Speaker upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Speaker upgrade

So I just installed these in my 2013 base mustang.

2005-2013 Mustang Kicker CS Speaker Upgrade Kit CS68

Gotta say huge improvement. Sounds great even with the factory base head unit. Eventually I'm going to add an amp and sub, that is if I can ever figure out how to fit a sub in the cabin instead of the trunk. I need the trunk space unfortunately.

Anyway, installation was fairly simple but time consuming. The back speakers were a huge PITA to get to, but worth it. Only problem I encountered was I had to cut a metal tab off of each door speaker to get it to fit, fairly easy with a metal cutter or some heavy duty wire cutters. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Nice do you have a convertible or coupe I was wondering how hard it would be to install the rear speakers. And if you don't use the rear seats I would do the rear seat delete and put the subs there but I have a 5 year old who loves to ride with the top down lol
droptopstang201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopstang201 View Post
Nice do you have a convertible or coupe I was wondering how hard it would be to install the rear speakers. And if you don't use the rear seats I would do the rear seat delete and put the subs there but I have a 5 year old who loves to ride with the top down lol

I have a coupe, the rear speakers were just hard to get panels off, and I was scared to break things so I did it somewhat slow lol. That's a good idea about the rear seat delete, I don't use it very often so that's definitely something to think about, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm kinda late to the party but, I was looking at getting the same set of speakers. I listen to pretty base heavy music and was curious if these had decent bass? I'm to cheep to buy a sub/amp combo.
BillyBoB4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
These look similar to the ones that Shelby sells, but I think the tweeters are different. They are titanium in the Shelby-Kicker but I think silk in these?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoB4869 View Post
I'm kinda late to the party but, I was looking at getting the same set of speakers. I listen to pretty base heavy music and was curious if these had decent bass? I'm to cheep to buy a sub/amp combo.

They are awesome for metal or rock, however, they are definitely lacking in the hip hop department if you're looking for a big bass drop. You'll need subs or maybe better speakers. I don't know of many speakers that give a big bass sound though.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not a speaker guru but, what is the benefit of titanium to silk in speakers?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
These look similar to the ones that Shelby sells, but I think the tweeters are different. They are titanium in the Shelby-Kicker but I think silk in these?
I think you're right, but I don't remember.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
They are awesome for metal or rock, however, they are definitely lacking in the hip hop department if you're looking for a big bass drop. You'll need subs or maybe better speakers. I don't know of many speakers that give a big bass sound though.

I'm not looking for BIG boom, just more than the stock Shaker 500 speakers. I've had 2 12"s in my last mustang. Its WAY to much for me (I think im getting old...)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not looking for BIG boom, just more than the stock Shaker 500 speakers. I've had 2 12"s in my last mustang. Its WAY to much for me (I think im getting old...)

For me, there wasn't really enough boom in certain songs. I changed the HU and it helped the speakers wake up, but I still felt I needed a small sub. Whenever I cranked the bass, sounded like the speakers were in pain lol.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Does the audio sound more "full"? As in, the stock speakers sound as if they in fact stuck behind a plastic box, do these fill the entire car (without cranking it up)?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does the audio sound more "full"? As in, the stock speakers sound as if they in fact stuck behind a plastic box, do these fill the entire car (without cranking it up)?

Yes, absolutely. The sound is far more vibrant and fills the holes in your music that the stock speakers can't.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I'm not a speaker guru but, what is the benefit of titanium to silk in speakers?

I read a pretty good breakdown on the pros and cons of various tweeter materials, I think on crutchfield's site. If I remember correctly, titanium give a brighter treble sound and silk a little warmer, smoother more subtle treble sound.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your guys input. I think I've made of my mind on the speakers, just gotta run it by the boss (wife).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I read a pretty good breakdown on the pros and cons of various tweeter materials, I think on crutchfield's site. If I remember correctly, titanium give a brighter treble sound and silk a little warmer, smoother more subtle treble sound.

-Jeff-
STOC 025

Pretty much right on the money. The two most common types are titanium and silk for dome tweeters but there are also some other materials like textile and the lot. Titanium tweets are normally described as bright (some people call this harsh, mind you) while silk tweeters are definitely more mellow. Titanium tweeters can put out that perfect sheen on hi-hats, for instance, because they are so detailed. That being said, any installation shortcoming will be extremely apparent.

In terms of bass, you really ought to have a dedicated sub. A lot of people have a poor preconception that this means they have to be "swangin and bangin" all the way down the road, but it's simply not true. Even a very small, sealed 8" sub located in the cabin is typically sufficient to fill in the low end for people who do not care to listen to music very loudly. If you want a clean install, you can hang a shallow MDF box from the rear deck with the sub firing into one of the speaker openings (rear speakers are not good for coherent sound so I always remove them anyway).

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
I have a coupe, the rear speakers were just hard to get panels off, and I was scared to break things so I did it somewhat slow lol. That's a good idea about the rear seat delete, I don't use it very often so that's definitely something to think about, thanks!

2013/2014 Rear speakers are "easier" to replace than door speakers! Might be the same for prior years as well.

Couple YouTube videos show exactly how NOT to do this. Crutchfield includes quick instructions that actually are the correct method.

Fold down read seat back. No need to remove rear seat bottom. Remove 2 "visible" pins on each side, partially securing side panels in place. You will now have enough panel flex to pull the rear upper portion of side panels far enough away from side to see and remove the 4 "hidden" pins holding the shelf in place, one pin on each side of seat belt slit.. Work seat belt through slit. Lift shelf above side panel on each side, then pull out. 10 minute job the first time.

Originally replaced door speakers with Infinity Reference, then later picked up another pair for the rear. Unlike most posters, I did notice a nice improvement replacing the rears, well worth the small effort involved. Have since added Infinity Basslink powered sub and Kenwood DDX5901HD w/Idatalink-Maestro MUS1 and ADS-MRR.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
2013/2014 Rear speakers are "easier" to replace than door speakers! Might be the same for prior years as well.

Couple YouTube videos show exactly how NOT to do this. Crutchfield includes quick instructions that actually are the correct method.

Fold down read seat back. No need to remove rear seat bottom. Remove 2 "visible" pins on each side, partially securing side panels in place. You will now have enough panel flex to pull the rear upper portion of side panels far enough away from side to see and remove the 4 "hidden" pins holding the shelf in place, one pin on each side of seat belt slit.. Work seat belt through slit. Lift shelf above side panel on each side, then pull out. 10 minute job the first time.

Originally replaced door speakers with Infinity Reference, then later picked up another pair for the rear. Unlike most posters, I did notice a nice improvement replacing the rears, well worth the small effort involved.

Ah, I was unaware of that method, thanks for the advice!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thanks from me too. I am about to replace my rear speakers also. This will save me some time!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Sabs14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video