Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install. - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs14 View Post
Anyone know what the cheapest Bluetooth kenwood that works with this kit. I do not have sync.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
DDX5901HD - this is AV only, non-navigation.
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #282
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Hey 12v Guy, I have a question. I dont have the time to go back thru and see if this has been discussed or not but the blue lights behind the buttons look pretty bad (wrong color blue and one looks kind of dim compared to the others). I never really noticed it until now...is there anything I can do about it?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Hey 12v Guy, I have a question. I dont have the time to go back thru and see if this has been discussed or not but the blue lights behind the buttons look pretty bad (wrong color blue and one looks kind of dim compared to the others). I never really noticed it until now...is there anything I can do about it?
Send me a pm. We have corrected bars. I can mail you one.
maestro.idatalink.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #284
Registered Member

Regular

Pm coming your way...
Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Pm coming your way...
Button bar coming your way.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #286
Registered Member

Regular

Got it!! Thanks Mark I appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #287
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
quick question. I'm looking to get a navigation set up for my 2013 base model GT without sync. I would like to be able to have Bluetooth also. is it possible for the steering wheel buttons to be able to control say Pandora on my phone like you would with just regular sync or would I have to use the buttons on the unit itself or my phone? I know volume will work but what about switching songs?
2013 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #288

Region: New Jersey
OK, I'm starting my install today. The info here has been pretty helpful, so thanks to everyone who's posted. Installing with a Kenwood DNX891 into a 2011 GT with Sync, which I am disabling.

I had some of the same issues others did, where my MUS1 kit came with a glob of wires, but ZERO documentation. I plan on using all the features of the Kenwood (Nav, backup cam, etc) and I still have no idea if I need to manually connect to the reverse light and parking brake, or the harness/RR unit does this via CANBUS.

The person from ADS, is there ANY documentation for the custom harness included in the MUS1 kit? Mine only came with the software/web brochure, and I just bought it new from Crutchfield last week.

There is also ZERO information about what you need to connect the Sub IN connector to. Sub in to WHAT? And while I figured out the EIA color coded RCA wires on my own for speakers, what in the world to THOSE connect to.

I have the Shaker 500 system, and have no idea what needs to connect to what on this weirdo harness.

Pretty bummed.... I'm a pretty experienced car audio junky, have numerous systems in many of my cars, including pretty complex DSP/Multi Amp systems with custom wiring harness I've made, but this is the most confusing thing I've seen in a while.....
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

there are install guides available to print out on the idatalink website, sorry but I don't remember what I connected the sub in to, I no longer use the factory amp or subs

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #290

Region: New Jersey
Thanks Scott...

I downloaded all the guides, and after going through them realized that the install info is scattered about in a bunch of different documents.

I can probably get it to work now. Such a nicely built product, with such atrocious documentation.......
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #291
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanohead View Post
Thanks Scott...

I downloaded all the guides, and after going through them realized that the install info is scattered about in a bunch of different documents.

I can probably get it to work now. Such a nicely built product, with such atrocious documentation.......
yeah man, they need to address that. post if there's anything that gives you an issue, I'll help out of I can

Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #292

Ok guys I tried reading all the posts and they are too much good info but I find it easier to just ask straight out. My buttons (climate, temp, gauges and defrost) aren't working at all. Everything else works just fine. They don't lit up or anything. I'm wondering if I left a cable out or something. Any similar situation out there at the beginning of your installation?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mateo.lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #293
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo.lo View Post
Ok guys I tried reading all the posts and they are too much good info but I find it easier to just ask straight out. My buttons (climate, temp, gauges and defrost) aren't working at all. Everything else works just fine. They don't lit up or anything. I'm wondering if I left a cable out or something. Any similar situation out there at the beginning of your installation?

There is a plug on the T-harness that needs to be connected to the back of the button bar. That's all the wiring necessary for them to work.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #294
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Scott...

