Audio pplz, any single DIN headunit recommendations? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Audio pplz, any single DIN headunit recommendations?

I'm kind of clueless when it comes to what is all new and cray cray in the audio world honestly. But I'm sick and damn tired of wires and not being able to do hands free calling in my 98 so its upgrade time.

I really like this unit

Sony MEX-N5000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I have an Android and the AppRemote apparently works pretty well. I also like how it has NFC so I can literally just tap my phone on the HU and it'll pair up without me doing anything else. What I want to be able to do is just plug my phone into the power outlet inside my armrest and throw it in there and be able to control most everything from the HU.

I know a MirrorLink double DIN would be ideal but that's too much $$$ when the rest of my audio stuff is canned from other vehicles I've had. The rest of my "system" consists of a stock amp bypass harness to an ooooolllllddd school Rockford Fosgate 75HD Punch speaker amp that came with the car to a set of 4 Pioneer 6x8 two ways that I had in my CSVT and I am also going to hook up a Bazooka 10" tube that I got for free with the car to an old Kicker 500:1 mono amp that I have from my Cobra as soon as I move my battery to the trunk... which I'll do when I get off my *** and drop the tank to install an Aviator pump... yeah...

Anyway any other single DIN suggestions? From everything I'm hearing about the Sony, it has all the features I want plus its relatively cheap plus the sound is pretty good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Ok the first thing you need to know is, NEVER USE SONY! Or JVC! TBH IMO there are only 2-3 brands of heads you want to use. Alpine, Kenwood (Excelon) and Pioneer (Premier). I have a Pioneer in the car now and am quite happy with it only because of the Bluetooth.

Alpine is gonna be the best radio out there. If you like clean music this is definitely your best choice. They have changed significantly in the past ten years but all in all they are leaders of the pack.

Kenwood is another great choice. I personally like all the usability of these units. I have a Kenwood Excelon waiting to be installed in my car. I have had it for years and it still kicks butt. The only thing I dont have on it is the Blue tooth capabilities.

Pioneer Premier is yet another great head. They have alot of the same features Kenwood does just with a little different way to get there.

Its really gonna boil down to, what do you use your system for? Me personally, I run a 4 channel amp for my mids and a sub amp for a small sub to give me that bottom end. After having the Bluetooth capabilities in this new head, I may have to buy another Kenwood with that capability.

I was in the industry (car audio) for quite some time before becoming an electrician. I may be slightly out of the loop but, rule of thumb was always no Sony/JVC or Clarion or,..........

If you have any questions I would be more than willing to help you out.
Colorado Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

Lol yea dude Im pretty sure that app for Sony only works for maybe 2 people. 0 5-star reviews haha.

Last I checked(Jan) the kenwood app didnt work for mine. A few weeks ago the usb cord didnt work for mine either. Of course iphone works fine.

Its probably best to google which ones work with android. Back in December, there were only 2 and I couldnt find them for sale.

PS: Android might work with aux cord. Never had a cord.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

If it's your DD and you use it a lot like I do I would just shell out the extra bit for a nice double din. I got the Pioneer AVH- X4500BT and love it.

As you can tell it is Bluetooth, if you have Bluetooth on it'll automatically connect once you start the car. It'll give you directions through the car as well. You can hear phone calls through the car (haven't figured out how to talk back through the car yet). Listen to videos (can't watch on the screen).

It's a great investment, one of my more favorite things I've done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408936999.226065.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	835.4 KB
ID:	164295

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Corey View Post
Ok the first thing you need to know is, NEVER USE SONY! Or JVC! TBH IMO there are only 2-3 brands of heads you want to use. Alpine, Kenwood (Excelon) and Pioneer (Premier). I have a Pioneer in the car now and am quite happy with it only because of the Bluetooth.

Alpine is gonna be the best radio out there. If you like clean music this is definitely your best choice. They have changed significantly in the past ten years but all in all they are leaders of the pack.

