Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Idatalink/Maestro MUS1 Dash kit install.

121K views 445 replies 61 participants last post by  wyzard 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I've seen a lot of talk about the new Idatalink dash kit but nothing as far as installs go. I have my dash kit along with my Maestro ADS-MRR adapter coming in tomorrow. I have a Kenwood DNX9990HD HU waiting to go in. I'll be more than happy to update this thread with pictures through out the entire install. Probably starting around 5pm or so tomorrow EST. Just in case anyone was interested in the outcome and process :thumb: Stay tuned!

#2 ·
Hi Morgan...

I'm looking forward to this thread because I currently have the Maestro RR/Kenwood deck but I'm using a Metra dash kit and want to switch to this. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Also, I'm hoping it's a typo but I noticed you said you were installing a DNX9990HD. If so, that's a 2012 model and does NOT have the climate controls built in. Again, hoping it's a typo but if not, you won't be able to use this deck with the ADS dash kit.

#3 ·
Hi Morgan... I'm looking forward to this thread because I currently have the Maestro RR/Kenwood deck but I'm using a Metra dash kit and want to switch to this. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Also, I'm hoping it's a typo but I noticed you said you were installing a DNX9990HD. If so, that's a 2012 model and does NOT have the climate controls built in. Again, hoping it's a typo but if not, you won't be able to use this deck with the ADS dash kit.
I contacted Idatalink and asked them and they confirmed that this head unit still works with it. About to start the install so lets find out!

#4 ·
Yes, it WILL work with the Maestro RR unit, but I don't think it'll work with the dash kit because all the climate controls will be accessed by the stereo. The 2012 Kenwood models do not have this option. I'm guessing iDataLink was assuming you were talking about the RR unit and not the dash kit.

Also note that if you have Sirius XM and want to keep it you will not have that ability with the 2012 Kenwood models because the Maestro RR unit takes up the port that the satellite radio would need to use.

I DO hope that I'm wrong here, but I've done a lot of research on this while upgrading the stereo in my Mustang and this is what I've run into.

#5 ·
Yes, it WILL work with the Maestro RR unit, but I don't think it'll work with the dash kit because all the climate controls will be accessed by the stereo. The 2012 Kenwood models do not have this option. I'm guessing iDataLink was assuming you were talking about the RR unit and not the dash kit. Also note that if you have Sirius XM and want to keep it you will not have that ability with the 2012 Kenwood models because the Maestro RR unit takes up the port that the satellite radio would need to use. I DO hope that I'm wrong here, but I've done a lot of research on this while upgrading the stereo in my Mustang and this is what I've run into.
I messaged them and specifically asked every detail about the build. To which they responded that everything "would definitely work" so if I get halfway through this and find out otherwise I would be highly disappointed with their customer service. Especially with the price involved.

#7 ·
Okay! So end of the day synopsis. Sadly enough Double J was right and my head unit doesn't work. With that being said I'm attempting to return it and get a DNX890HD asap. I must say I'm highly disappointed with Maestro and their information at this point. After blatantly asking everything I needed (and being lied to about my head unit being compatible) they forgot to mention I would need a special harness for my ADS-MRR Module. So now I have to order that along with another HU. Soooo looks like progress is hauled due to this...will update when I restart.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear man ;(

Don't give up on ADS customer service just yet. I've had great luck with them. I think either there was some miscommunication or you might have just gotten a newby that didn't know his stuff.

I will say though that this fact is very well documented out there with this dash kit. If you read the details on Crutchfield's site or ADS they specifically state that you will need a newer 2013 model Kenwood deck in order to work with all the features...specifically the Climate Controls.

Still looking forward to your install. :thumb:

Reactions: 12V Guy
#9 ·
Not to sound sarcastic or anything but I actually asked about this before Crutchfield had them for sale. Or before Kenwood had even updated their website about it. So all I had to go on was the answers I had from Idatalink. The only info available on it was the minimal info on their website. Oh well. Lesson learned. I still haven't received any updates from Idatalink but I have received an update from the place I bought my head unit. Looks like I'll be able to return it so this may end up being a far less expensive mistake than I originally thought.

#11 ·
Hi,

This is Mark from ADS. I am very sorry you were given the incorrect information. Not everyone in our team knows all the nuances of the various Kenwood radios. I hope you are able to get a DNX890 without any issues.

I am not sure what you mean by special harness, but you only need 3 things to make this install work:

1. Compatible radio - 2013 Kenwood DNX or DNN model
2. MUS1 - Mustang dash kit and harness package
3. ADS-MRR - the Maestro module

I am sorry this has been a pain, but happy to help you get er done and hope the results will be worth it.

Best,

12V Guy

#12 ·
Hey Mark! I was referring to the ADS-HRN-FO1. Which basically saves you a ridiculous amount of time when wiring everything. I only discovered it's existence when I went to flash my RR module and it came up as a "recommended accessory" which when you start running everything it would have been a huge help to have.

