13-14 Shaker Door Speaker Upgrade - Bracket Modification - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
13-14 Shaker Door Speaker Upgrade - Bracket Modification

I have a 2014 with the Shaker 500 and decided to upgrade the (4) 5x7 speakers to improve my system. I ordered some Pioneer 4-Ways and read the how to videos on door panel removal, and rear deck access (kind of a headache).

Come to find out, the front speakers (component and tweeter) are molded into the factory 5x7 bracket which is necessary to mount any aftermarket speaker. I discovered that this is the case for 13-14 Shaker systems. I did not have the time to place an order for the standard brackets, so I got creative and decided to mod the existing speakers (and attached brackets).

I would advise anyone with the time to order the correct brackets, but if you are in a pinch, and have a couple hours with the right tools, it really is not that bad. The Pioneer speaker fit perfectly and there were no clearance issues. There are a couple photos below, and i have more photos of each step. Let me know if this helps, and if you may want more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0382.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	148635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0385.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	148636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	678.4 KB
ID:	148637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0396.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	148638  

JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
Good member here. Only his second post and it's a helpful one.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, the whole time I was thinking, "Man I wish I would have known this already"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. If I'm unsure, I always go online and surely someone has the answer.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thanks for the info, JRock! How do the new speakers sound compared to the old ones? Did you install a new amp or are you running off stock amp?
Rusl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be replacing mine soon. I'm not a huge car audio enthusiast but I do agree that the stock speakers aren't all that great.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusl13 View Post
Thanks for the info, JRock! How do the new speakers sound compared to the old ones? Did you install a new amp or are you running off stock amp?
The new speakers sound much more clear than the stock ones. I am running the stock amp. The 5x7's didn't do much in terms of bass, so while I had the car ripped apart, I ran an amp install kit. I tapped into the stock harness near the amp in the kickpanel. Once I get an sub/amp/enclosure picked out, the sound should be complete.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Cool. I look forward to hearing more as you complete the work...
Rusl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What was the impedance on the stock ones? Did you keep the stock head unit? Have you noticed a dramatic improvement in mid range response at all levels? I worry about doing this with a stock head unit because of how awful after market products usually fair with a stock head unit. I've always changed out the head units in my car, but I have the nav unit in my mustang and it would seem like a big waste to get rid of it. Also, I don't want a big sub woofer in my trunk like I used to, so I just deal with this system as it's alright.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
What was the impedance on the stock ones? Did you keep the stock head unit? Have you noticed a dramatic improvement in mid range response at all levels? I worry about doing this with a stock head unit because of how awful after market products usually fair with a stock head unit. I've always changed out the head units in my car, but I have the nav unit in my mustang and it would seem like a big waste to get rid of it. Also, I don't want a big sub woofer in my trunk like I used to, so I just deal with this system as it's alright.
Not sure what the impedance on them was, they were not labeled with any relevant information. I would definitely say the Mid and High notes sound noticeable better. The stock shaker seemed muffled at just about all volumes, now the deep bass is the only sound that is not defined.

The 8" door woofers fail to be good mid's or low's. I am actually concerned that once I add my aftermarket sub and amp, that the door woofers will deteriorate the quality of the entire bass. We shall see.

I understand an aftermarket head unit would provide better sound right off the bat, but I am not sold yet on the aftermarket install kit (I think it makes the interior look cheap). Also, I enjoy the integration Sync integration. I understand there are some options where that can be kept, but it is not worth it to me right now.

I think that the perfect balance would be to aftermarket amp the entire system with all new speakers. That too, I was not quite prepared to do, but is an option in the future. I am pretty satisfied right now though.

The Pioneer 4-ways I used are:
Pioneer TS-A6885R 5"x7"/6"x8" 4-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video