Installing JL Audio 5X7's in rear deck of 2013 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Installing JL Audio 5X7's in rear deck of 2013 GT

I am in the process of replacing the front and rear speakers in my 2013 Mustang with JL C2-570X speakers. I just test fit the rears and quickly discovered that they were smaller than the factory holes in the deck. I then measured the stock rear speakers and discovered that they're actually 6X8's. I have been searching online to see if I can find a pair of 6X8 to 5X7 speaker adapters and can't find any. It looks like I am going to have to have some adapter plates fabricated out of MDF board in order to seal the outer perimeter of the 5X7 speakers. What is everyone else doing to get around this issue when installing 5X7's in the rear deck on their 2011-2014 Mustang?
NoSlo5oH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Damn thats weird. The 5x7/6x8 are usually interchangeable as far as mounting points. Good luck with the mdf mounts. Might be easier to just tap new holes in the metal.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwevert View Post
Damn thats weird. The 5x7/6x8 are usually interchangeable as far as mounting points. Good luck with the mdf mounts. Might be easier to just tap new holes in the metal.
Yeah, I went to three shops (one cabinet shop, one glass company that deals in plexiglass and then finally a company that does a large volume of plexiglass template cutting). I dropped off a speaker template and they are going to laser cut some brackets for me with the screw holes in them. Should be ready on Thursday. I'll post pics when I get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to ANS
If there is a plastic template bolted/screwed into the stock speaker you must remove it and then install it on the new speaker.
ANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
If there is a plastic template bolted/screwed into the stock speaker you must remove it and then install it on the new speaker.
Thanks ANS, but trher's no template bolted to the stock rears. I picked up my plastic speaker spacers from the plastic shop yesterday and problem solved.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
ANS
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to ANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post
Thanks ANS, but trher's no template bolted to the stock rears. I picked up my plastic speaker spacers from the plastic shop yesterday and problem solved.
Perfect solution, if you haven't put the interior back I suggest getting some dynamate or something similar and laying it around the plastic speaker bezel to the metal of the rear deck. It will help stop any resonance from happening. If you ever have any car audio questions feel free to pm me.
ANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
SPEAKERS

I have the exact JL 5X7s in my Rear speakers. And yes they are interchangeable. I have the Shelby GT 6X8 which are Kicker speakers in my Front Speaker location. You can go with either size or Brand with the Speakers.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
Perfect solution, if you haven't put the interior back I suggest getting some dynamate or something similar and laying it around the plastic speaker bezel to the metal of the rear deck. It will help stop any resonance from happening. If you ever have any car audio questions feel free to pm me.
I sure will. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video