Kenwood is another great choice. I personally like all the usability of these units. I have a Kenwood Excelon waiting to be installed in my car. I have had it for years and it still kicks butt. The only thing I dont have on it is the Blue tooth capabilities.

Pioneer Premier is yet another great head. They have alot of the same features Kenwood does just with a little different way to get there.

Its really gonna boil down to, what do you use your system for? Me personally, I run a 4 channel amp for my mids and a sub amp for a small sub to give me that bottom end. After having the Bluetooth capabilities in this new head, I may have to buy another Kenwood with that capability.

I was in the industry (car audio) for quite some time before becoming an electrician. I may be slightly out of the loop but, rule of thumb was always no Sony/JVC or Clarion or,..........

If you have any questions I would be more than willing to help you out.
Please explain to me why no jvc. Kenwood is jvc to and my single din has has been good to me with blue tooth usb aux mp3 and pandora control. Color changing face with remote. Not trying to start a fight but ibwant to know your reason
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm kind of clueless when it comes to what is all new and cray cray in the audio world honestly. But I'm sick and damn tired of wires and not being able to do hands free calling in my 98 so its upgrade time.

I really like this unit

Sony MEX-N5000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I have an Android and the AppRemote apparently works pretty well. I also like how it has NFC so I can literally just tap my phone on the HU and it'll pair up without me doing anything else. What I want to be able to do is just plug my phone into the power outlet inside my armrest and throw it in there and be able to control most everything from the HU.

I know a MirrorLink double DIN would be ideal but that's too much $$$ when the rest of my audio stuff is canned from other vehicles I've had. The rest of my "system" consists of a stock amp bypass harness to an ooooolllllddd school Rockford Fosgate 75HD Punch speaker amp that came with the car to a set of 4 Pioneer 6x8 two ways that I had in my CSVT and I am also going to hook up a Bazooka 10" tube that I got for free with the car to an old Kicker 500:1 mono amp that I have from my Cobra as soon as I move my battery to the trunk... which I'll do when I get off my *** and drop the tank to install an Aviator pump... yeah...

Anyway any other single DIN suggestions? From everything I'm hearing about the Sony, it has all the features I want plus its relatively cheap plus the sound is pretty good.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...D-HDR71BT.html
I highly recommend this. Also buying from here you get the harness and dash kit.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Honest to god, if you are looking at a single DIN, there is only one choice.

"But Repth," you say, "how can there only be one choice?" Because there is a head unit on the market that has all of the processing power you could ever need, is 3way active capable, has, great time alignment, a good screen with no glare, looks top-shelf, handles Bluetooth, Pandora, USB, and will even tune itself with a mic temporarily held to your headrest for 5-10 minutes. And the best part? It's cheap.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS. There is no other sensible option unless you want to either spend the $1k+ for a P99 or are completely tone-deaf and don't care about good sound.

Note that Alpine has some solid offerings as well but for the same money they will either be quite dated or more expensive for the same features. Kenwood still probably has the best navigation but generally does not sound good unless you get something like an X993 (which is old and you will have to buy used).

Edit: I just read the gear that you'll be using. Disregard this entire post. Get anything that looks good to you because they will all sound like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol sorry I'm not bumping the highest end omgwtfbbq stuff. Maybe I'll just leave the Kenwood unit that I have in there alone and buy a 64GB USB stick.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's not that it's not the highest end stuff, it's just that it's flea market kind of stuff... If that kind of thing sounds good to you, more power to you. By no means would I recommend high-end gear to everyone. I, myself, do not get much more pleasure out of audiophile-grade equipment than I do out of solid "price-performance" gear.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty, don't fret bro. Kenwood is good stuff. However like you said, you wanted some hands free type unit. I would recommend any Kenwood excelon head unit that has Bluetooth. It's gonna sound great especially if you put a mid range amp on it. I use a PPI for mine.

