HELP!! My factory audio system sucks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #1

HELP!! My factory audio system sucks

I just got my mustang, v6 convertible, about 5 months ago. The sound system is horrible especially with my top down. I don't have the Shaker but from what I heard, I wish I did. Anyway, I went to an audio place that does sound systems and was told it would cost about $3500 because I want to keep my factory radio. The package Is suppose to come with 2 pairs of speakers, converter, amp, and a sub plus the installation. My problem is..that's expensive. I want to improve the sound but that is crazy plus the hubby is not going for it. Someone please help with alternative ideas. There has to be another option.
Silverbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's ridiculous! I'd definitely check around. Maybe buy what you want and just have it installed.
BostonSoxFan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet2 View Post
I just got my mustang, v6 convertible, about 5 months ago. The sound system is horrible especially with my top down. I don't have the Shaker but from what I heard, I wish I did. Anyway, I went to an audio place that does sound systems and was told it would cost about $3500 because I want to keep my factory radio. The package Is suppose to come with 2 pairs of speakers, converter, amp, and a sub plus the installation. My problem is..that's expensive. I want to improve the sound but that is crazy plus the hubby is not going for it. Someone please help with alternative ideas. There has to be another option.
IPOD. Unfortunately you just learned a valuable but expensive lesson. Check out everything BEFORE signing on the dotted line.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonSoxFan3 View Post
That's ridiculous! I'd definitely check around. Maybe buy what you want and just have it installed.

I'm gong to try that option. I'm not sure what to choose and what will work with a factory radio.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
IPOD. Unfortunately you just learned a valuable but expensive lesson. Check out everything BEFORE signing on the dotted line.

No I haven't done anything yet. That's just what they quoted me.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check around. That price is out of this world. I've been looking into upgrading my audio too and haven't had any quotes over $500
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Really? I'm not speaking to the right folks. These quotes I'm getting is ridiculous. Maybe it's due to me being a woman, I don't know.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just for reference sake, I purchased 2 sets of infinity 6x8s, 2 kicker 8 inch door subs, an alpine type r 10 and 2 amps all for roughly $700. Various wiring kits and whatnot were probably another $125. Install at a shop in my area was another $400. Buy your own components and bring them somewhere. Don't go to Best Buy for the install. It's crazy expensive.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
Just for reference sake, I purchased 2 sets of infinity 6x8s, 2 kicker 8 inch door subs, an alpine type r 10 and 2 amps all for roughly $700. Various wiring kits and whatnot were probably another $125. Install at a shop in my area was another $400. Buy your own components and bring them somewhere. Don't go to Best Buy for the install. It's crazy expensive.

Best Buy isn't that expensive for labor. Parts on the other hand they have a hell of a mark up on. Plus they have life time warranty on installs. A bunch of local car audio shops around me only offer 2 years.

In this situation I would recommend replacing the radio. You'll get the best bang for your buck with that. Features like aux and USB input and the option of Bluetooth for streaming music and hands free calling. A aftermarket radio will also have a higher power output than the factory radio. That swap could be done for around $250-350 or more depending on how much you want to spend on a radio.

Another option if you don't want to get a new radio but want to hear your music with the top down would be to get an Alpine power pack. It's a small inline amplifier that is meant to be installed behind the factory radio. We put them on jeeps and convertibles all the time at the shop I work at so people can hear there tunes with the top down.

If you were looking to go all out swap every speaker swap the deck add a amp and sub you should plan on spending $1500-$3000 depending on what equipment you buy.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #9

Thank you Tec, if I switch out the radio, would I still be able to use the function of my steering wheel? I can currently adjust the volume and Chang from Cd, aux,..etc
Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
With this part yes you can keep them.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...%5BIgnore%5D=1

All most all of the major brands radios are compatible with that unit. Some of the incredibly cheap radios don't support them.
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #11

Ok..thanks for the info
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
SilverBullet2, there IS a simple way to get your stereo to sound great and done pretty simply.
Replace the 5x7/6x8 door speakers with some decent Coaxle speakers - Kicker DS68 5x7/6x8 speakers <$75
Add a Kicker Bass Station amp/Sub combo to the trunk. Simply tap in the speaker inputs to the speaker feeds going to your rear deck speakers.(the deck speakers and wires are exposed right where you will put the Bass Station in your trunk) Run the power line to the battery and the blue "switch on" wire to the blue wire on your antenna that is also in the trunk. (this turns the amp on when you switch your unit on)
We did a Kicker Bass Station 11PHD12 ($299) with dual 12" subs that is over kill. It has so much punch that it will rattle your car loose.
The Kicker 11PH12 is plenty and is only $200.
Under $300 and is EASILY installed by someone with just a little install experience. It should not be too expensive if you cant do it yourself and don't let someone tell you it is. We replaced our deck speakers which was way more trouble than worth.
If you just do the front doors and simply add the Bass Station to your trunk, I promise you will be amazed. Don't have to mess with your stock radio, your steering wheel controls still work and your aux plug as well. You can keep the stock look and for a cheap price, even with your top down, everyone will hear you coming from blocks away. The Bass station fits so far in the front of the trunk, it takes up no room that was real important. My son has a high dollar system in his '65 mustang and this cheap method we did to his '13 and they absolutely sound comparable.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That's a rip off, I did the same thing but installed it myself and it costed $250
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
SilverBullet2, there IS a simple way to get your stereo to sound great and done pretty simply.
Replace the 5x7/6x8 door speakers with some decent Coaxle speakers - Kicker DS68 5x7/6x8 speakers <$75
Add a Kicker Bass Station amp/Sub combo to the trunk. Simply tap in the speaker inputs to the speaker feeds going to your rear deck speakers.(the deck speakers and wires are exposed right where you will put the Bass Station in your trunk) Run the power line to the battery and the blue "switch on" wire to the blue wire on your antenna that is also in the trunk. (this turns the amp on when you switch your unit on)
We did a Kicker Bass Station 11PHD12 ($299) with dual 12" subs that is over kill. It has so much punch that it will rattle your car loose.
The Kicker 11PH12 is plenty and is only $200.
Under $300 and is EASILY installed by someone with just a little install experience. It should not be too expensive if you cant do it yourself and don't let someone tell you it is. We replaced our deck speakers which was way more trouble than worth.
If you just do the front doors and simply add the Bass Station to your trunk, I promise you will be amazed. Don't have to mess with your stock radio, your steering wheel controls still work and your aux plug as well. You can keep the stock look and for a cheap price, even with your top down, everyone will hear you coming from blocks away. The Bass station fits so far in the front of the trunk, it takes up no room that was real important. My son has a high dollar system in his '65 mustang and this cheap method we did to his '13 and they absolutely sound comparable.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Deerslayer...thanks...I'm definitely gonna check on that. That seem too easy..I'm pretty sure I can find someone to do that for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video