#13 ·
A custom version of that harness is INCLUDED in the MUS1 kit. You can see it in your pictures (the bottom picture is this harness). :) It is different than the ADS-HRN(SR)-FOR01 because it has the extra plug needed to connect to the button bar in the kit. You DO NOT need the FO1 harness.

Hope this is clear.

Cheers,

#17 ·
BOOM! How's THAT for customer service...ADS replying right to your post!? :thumb:

Glad to hear that you'll be able to swap out your deck and get on with the install. I have a feeling you're going to love it! I know I do even without the MUS1 kit...I'm sure I'll love it even more when I trade up to that.

Those pics make me drool. It's so clean and OEM looking. I currently have the Metra touch screen kit and I do like it, but there's so much empty space that it just doesn't look right. I'm looking to sell that and go with the MUS1 kit. LOVE the looks!...and having the climate controls on the deck is a big plus.

Here's a clip of my current Metra setup just for reference...(Don't mind the crappy music in the background LOL)

Nav System Telemetry Gauges - YouTube

#20 ·
Morgan, do you have SYNC in your car?

#22 ·
Ah ok, well that's one less thing you have to worry about. I was going to offer up some advice for finding the SYNC wire during install but don't have to worry about that.

When you run the two wires to the OBD connector for the Telemetry stuff, DO NOT use those crappy vampire connectors. Please learn from my experience here. I had to contort myself underneath my dash 3 times because I tried to make those stupid things work. Do yourself a favor and splice into the wires directly. If you do use wire taps, the ONLY wire tapping connector I would recommend ,and I would have used myself if I could find them locally, is the POSI-TAP connectors. Those are the real deal and work flawlessly.

That's my .02 cents for the day :)

#24 ·
Ah ok, well that's one less thing you have to worry about. I was going to offer up some advice for finding the SYNC wire during install but don't have to worry about that. When you run the two wires to the OBD connector for the Telemetry stuff, DO NOT use those crappy vampire connectors. Please learn from my experience here. I had to contort myself underneath my dash 3 times because I tried to make those stupid things work. Do yourself a favor and splice into the wires directly. If you do use wire taps, the ONLY wire tapping connector I would recommend ,and I would have used myself if I could find them locally, is the POSI-TAP connectors. Those are the real deal and work flawlessly. That's my .02 cents for the day :)
Agree totally...I stripped back the 2 wires about 1/3 of an inch, soldered the two kit wires onto the OBD wires, wrapped with electrical tape and then used a zip tie on the tape to ensure it won't unwrap. This will ensure you have no loose connections now and in the long-term.

#23 · (Edited)
Antenna Adapter

Capn Morgan - If you want to retain your OEM radio antenna, you will also need an adapter from your factory plug to the Kenwood HU (I have the DNX890HD)...you can get an adapter at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts for around $10...I picked mine up at Autozone, part # AW-CR10...I don't remember who makes the adapter, but it will be easy to determine once you get there and look. I finished my install yesterday and am very please with it's operation. Here are a few pics.

Multimedia Technology Audio equipment Electronic device Car

Multimedia Vehicle Car Electronics Center console

Center console Vehicle Multimedia Car Vehicle audio

#31 ·
NOOOOOOO! Awe man of all the luck. Sorry to hear.

#32 ·
That is truly a bummer. I just ordered my setup today! Can't wait to get it.

Kenwood DNN770HD
Maestro RR
MUS1 Dash kit
Antenna adapter

I'm new here and I don't want to spam but I found a great deal and they have been super quick to respond to emails.

I have no financial stake in this but if it against the rules (didn't seem to be) I apologize, just wanted to pass on what I thought was great!

DNN990HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $2200 / Now $1799.99 / $500 COUPON for SVT forum members only coupon code SOTS500 – makes final price for all three pieces $1299.99

Kenwood DNN990HD Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi ADSKITMUS1 ADS Maestro Mustang Ford Kit and ADSMRR Steering Wheel Control Adapter

DNN770HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1999 / Now $1599.99 / $500 COUPON code SOTS500 – makes the price for all three pieces 1099.99

Kenwood eXcelon DNN770HD In-Dash 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ GPS Navigation, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Ready with the iDatalink ADS-KIT-MUS01 Factory Integration Fit Kit with iDatalink ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter

DNX890HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1800 / Now $1499.99 / $400 COUPON code SOTS400 – makes the price for all three pieces $1099.99

Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD Navigation receiver 6.1" WVGA double-DIN Navigation/DVD Receiver, Built-in Bluetooth Automatic BT pairing for iPhone with ADSKITMUS1 and ADSMRR Maestro Steering Wheel Adapter and Mustang Kit

DNX690HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1500 / Now $1250.99 / $250 COUPON code SOTS250 --- makes the price for all three pieces $1000.99

Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD Navigation receiver 13C 6.1" WVGA double-DIN Navigation/DVD Receiver, Built-in Bluetooth Automatic BT pairing for iPhone ADS Maestro ADSMRR and ADSKITMUS01 Mustang Kit

The deals are good until 12/31/13 and here is an email. joy@soundoftristate.com

#36 ·
My MUS1/Maestro RR/Kenwood DNN770HD install

Here is a link to my install album.