Sent from my EVO using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Also, to think that you can get audiophile type of gear in a car is just stupid. Especially beings we drive fox body mustangs. Unless you have spent your life savings dynomatting your entire car it's pointless. Thd is all you really need to worry about. Which is why I don't recommend Sony, JVC, Panasonic, clarion, as well as most others out there.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Joser, you must be of the subwoofer only crowd. Kenwood acquired JVC a few years back, this does not make them the same. Even if the same engineers are working together they are not making the same product. Chrysler owned Mercedes for a while and you never seen a Mercedes challenger. Same concept. As to why they are crap, the materials they use and the technology pales in comparison to other, better manufacturers. As far as a price point they are all relatively comparable. As its been said though, with alpine, if you want the features you will pay for them where as Kenwood and Pioneer you can get the same features starting at a lower price point.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also, to think that you can get audiophile type of gear in a car is just stupid. Especially beings we drive fox body mustangs. Unless you have spent your life savings dynomatting your entire car it's pointless. Thd is all you really need to worry about. Which is why I don't recommend Sony, JVC, Panasonic, clarion, as well as most others out there.

I think you mean time alignment is all you need to worry about... Obviously things like THD or smooth frequency response are pertinent but that is nothing new. Time alignment in the car is key due to the large discrepancies in speaker distance from the listener. And you don't have to pay a whole lot for that. The 80PRS is all of $250. If you want cheaper, a used Kenwood X993 is great and does the job just fine. Even with some cheap speakers powered from the head unit, time alignment will do a wealth of good, and many newer units will do all the adjusting for you if that's not something you're interested in.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

This.

I've had these speakers in my car before, they are not base model 6x8s, they were $200 for the pair when I got them in 2009. The RF Punch amp is the 75HD, which (if you know a little car audio history) was THE amp to have back in the day. I need it to power four 6x8s, it will be more than enough. Bazooka tube is just fine for the bass level I want. I think that earth pounding/ear shattering bass is ****ing retarded. This will be more than enough for what I am doing.

I was looking at the $125 Alpine unit on Crutchfield and I've always had amazing luck with Pioneer. I have to do more research on the Kenwood that the PO has in the car. It's a newer unit with a front mount USB port as well as an audio input. I currently just run a cable from my phone into the front jack and stream Slacker Radio but I may just toss 50 gigs of music onto a stick and call it good unless I want to listen to ESPN radio or see what all the kids are listening to these days.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This.

I've had these speakers in my car before, they are not base model 6x8s, they were $200 for the pair when I got them in 2009. The RF Punch amp is the 75HD, which (if you know a little car audio history) was THE amp to have back in the day. I need it to power four 6x8s, it will be more than enough. Bazooka tube is just fine for the bass level I want. I think that earth pounding/ear shattering bass is ****ing retarded. This will be more than enough for what I am doing.

I was looking at the $125 Alpine unit on Crutchfield and I've always had amazing luck with Pioneer. I have to do more research on the Kenwood that the PO has in the car. It's a newer unit with a front mount USB port as well as an audio input. I currently just run a cable from my phone into the front jack and stream Slacker Radio but I may just toss 50 gigs of music onto a stick and call it good unless I want to listen to ESPN radio or see what all the kids are listening to these days.

If you are happy with it, more power to you!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
If you are happy with it, more power to you!

