stock sound system vs. shaker audio system (2014 Mustang) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
stock sound system vs. shaker audio system (2014 Mustang)

I meant to say base sound system, not stock (my mistake)

I plan on ordering a new mustang soon. Is there a big difference in the sound quality of the base sound system vs. shaker audio system. Is it worth the upgrade? I would rather go with the base sound system because I really don't want to lose trunk space to the subwoofer. As long as the base system sounds pretty good I would be happy with it.

I just took a Mustang for a test drive a few days ago but I never thought to turn on the radio, hahahah
Charlesph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesph55 View Post
I meant to say base sound system, not stock (my mistake)

I plan on ordering a new mustang soon. Is there a big difference in the sound quality of the base sound system vs. shaker audio system. Is it worth the upgrade? I would rather go with the base sound system because I really don't want to lose trunk space to the subwoofer. As long as the base system sounds pretty good I would be happy with it.

I just took a Mustang for a test drive a few days ago but I never thought to turn on the radio, hahahah
The shaker came with mine by default, but sounded terrible. I did not have any interest in the shaker pro as you can do much better by yourself. I couldn't begin to imagine how bad the base system sounds. I literally replaced every speaker and amp in the car and added a sub to get the sound I was looking for.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They are both crap, but we found a simple way to make the base system sound awesome with tons of bass and a great sound. If you were to buy everything brand new, you are looking at $450 to have the base system where it can have so much base you would hear it from blocks away.
Replace the 2 door and 2 deck 5x7(6x8) speakers (Alpine or Kicker coaxles)
Add a Kicker powered subwoofer box in the front of the trunk. We found the Kicker 11PHD12 on craigslist for 1/3 of what it retails for and it is SUPER easy to install and the sound/bass is more than you would ever need.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would definitely recommend you go back to the dealer in sit in two different Mustangs with each choice. I thought they both were crappy (as are most car systems) but the base was adequate for me. I've considering upgrading the speakers and possibly getting a powered sub at some point but honestly for as little as I drive it, I probably won't bother.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
SpaceF, After doing what we did, I think the single powered sub would be PLENTY and the deck lid speakers are more trouble than worth to change IMHO. The videos on YouTube remove everything, but we found you can just undo the panels just enough to get under the deck lid fabric. Saves a lot of time and trouble. If you just change the fronts and add a powered sub the sound blows away the OEM stuff.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Region: Washington
Shaker Pro System = Meh

I have a 2013 Mustang that came with the Shaker 500 system (500 Watts... super creative I know). Compared to the stock system, it's BETTER, however there are some caveats to that conclusion that I'd be remiss to pass along.

The Shaker 500 and Shaker Pro (1000) systems are built for power, not precision. The Shaker 500 utilizes a 6 speaker system: 2x tweeters, 2x rear deck mid range woofers, and 2x 8" "sub" woofers in the door. Total power output is 500 watts for this system. Moving to the Pro adds the subwoofers in the trunk of the Mustang and I believe replaces the door subs with extra mid woofers, though I can't be certain as it's been a long time since I've looked at that system in person.

There is, for the most part, plenty of bass in the Shaker systems. You get a lot of thump and some sustain on bass hits. If that's all you care about, then you'll be happy enough. However, the whole precision issue is going to be a turn-off for an audiophile, because the mid and high ranges are lacking. Your highest high frequencies are very muddy and the mids are okay at-best. This will lead to lackluster listening experiences when you're listening to anything that's not bass-heavy at low, medium and high volumes.

The problem with the stock system is you'll have to go buy an amp and all-new speakers, and I'm not certain but I thought the stock system is only 4 speakers (depending on the year perhaps). This will severely limit what you can do for audio and will force you to consider a subwoofer unless you get very high performance rear deck speakers that can really thump (we're talking probably $150-$200+ for the rear deck speakers alone and an amp capable of powering them properly, or it's all for nothing).

My suggestion to anyone considering the Shaker audio system: get it. It's not a good system, but it's loud and has amplification built into the system already. You can replace your two door speakers and your two rear-deck speakers and get much better mid and high output. The Shaker subs are qualified to handle some decent workload but they aren't as full as a single 10" or 12" subwoofer sitting in your trunk - that's the BEST way to go.

Also, pummeling the 8" subs will probably lead to door rattle, which will require some kind of sponge tape or another DIY fix to overcome. If you don't, listening to this system at even 40% volume can become frustrating as you'll hear the rattles when the door subs are getting their work in. If you walk the bass back, you can reduce the rattle, but you'll be forced to really cut back and then you're left with a really weak experience since the Shaker system is built to be played loud, and the Shaker speakers are not high performers. HOWEVER, Shaker speakers are low impedence, so you'll get the most volume output from them. Replacing them with higher ohm speakers will result in a lower volume output. That is probably fine as long as you don't go too high on ohms (I think Shaker uses a 2 ohm impedence).
Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The shaker 500 (which comes with the premium package and is not available on a base car) is a worthy upgrade over a base stereo. Mostly because it comes with the premium package and a lot of other nice options.
The shaker 1000 (the upgrade option that adds subwoofers for $1k) is absolutely not worth it. Buy a sub and line level amp for like $300-400 instead. You could revamp the entire sound system with very nice aftermarket components for less than the shaker 1000 upgrade.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Tags
2014 mustang