Am I the only one with bass? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Am I the only one with bass?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387034498.061266.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	141536 So I installed 2 competition 12" subs in my car a couple months ago. There's an 1800w mono block kenwood amp powering them and they shake everything. When I get out of my car I can visually see there shaking my door panel and rear window. They also shake my dome lights out of socket sometimes. Just wondering if anyone else has some serious bass like this. Cause I have a lot of problems with little stuff rattling all over my car. lol. Post up some pics of ur systems!
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lol, if you have stuff falling off of your car and rattling it to hell, it doesn't make your car any cooler. Honestly, pull that junk out, sell it, and listen to your car growl. I dont understand people that use up their whole entire trunk for this in an already small car.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have no need for the use of my trunk so them being in there doesn't inconvenience me at all. I only turn it up once in a while and bass is a must have in my cars. I might downsize in the future tho. I was just looking around if anyone else had subs in there mustangs cause not many people I know do have them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
So I installed 2 competition 12" subs in my car a couple months ago. There's an 1800w mono block kenwood amp powering them and they shake everything. When I get out of my car I can visually see there shaking my door panel and rear window. They also shake my dome lights out of socket sometimes. Just wondering if anyone else has some serious bass like this. Cause I have a lot of problems with little stuff rattling all over my car. lol. Post up some pics of ur systems!
I got a couple tens in slotted boxes and a 1400 watt amp. 12's wouldn't fit lol, but I'm glad I went with tens. Sounds better I think, not too overpowering with bass.
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it took me about 30 mins just to get the box into my trunk. I had to take it all apart. 12s aren't too bad cause I turn them down. U don't have any problems with rattling stuff in ur car when u blast them?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i agree. Bass is a must in my opinion too. i do have one kicker comp 12 in a sealed box, hits good when i listen to music. I rarely blast it though. I like listening to my car. I didn't mean to bash you, It just reminds me of highschool kids when people use their whole trunk haha, but whatever floats your boat man!
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
Yea it took me about 30 mins just to get the box into my trunk. I had to take it all apart. 12s aren't too bad cause I turn them down. U don't have any problems with rattling stuff in ur car when u blast them?
Well I got a 02 and its got the wayy too noisy plastic interior but its not too bad. I haven't had anything fall off or rattle too bad. It doesn't have crazy bass though
Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
i agree. Bass is a must in my opinion too. i do have one kicker comp 12 in a sealed box, hits good when i listen to music. I rarely blast it though. I like listening to my car. I didn't mean to bash you, It just reminds me of highschool kids when people use their whole trunk haha, but whatever floats your boat man!
Only reason I used my whole trunk is cuz I like bass snd I'm not gonns haul anything in my car besides myself lol. Well myself my tool kit jumper cables and all cleanin supplies and a couple rags, I don't like a dirty car lol
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

This is a tech section. Please take a minute to browse the forum as a whole before you start a thread. Moved to "Audio and Video"
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have two 10" in small truck speaker box with a boss 1500w amp on my 14' gt. The speakers are 15 yrs old but they sound amazing. No rattle on my car...base with just the tech package.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Sad Panda
Staff

I want some bass. nothing major. a ten or a twelve.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I see nothing wrong with it if that what you are into. It just needs to be done properly,IMO. (No rattle snake trunks)
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I see nothing wrong with it if that what you are into. It just needs to be done properly,IMO. (No rattle snake trunks)
+1
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Yea I like a little bass in mine. I never blast it though

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2206193926.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	141557
LivelyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've got a 10" in a custom box, with amps to run both the sub and the door speakers. Saved them out of my old SRT4 that died in a wreck prior to getting the `13. Not sure how to go about hooking it up with the stock head unit, so they just sit in storage for the time being. Replacing the stock head unit isnt an option - I want all of my controls to work the same as they do right now.

Not to jack your thread, OP, but do you know if they make an adapter or something for the non-nav headunit in the 11-13's?
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
My car came with a bazooka 10" in it and a RF Punch 75HD. I'm going to take that Punch and hook it up to a set of 4 Pioneer Premier 2 ways and then run the bazooka off a spare Kicker 400:1 mono amp I have lying around. Should sound pretty good.

I did have two 12s in my Cobra back in the day powered by the same amp. They were the last run of good Sony Xplod subs before Wal-Mart bought them and ruined them.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Rynarock If ur talking about what I think you are, best but sells a piece u have to wire in to one of your speakers to get the digital audio (red and white cords) that u have to plug into the amp.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have the shaker 1000, and it makes pretty good bass. I had two 10s in my lightning and sold them to reduce weight. Those hit hard. I got out of wanting bass as I got older though. Used to be a must have when I was in high school early college
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm thinking about putting a 15" in my 13. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it in a newer mustang?
Capn__Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn__Morgan View Post
I'm thinking about putting a 15" in my 13. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it in a newer mustang?
IMO no point unless you are competing in decibel offs or whatever they are called. I've been there and done that with subs in the stang. A single high quality 10" like a JL W7 is going to sound VERY good and you don't need anymore than that.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO no point unless you are competing in decibel offs or whatever they are called. I've been there and done that with subs in the stang. A single high quality 10" like a JL W7 is going to sound VERY good and you don't need anymore than that.