Lol, that's usually my line. I'll be happy enough. When I get a newer Coyote, I will make it a point to try to find one without the Shaker system and then start looking into a legit "system" for it.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah scotty I think if you grab an alpine that suits your needs like proper amount of preouts and features you are interested in you will be fine.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I wish I ordered my car so I could have skipped the Shaker. I actually sold the 80PRS out of my trade-in rather than put it in the 5.0 and I'm seriously regretting it. I guess I'll end up using a JBL MS8 or something like that for processing for my speakers. Dayton 8" mids and 1" large format tweeters... Sounded so good in the old car. The mids went so low and the tweeters were not directional at all--played all the way down to 3khz without a single issue. I need to give the new Stang an exterior sound system first before that, though, if you catch my drift.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Repth you have to be joking! Did you read a brochure for a head or are you serious. Tcor is a fail for a car especially our cars. So you want to make a sweet spot the drivers seat and then everyone else in your car hears messed up sound? Well the car is small enough that it wouldn't really effect the passengers as it doesn't really do enough to make it worth while. Alpine was an innovator in Tcor. It might behoove you to read about it a little more and the requirements of actual speaker distance over proposed. A simple fix to the "need" for Tcor I S a component set-up up front. 6.5 in the door with the tweeter in the dash. As long as you are in phase it will sound great and loud.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Repth you have to be joking! Did you read a brochure for a head or are you serious. Tcor is a fail for a car especially our cars. So you want to make a sweet spot the drivers seat and then everyone else in your car hears messed up sound? Well the car is small enough that it wouldn't really effect the passengers as it doesn't really do enough to make it worth while. Alpine was an innovator in Tcor. It might behoove you to read about it a little more and the requirements of actual speaker distance over proposed. A simple fix to the "need" for Tcor I S a component set-up up front. 6.5 in the door with the tweeter in the dash. As long as you are in phase it will sound great and loud.

I am so confused by your post. I have to assume that you have never actually dabbled in time alignment (especially because you call it "t cor"). Yes, I am suggesting that you set it up for the driver versus the passengers. If you like, however, you can set it up for a neutral position between the two front seats and it still sounds "decent". It will definitely still get rid of the feeling that the subwoofer is behind you and will at least blend the front stage vertically, though it will not do anything for it horizontally. Your proposed solution of splitting things up with a component set is, ironically enough, the precise situation where time alignment becomes the most beneficial. When you have separate drivers for the mid and tweeter, you run into phase issues. Ideally, your tweeter and mid will be as close to each other as possible to eliminate any possible phase issues, but these issues can be artificially corrected using time alignment (though sometimes at the expense of smooth frequency response). Also ironically, the dash is the worst possible place for a tweeter to be located.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I legitimately can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. I'd normally just let it go, but I really do not want people out there to read your post and think that the information that you posted is accurate.

To give a frame of reference for my posts, I installed a 3-way active set-up in my Charger with sub in the trunk, mid in the door, and tweeter in the dash (didn't have much choice in placement using large-format tweeters). The system was time-aligned individually by driver and everything blended seamlessly into the front stage. It sounded as though all of the music was coming from 6 feet in front of the car on a stage roughly 10 feet wide, perfectly at ear level. Upon playing a live performance CD (Hotel California would have to be my favorite), it appeared that some instruments which were originally located on the sides of the stage were actually coming from outside of the car to the left or right. Which is much, much better than sounding like they were confined into the space of the car. Time alignment, done right, opens up the soundstage artificially to appear to be bigger than the car. Individual instruments and vocalists could be appropriately localized with great accuracy. My father went to take the car for a drive one day and came back inside to tell me that he thought it sounded like my door speakers stopped working. He described a situation where all the sound came from the dash. I asked him if it sounded good and he thought about it for a bit before going out to listen to it a bit more and rendering the verdict that it sounded great. He wanted to know how I made it sound that good with just speakers in the dash. That's how good time alignment can me--the drivers blended so seamlessly that he was unable to tell that there more than just the two in the dash. I had to physically show him before he believed me.

Of course, this all sounded atrociously bad to my passengers, so at the push of a bottom the sound could be centered for a more amicable stage, and when I was again driving alone I could seamlessly flip back to the blissfully accurate soundstage for the driver's listening position.

