SYNC Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
SYNC Problems

First off is like to apologize if this is in the wrong place. Didn't know where else this one should go.

A few days ago I tried to make a phone call using sync voice control. But when I tell sync to "Call _____" it does nothing. The screen sits on "Listening..."

I haven't successfully made a call since. It's weird because I can still say things like "USB" or "Bluetooth Audio" and it hears me and performs the command. It's only calls.

So far I have tried to re-download my phone book thinking maybe my contacts were deleted or lost. No joy. Then I performed a master reset and synced my phone to my car again from scratch. Neither fixed the problem. It's frustrating because I know that the car's microphone can hear my voice because it is following other commands I give it but if I try to make a call, sync ignores me.

Ideas?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I had a similar problem with my Mariner - only there was just one contact that it wouldn't recognize; my wife! I finally had to change her name and then it would recognize her information and place the call.

Like you it would recognize any other command, and it would recognize other contacts. I found in the Mariner I have to say "phone" first but in my Mustang or my wife's Lincoln I just have to say "call ..."
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I had a similar problem with my Mariner - only there was just one contact that it wouldn't recognize; my wife! I finally had to change her name and then it would recognize her information and place the call.

Like you it would recognize any other command, and it would recognize other contacts. I found in the Mariner I have to say "phone" first but in my Mustang or my wife's Lincoln I just have to say "call ..."

Lol that's actually kinda funny. It isn't a specific contact here, I can't call anyone at all.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Lol that's actually kinda funny. It isn't a specific contact here, I can't call anyone at all.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

SYNC Problems

Double post
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like the problem might be with the phone? Do you have to somehow enable voice dialing on the phone?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Sounds like the problem might be with the phone? Do you have to somehow enable voice dialing on the phone?

Idk. I'll play around with the phone but I haven't done anything to my phone settings recently. It seems to be a sync issue tho. I can receive calls over sync, it's solely call commands that it trips over.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I've tried just about everything in the book. Guess I'll be taking her to Ford. 😡
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE

I talked to a SYNC tech on the phone just now. My car is at the dealership with her. She said that issues like this are fairly common and SYNC "definitely has a lot of issues that Ford is still ironing out." lol Really? Anyways, she said that they are going to try to delete the SYNC software from my Mustang completely and reinstall it fresh. Hopefully that will do the trick. It's also in there for the engine squealing for those of you who saw my other thread so hopefully I'll have my baby back by the weekend.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've got a different Sync issue - when starting the car, I have to manually switch to Bluetooth Audio through the Media Menu to get it to play any music from my phone. Is there any way to set it to Bluetooth default, or at least remember what you were last listening to?
binly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by binly View Post
I've got a different Sync issue - when starting the car, I have to manually switch to Bluetooth Audio through the Media Menu to get it to play any music from my phone. Is there any way to set it to Bluetooth default, or at least remember what you were last listening to?

Not that I know of. You have to manually start Bluetooth audio every time you start the car, but you should be able to do it with voice control, which makes it a lot less inconvenient.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Not that I know of. You have to manually start Bluetooth audio every time you start the car, but you should be able to do it with voice control, which makes it a lot less inconvenient.
Whenever I try to use a voice command, it takes 4-5 times before it finally recognizes what I'm saying. Where's the mic for Sync in the vehicle? Seems like it would be by the head lights, but I don't want to be screaming into something that's not even the mic
binly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think the mic is up inside the overhead console that houses the map lights.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I think the mic is up inside the overhead console that houses the map lights.

-Jeff-
STOC 025

Yep I went looking for it and it looks like the mic is actually inside cylinder #6. Might be #8 in the GT but I can't confirm that.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ford finally gave me my car back and SYNC is working again. Apparently the issue I was having is nothing new. They knew exactly what to do; uninstall and reinstall SYNC. Works like a charm again now, but I worry that it'll just F up again.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If anyone having issues listening to music from their phone via bluetooth , just don't sign into Ford destinations

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Sync is a marvel, and a headache. After over a year of trying things, I found it to be a typical Microsoft product. Voice recognition is in its early stages, but can be very unstable. What really gets me is when it repeats a name or place and mangles the pronunciation. On mine, plant is always pronounced as plan, and other things have no relationship to the actual word.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #18

Region: Texas
whenever I use sync, i just end up cussing at it..........lol
rcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I think the mic is on the bottom of the rear view mirror.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think mine didn't come with a mic, or doesn't recognize my Miami accent lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video