Thanks for the input. Open to options and opinions haha.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote:

Also I'm running Alpine Type Rs the whole way through.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Headunit? Those Alpines are bypassed from the factory system and running on a good amp right?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Headunit? Those Alpines are bypassed from the factory system and running on a good amp right?

Swapped out everything stock. So it's running on a Kenwood DNX890. Which I think is fine and it sounds fantastic. Just always in the business of rounding out everything.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I was running 12" kickers in my f150. But haven't installed them on my mustang because I haven't gotten bored of the exhaust sound
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the newer factory stuff sounds ok but when you get a legit good system its like... whoa... I'd look into a good mono amp for a good 10" sub but its obviously whatever you want as far as sound. I just know from experience my buddy's single JL 10 sounded a billion times better than everyone else running mid level 12s and even 15s. Those things move some serious air.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
I was running 12" kickers in my f150. But haven't installed them on my mustang because I haven't gotten bored of the exhaust sound
Stereos have this thing called an on/off button when you want to hear your pipes lol.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the newer factory stuff sounds ok but when you get a legit good system its like... whoa... I'd look into a good mono amp for a good 10" sub but its obviously whatever you want as far as sound. I just know from experience my buddy's single JL 10 sounded a billion times better than everyone else running mid level 12s and even 15s. Those things move some serious air.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Stereos have this thing called an on/off button when you want to hear your pipes lol.

Noted! I was definitely thinking mono amp. A Kenwood most likely because I think they give a cleaner sound overall. IMO. I wish there was a way to actually put a 10, 12, and 15 in my car so I could hear how it sounds before deciding. Oh well hahah. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

True, but why have them installed if I'm not going to use them? Right now I'm completely stock with speakers and only listen at 4 bars volume lol.
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Noted! I was definitely thinking mono amp. A Kenwood most likely because I think they give a cleaner sound overall. IMO. I wish there was a way to actually put a 10, 12, and 15 in my car so I could hear how it sounds before deciding. Oh well hahah. Thanks!
Kinda funny I own a couple tens 12s and one 15 lol. Imo tens sound the best by far, 12 and 15s thump a lot and don't really sound good at all when your actually trying to listen to the music. But 10's were plenty for me, wish I could upload a video but its nothin like being in the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Kinda funny I own a couple tens 12s and one 15 lol. Imo tens sound the best by far, 12 and 15s thump a lot and don't really sound good at all when your actually trying to listen to the music. But 10's were plenty for me, wish I could upload a video but its nothin like being in the car.

So do the 10s still have a good bass sound to them? Like. Do they carry well? I have components up front and they handle most of the mids and treble. What I'm really after is that super low end and the actually vibration from the bass.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So do the 10s still have a good bass sound to them? Like. Do they carry well? I have components up front and they handle most of the mids and treble. What I'm really after is that super low end and the actually vibration from the bass.
I've got two tens in slotted boxes and it does quite a bit of vibrating. I've shaked things off the wall in my house pulling in the driveway and I've never had it turned all the way up. You'll get a good massage with tens guaranteed. I might record a video in my car tomorrow and post the link
Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
I've got two tens in slotted boxes and it does quite a bit of vibrating. I've shaked things off the wall in my house pulling in the driveway and I've never had it turned all the way up. You'll get a good massage with tens guaranteed. I might record a video in my car tomorrow and post the link

That would be nice. I'd be interested to hear the difference in frequency from 2 10" and a single 15". The 15" should be lower. But I'd to actually hear it
Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
My sub

My amp

Kicker 1000w pushing a 600w MTX thunder in a ****ty pre made enclosure. My plan was to shred this sub and get a new more serious one but this thing won't die!
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Amp I discovered in my trunk after buying the car:

I thought it was a junk amp but after a little research, turns out is one of the old school "big boys" from back in the early 90s. Need to see if it still works tho.

Going to power these if it works, if not I'll probably just run off the Pioneer headunit with the amp bypassed.

The 10" Bazooka that also came with the car is going to be powered by this guy:

Lol, everything I have here is free. Well free as in it either came with the car or I bought it years ago. That Kicker amp is from 2003 as well as the HU. I even still have the 0 gauge wire hookup from my 95 that's already cut to length with a big inline fuse and everything. Only thing I don't have are the 12" subs I gave to my brother's friend but I really don't want some big heavy 12" subs in this thing. The bazooka is nice, has mounting straps and doesn't take up much space and should fill out the bass nicely for what I'm doing.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

One 12" or 10" is all you need. I just happen to have two 10" mtx blue thunders sitting in my garage for 10 years.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That would be nice. I'd be interested to hear the difference in frequency from 2 10" and a single 15". The 15" should be lower. But I'd to actually hear it
I learned you can't record bass lol. Sounds like crap when recorded, you just need to find somebody with some subs and listen to them! Maybe go to an audio store they might have some hooked up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video