Oh, and the best part? The Pioneer 80PRS was able to get it tuned 90% of the way there, with only some fine tuning required.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Tcor=time correction. If f you didn't gather that then you are as,........ Being in the industry for quite some time before becoming an electrician, yes I dabbled in the industry. It was and always is a common practice to place the tweeter from a component set up in the dash of our fox body mustangs. As a matter of fact a great deal of cars come complete with a pilar tweets. Time correction corrects the alignment of the speed of the sound coming from every speaker, particularly mid range. It is important to know that mid to high range frequency is a directional sound wave. Low frequency is not directional as it reflects of of everything. Hence why a sub in the trunk is fine and can be blended with your mids in the door or behind the seat. Now to time correction, all time correction is good for is to make the front divers side speaker hit your ear at the same time the rear passenger does. Or all of the speakers. Beings you sit so close to the front driver,.... Now what I said is it is a gimme for cars. In my house my Yamaha receiver uses ypao to do the exact same thing. In my house I don't have a motor or road or anything of the sort. Makes sense in a house. Now I do believe what you are trying to speak to me about is not time correction but more of imaging. Imaging is accomplished by proper speaker placement. As well as style of speaker.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Gimic not gimme

Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tcor=time correction. If f you didn't gather that then you are as,........ Being in the industry for quite some time before becoming an electrician, yes I dabbled in the industry. It was and always is a common practice to place the tweeter from a component set up in the dash of our fox body mustangs. As a matter of fact a great deal of cars come complete with a pilar tweets. Time correction corrects the alignment of the speed of the sound coming from every speaker, particularly mid range. It is important to know that mid to high range frequency is a directional sound wave. Low frequency is not directional as it reflects of of everything. Hence why a sub in the trunk is fine and can be blended with your mids in the door or behind the seat. Now to time correction, all time correction is good for is to make the front divers side speaker hit your ear at the same time the rear passenger does. Or all of the speakers. Beings you sit so close to the front driver,.... Now what I said is it is a gimme for cars. In my house my Yamaha receiver uses ypao to do the exact same thing. In my house I don't have a motor or road or anything of the sort. Makes sense in a house. Now I do believe what you are trying to speak to me about is not time correction but more of imaging. Imaging is accomplished by proper speaker placement. As well as style of speaker.

It is clear to me that you do not actually understand any of what you are talking about.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Try driving for a week with no music/radio on. Becomes peaceful and well I never power mine on in either car, I will listen to music at home or on my ipod during a walk.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
Try driving for a week with no music/radio on. Becomes peaceful and well I never power mine on in either car, I will listen to music at home or on my ipod during a walk.

I find having some music to be peaceful. I have a hard time relaxing and the music helps keep me from having to focus on any one thing. I know that's backwards from most people, but I am the most at peace when there is some light music.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Joser, you must be of the subwoofer only crowd. Kenwood acquired JVC a few years back, this does not make them the same. Even if the same engineers are working together they are not making the same product. Chrysler owned Mercedes for a while and you never seen a Mercedes challenger. Same concept. As to why they are crap, the materials they use and the technology pales in comparison to other, better manufacturers. As far as a price point they are all relatively comparable. As its been said though, with alpine, if you want the features you will pay for them where as Kenwood and Pioneer you can get the same features starting at a lower price point.

No but I do love my bass though. Heres my set up jvc head unit, 4 channel amp (pioneer), kicker 6.5 component and pioneer 6x8, for my bass I have an audiocontrol epicenter and then to a kenwood amp to 2 10 pioneer champion series subs. I know this isnt audison or some high end stuff but keep in mind that im in a 11 year old car that the low end audio stuff probably cost more than the car itself.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
It is clear to me that you do not actually understand any of what you are talking about.

HAHAHA, dude go pick a fight with someone your own size. This is a heavy weight bout.

The distance between the listener and the speakers in a car vary widely due to the complex speaker placement. This difference in the distances from the speakers to the listener creates a shift in the sounds image and frequency characteristics. This is caused by the time delay between the sound reaching the listener's right versus the left ear. To correct this, the CDA-9835/CDA-9833 is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. The listener can be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging.

About Time Correction; Bass Focus - Alpine CDA-9833 Owner's Manual [Page 19]

Just a simple snippet from a manual explaining the exact thing I just said. As i said earlier, more of a gimic in the automobile than anything since G3 spark plugs.

