NEED the Climate button. The rear defrost, well all cars have it and it's nice if it's cold to get that working before radio boots.

NOW, with that said, you can assign secondary (Press and hold) functions to these buttons on the web as you like.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #260
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V Guy View Post
NOW, with that said, you can assign secondary (Press and hold) functions to these buttons on the web as you like.

Or even assign the primary to something different!
While button appearance is unchanged, primary function on rear defrost button now is front defogger. Close enough to be less annoying.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #261
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Or even assign the primary to something different!
While button appearance is unchanged, primary function on rear defrost button now is front defogger. Close enough to be less annoying.

HAHAHA there you go!!!
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #262
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I reprogrammed mine as well. An alternative "universal" solution could be to have blanks for the end-stops, or at least just a blank option for the right end-stop.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #263
Registered Member
Regular

I would guess that Florida leads the other states with most Mustangs. But, auto parts might be based on what things are like "up north" as normal (to them).

Automotive Data Solutions, Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Just like I can't remember last time in more than 30 years I used rear defrost, I also can't remember a week that has not had A/C turned on, and most months, it is on everyday (even most Christmas and New Years days). But this is the other extreme from up north. Replaceable blanks seems like perfect solution.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #264
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I reprogrammed mine as well. An alternative "universal" solution could be to have blanks for the end-stops, or at least just a blank option for the right end-stop.
I will look into it.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #265
VGT

Region: Pennsylvania
I could use a little help!

Got everything, but I'm a bit confused. I started mocking up what needs to be connected to the Maestro, and the installation diagram shows a blue connector, that is part of the T harness, going into the Maestro (Step 9):

However, my T harness does not have a blue connector, and a separate connector came inside the Maestro box with a blue connector, on the other end is a 3.5mm jack and a green wire (on the right, not connected):

What am I supposed to do here?
VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #266
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install.

if I remember correctly, the blue connector with the 3.5mm audio jack goes into the maestro module then plugs in the back of the head unit
Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #267
VGT

Okay - do you know what (if anything) that green wire needs to be spliced into? The diagram for the unit shows the blue connector as being part of the T-Harness, and there is a separate 3.5mm cable that goes from the Maestro to the Head Unit (according to the directions).
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #268
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGT View Post
Okay - do you know what (if anything) that green wire needs to be spliced into? The diagram for the unit shows the blue connector as being part of the T-Harness, and there is a separate 3.5mm cable that goes from the Maestro to the Head Unit (according to the directions).
you know what? I dont think that blue plugged harness is used afterall, believe thats for setups that dont use the dash panel, I could be wrong, Im going to bow out at this point, hopefully someone will chime in, Im coming up on a year since I did my install man.......
Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #269
VGT

Quote:
you know what? I dont think that blue plugged harness is used afterall, believe thats for setups that dont use the dash panel, I could be wrong, Im going to bow out at this point, hopefully someone will chime in, Im coming up on a year since I did my install man.......
Thanks anyway man! Hopefully someone chimes in, was hoping to start putting this together first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #270

Region: North Carolina
I have the Kenwood DNN991HD installed and I'm guessing the only way to use bluetooth is via sync which is no problem. Just curious why I can't get my subs to work when I'm using bluetooth? It works with the radio and usb just not bluetooth. Is the only way to play video via the hdmi cable that's additional or can it be played by usb? I have an iphone 5.
Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #271
VGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickster View Post
I have the Kenwood DNN991HD installed and I'm guessing the only way to use bluetooth is via sync which is no problem. Just curious why I can't get my subs to work when I'm using bluetooth? It works with the radio and usb just not bluetooth. Is the only way to play video via the hdmi cable that's additional or can it be played by usb? I have an iphone 5.
Finally got my 890HD set up, you can pair an iPhone 5 to Sync and Kenwood BT at the same time, you just need to go into the bluetooth audio part of the HU, and add your phone. My voice goes through sync, my audio through the headunit.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #272
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you have to into the bluetooth settings of the headunit and select all I believe it is for the speakers, then your sub(s) will work, I had the same issue, had to google it lol
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #273

I did that. It was set to front left. Even when I select all just the car speakers play still and not the subs.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #274
Registered Member
Regular

Question:
May have been answered already.

Will the buttons on the steering wheel still be functional; volume etc?

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die... The in between is mine."
Old 09-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #275
Registered Member
Regular

Vic14: Yep, that's one of the reasons for using these dash kits. Not only are the steering wheel buttons usable, but they are completely programmable.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #276
Registered Member
Regular

Ninerone: that's pretty cool, thanks.

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die... The in between is mine."
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #277
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGT View Post
I could use a little help!

Got everything, but I'm a bit confused. I started mocking up what needs to be connected to the Maestro, and the installation diagram shows a blue connector, that is part of the T harness, going into the Maestro (Step 9):

However, my T harness does not have a blue connector, and a separate connector came inside the Maestro box with a blue connector, on the other end is a 3.5mm jack and a green wire (on the right, not connected):

What am I supposed to do here?
You have new instructions, but older MUS1. The new (now shipping) dash kit has a blue plug that has a positive foot brake output for Alpine radios. If you have a Kenwood, this is not needed anyway.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #278
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is known issue to Kenwood and there is update on their website for both the radio firmware and the BT radio. You need DNN V1.3 and V1.0 BT update. After the update, it doesn't work give myerger@kenwoodusa.com a message.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #279

Thanks. That worked!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #280
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know what the cheapest Bluetooth kenwood that works with this kit. I do not have sync.

Sabs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video