Hi,

Would love to understand the issue with the docs. They have all recently been redone. There are only 2 you need:

OWNER MANUAL - for operation AFTER install:

Kenood Radio:
http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...N_20140918.pdf

Alpine Radio: http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...N_20140918.pdf

INSTALL GUIDE - for info before and during install. Locate your particular car/trim in the table of contents on the left side. Click it and print only the pages needed for your car/trim.
http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...N_20140918.pdf

The correct guides are presented for download after you flash the Maestro MRR which you do based on the quick start guide in the MUS1 box or the MRR box.

Best,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

did you flash the module? and as 12V guy said, there is a small plug that gets connected to bar for it to work, it's to the right side (passenger) of the bar on the back

Old 11-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #296

Ok sorry for my ignorance. Do I need to flash the module? I imagined it would come flashed. And if not how do I go about doing that?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #297
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok sorry for my ignorance. Do I need to flash the module? I imagined it would come flashed. And if not how do I go about doing that?

There is a quick start guide in the MRR box and in the MUS1 box.

http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...N_20131002.pdf

How would we know what button tops you put on your bar and what features you want to control if you did not program the module to tell us? We're not able to read your mind just yet.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #298
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

follow the instructions for flashing, you'll have to remove the module from the car completely to flash it, the flashing enables you to choose what your steering wheel buttons control as well as what bar buttons you chose, it doesn't come flashed because it is totally customizable as to what you want to control

Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #299

Thank you guys I'll get on it as soon as get out of college! I have a Mac would it be compatible?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you guys I'll get on it as soon as get out of college! I have a Mac would it be compatible?

Not unless you are running windows virtually. You have to us Internet Explorer as the plug in is activeX. Sorry.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #301

I'll do it with a school computer then thanks for the "Heads up"

Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My first post to this thread but I thought Id also share my feedback.

Awesome. Installed the MUS1 with a Kenwood DNN991HD on a 2013 with Sync and I couldn't be happier with the functionality and look. Im coming right from a Pioneer 8000 NEX and a Scosche kit which did function well but didn't look as good, with the HU being located lower on the dash. I was also never able to get the steering wheel buttons to function but thats mostly due to the complicated setup and my laziness.

I do like some of the UI elements of the Pioneer better but all of the added functionality of the Kenwood make up for it. The MUS1 is star of the show though, with the appearance and how easy the install is.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #303
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V Guy View Post
Not unless you are running windows virtually. You have to us Internet Explorer as the plug in is activeX. Sorry.
I found this out on Friday, which didnt surprise me. What was a bit annoying is that in the documentation where it directs you to the site theres actually a picture of a MacBook.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #304
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
I found this out on Friday, which didnt surprise me. What was a bit annoying is that in the documentation where it directs you to the site theres actually a picture of a MacBook.
Yes I complain about that to our marketing guy OFTEN!
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #305
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I complain about that to our marketing guy OFTEN!
I can understand how that might not be that big a deal or even an easy fix but when a Mac person is assuming there isn't a plugin for them and then sees that- Doh! Oh well, still love the dash kit and module.

While I have your attention- I haven't yet completed the cutting and reconnecting of the Sync wire under the glove compartment but is that wiring alone responsible for the 4 keys on my steering wheel not working? Volume and next track buttons work but the others do not.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can understand how that might not be that big a deal or even an easy fix but when a Mac person is assuming there isn't a plugin for them and then sees that- Doh! Oh well, still love the dash kit and module.

While I have your attention- I haven't yet completed the cutting and reconnecting of the Sync wire under the glove compartment but is that wiring alone responsible for the 4 keys on my steering wheel not working? Volume and next track buttons work but the others do not.
Three keys won't work, not 4. The keys connected to the secondary wire are OK, Voice and Phone.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #307
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Three keys won't work, not 4. The keys connected to the secondary wire are OK, Voice and Phone.
I forgot, the music key does work. So this single wire is responsible for those three keys?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #308

Region: Other
Quote:
Hi guys. I installed my kit last week and it worked perfectly. Everything is spot on. Really awesome. But I eventually found out that three of the buttons on my steering wheel don't work. Exactly as mentioned by 12V, the Voice, Phone and Ok buttons give no response. At first I thought it was a bad module flashing. But I reflashed it and it still doesn't work. The other three buttons work exactly as I have configured them.