I installed a Kenwood DNN770HD head unit with the Maestro RR and MUS1 Dashkit. Thanks to the instructions it was quite straight forward and I encountered no real issues.

Programming the Maestro RR over USB is easy but you do need a windows computer. I used a VM on my Mac and it worked fine.

I followed the wiring instructions and soldered all connections. Hardest part was deciding on locations for the GPS bug and microphone. I didn't want them to stand out after going through the expense and trouble of a sleek system. I put the GPS bug up near the A pillar on the driver side. I put the mic on the steering column on the right. Kinda near the key. I'm happy with both if you don't go looking for them you won't notice.

It was not immediately obvious to me where on the Kenwood to plug in the Maestro audio cable. Is this audio in or out? In the end I plugged it into the AV-OUT audio jack. If this is wrong I don't see any loss of function yet.

The pandora integration is amazing. The head unit shows the picture, stations, everything. The LCD display shows the song and time.

What a great setup!

Attachments

#37 ·
Here is a link to my install album. I installed a Kenwood DNN770HD head unit with the Maestro RR and MUS1 Dashkit. Thanks to the instructions it was quite straight forward and I encountered no real issues. Programming the Maestro RR over USB is easy but you do need a windows computer. I used a VM on my Mac and it worked fine. I followed the wiring instructions and soldered all connections. Hardest part was deciding on locations for the GPS bug and microphone. I didn't want them to stand out after going through the expense and trouble of a sleek system. I put the GPS bug up near the A pillar on the driver side. I put the mic on the steering column on the right. Kinda near the key. I'm happy with both if you don't go looking for them you won't notice. It was not immediately obvious to me where on the Kenwood to plug in the Maestro audio cable. Is this audio in or out? In the end I plugged it into the AV-OUT audio jack. If this is wrong I don't see any loss of function yet. The pandora integration is amazing. The head unit shows the picture, stations, everything. The LCD display shows the song and time. What a great setup!
Is the mic you installed required to operate the Kenwood HU or because you don't have Sync?

#39 · (Edited)
Hmm I'll bet that is what the audio wire from the Maestro RR is - the microphone. The instructions weren't very clear on that. I wonder even without sync if the microphone is in the car - and I can delete my mic I added. Or just delete that cable.

FYI I ordered all this through a company. I have no financial stake in this. But they gave me great service and a great discount.

The have some other deals to - I went with this one

DNN770HD
ADSMRR
ADSKITMUS01

= was $1999 / Now $1599.99 / $500 coupon code SOTS500 – makes the price for all three pieces 1099.99

Kenwood eXcelon DNN770HD In-Dash 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ GPS Navigation, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Ready with the iDatalink ADS-KIT-MUS01 Factory Integration Fit Kit with iDatalink ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter

Joy is very responsive to emails

#40 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Our 3.5mm input is for stereo audio input from our box to the radio. The microphone for Sync does not need to run through our module at all. So, if you have Sync, the factory mic will only work with Sync (not with the Kenwood radio) and need to install the Kenwood mic if you have one of the Kenwood radios with voice recognition and want to use both. If you don't have Sync, you will need to install the mic that came with the radio for sure.

Hope this is clear.

Hey guys. Got my new radio today. Ran my harness and plugged it in to see this...huge props to UPS for their excellent shipping! 2 more weeks now...cool.

What a freaking DOWNER!!! :banghead:

#41 ·
Thanks for posting! What audio comes from the Maestro RR to the radio? I don't have that part hooked up correctly but I'm not sure what I'm missing?

The only other option I have on the Kenwood is a secondary aux-in. I use the other aux-in for my iPhone and it works great!

#43 ·
See above for your answer. You do have an 3.5mm aux jack from the factory right? If yes, one cool thing you can do since you don't have sync, is connect the RCAs in the Mustang T-Harness that are labeled AUX IN, to an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor and plug it into the other aux input of your Kenwood. Then whenever you plug into the OEM jack, you can hear it by changing your radio to the correct AVIN source.

Best,

#45 ·
For what it's worth for future users that might read this thread prior to install. I wanted to share my location for the GPS puck. Just behind the glove box there is some metal framework that sits just below the top of the dash. I simply attached the GPS puck right to the frame rail using the double sided tape that is provided and also zip tied it just for good measure. There is no interference as the only thing above it is the top of the dash (plastic/vinyl). I get full signal and no issues with navigation...and best of all you don't see the puck at all! Not to mention routing the wire takes 2 minutes because it's mostly open behind the HU and glove box.

Hope that helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.