During installation I connected the Pink/red wire to the blue/orange wire from the Sync harness, as instructed in the manual. Did I miss something out?

I have the MUS1+Maestro RR kit with a DNN990HD replacing the Shaker500 on a 2011 GT with sync.
jkirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #309
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkpat View Post
Hi guys. I installed my kit last week and it worked perfectly. Everything is spot on. Really awesome. But I eventually found out that three of the buttons on my steering wheel don't work. Exactly as mentioned by 12V, the Voice, Phone and Ok buttons give no response. At first I thought it was a bad module flashing. But I reflashed it and it still doesn't work. The other three buttons work exactly as I have configured them.

During installation I connected the Pink/red wire to the blue/orange wire from the Sync harness, as instructed in the manual. Did I miss something out?

I have the MUS1+Maestro RR kit with a DNN990HD replacing the Shaker500 on a 2011 GT with sync.
You either:

1. Have the wrong wire
2. Did not cut it in half, but rather tapped into it
3. Did cut in half, but connected to the wrong side

Call ADS technical support for help, speak to Dara.
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #310

Thanks, 12V.
I guess you're right. I really did tap in to it.
I didn't understand the drawing at first but now that you've told me, it is pretty clear.
I'll get to it right away and let you know if it works.
Thanks again
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #311
Registered Member
Regular

before you actually cut the wire, test it and make sure it's the correct wire first. I'm not sure right off the top of my head, but there will be a voltage drop when you press the voice button, if you have the correct wire. there are a few wires in there that look similar, so test the wire before cutting

Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #312

Thank you, guys. I did test the voltage for that wire and it's the right one. Around 5V and it decreases when the buttons are pressed. It was just a question of cutting off the Sync side wire and it worked. Awesome.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:49 AM   #313
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK, I'm starting my install today. The info here has been pretty helpful, so thanks to everyone who's posted. Installing with a Kenwood DNX891 into a 2011 GT with Sync, which I am disabling.

I had some of the same issues others did, where my MUS1 kit came with a glob of wires, but ZERO documentation. I plan on using all the features of the Kenwood (Nav, backup cam, etc) and I still have no idea if I need to manually connect to the reverse light and parking brake, or the harness/RR unit does this via CANBUS.

The person from ADS, is there ANY documentation for the custom harness included in the MUS1 kit? Mine only came with the software/web brochure, and I just bought it new from Crutchfield last week.

There is also ZERO information about what you need to connect the Sub IN connector to. Sub in to WHAT? And while I figured out the EIA color coded RCA wires on my own for speakers, what in the world to THOSE connect to.

I have the Shaker 500 system, and have no idea what needs to connect to what on this weirdo harness.

Pretty bummed.... I'm a pretty experienced car audio junky, have numerous systems in many of my cars, including pretty complex DSP/Multi Amp systems with custom wiring harness I've made, but this is the most confusing thing I've seen in a while.....
Did you get the quick start guide in the Maestro RR box? If yes, please follow it and flash the module first. Once you do, you will get the correct install guide and a comprehensive owner guide too. We can't include this in the box because the install and user guide are completely different depending on install and radio you use. Please understand we are a web company and you don't need to search for the correct guide. Flash the module and all will be given.

When you flash, make sure you choose the MUS1 as your accessory and uncheck Sync boxes in the step where you choose what OEM systems you are retaining.

Thanks,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #314
Registered Member
Regular

Can the existing microphone in the car be used if I have the radio control phone calls instead of Sync? I'd rather use that instead of installing the extra mic.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #315
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can the existing microphone in the car be used if I have the radio control phone calls instead of Sync? I'd rather use that instead of installing the extra mic.

no, the built in mic will only work when Sync is setup for calls, Ive experimented........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video