Its clear to me you have no clue as to the actual technology behind. Its clear that you drive in a vacuum and your tires are never actually on the ground. But hey, More power to you. Oh and by the way, Infinity makes some of the BEST speakers out there. Their reference series (entry level) blows away most other manufactures
high end. To boot, they sound fine on deck power alone, where as others need an amp.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
No but I do love my bass though. Heres my set up jvc head unit, 4 channel amp (pioneer), kicker 6.5 component and pioneer 6x8, for my bass I have an audiocontrol epicenter and then to a kenwood amp to 2 10 pioneer champion series subs. I know this isnt audison or some high end stuff but keep in mind that im in a 11 year old car that the low end audio stuff probably cost more than the car itself.
thats not a bad setup, I just personally would never use a JVC head again. Our rep that sold us our JVC equipment wouldnt even use one. The only other thing I would change from your system is the Kenwood amp. I dont like anything other then their heads. They may have come some way since I was in the industry but,....

I do see your point though in regards to a system costing more then a car lol. I was 16 once and had one of those.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
thats not a bad setup, I just personally would never use a JVC head again. Our rep that sold us our JVC equipment wouldnt even use one. The only other thing I would change from your system is the Kenwood amp. I dont like anything other then their heads. They may have come some way since I was in the industry but,....

I do see your point though in regards to a system costing more then a car lol. I was 16 once and had one of those.
For what I paid its an ok amp. I just think the jvc is the best bang for your buck. When I was shopping for my setup a lot of friends were pointing towards in dash receivers but they lacked the features for what I paid for this
Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
HAHAHA, dude go pick a fight with someone your own size. This is a heavy weight bout.

The distance between the listener and the speakers in a car vary widely due to the complex speaker placement. This difference in the distances from the speakers to the listener creates a shift in the sounds image and frequency characteristics. This is caused by the time delay between the sound reaching the listener's right versus the left ear. To correct this, the CDA-9835/CDA-9833 is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. The listener can be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging.

About Time Correction; Bass Focus - Alpine CDA-9833 Owner's Manual [Page 19]

Just a simple snippet from a manual explaining the exact thing I just said. As i said earlier, more of a gimic in the automobile than anything since G3 spark plugs.

Its clear to me you have no clue as to the actual technology behind. Its clear that you drive in a vacuum and your tires are never actually on the ground. But hey, More power to you. Oh and by the way, Infinity makes some of the BEST speakers out there. Their reference series (entry level) blows away most other manufactures

high end. To boot, they sound fine on deck power alone, where as others need an amp.

You are not making yourself any more credible. You finally said something that was correct--time alignment delays the signal from any number of individual drivers so that they appear to all be equidistant from the listener. Which actually has the effect of making them all blend together. Which has the effect of making it sound as though you are not in a car the size of a shoe with speakers in your face. It just goes to show that you've never used time alignment effectively (not that it's hard to do).

Also I'm not sure how to respond to this because the thing about Infinity speakers is clearly either an absolute statement of how little you know or a (somewhat plausible) attempt at trolling. Either way, it's not doing you any favors.

And what's the deal with the "heavyweight bout"? Lol. You know you're struggling when you feel the need to throw stuff like that in there.

Anyway, I highly recommend you never sit in a car that makes proper use of time alignment, because I'm sure you'd be very upset to know that you've been completely wrong all these years.

And to anyone reading this post, if you don't believe me, feel free to do your own research. DIYMobileAudio is a great place to start.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok first off, plz keep it civil, I can see it going down the non-civil road fast. I do encourage anyone else to research on their own and I will gander over to DIYMobileAudio and also see what the Google says.

Well this is the headunit I'm running:

Kenwood KDC-MP342U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Its really not bad, just no bluetooth. But I really might just buy a high capacity thumb drive for $20 and just leave it in there.

Other shizer I have going in:

And yes I will be happy with it, at least in a noisy 98GT that still has a Tri-Ax transmitting all the driveline noise into the cockpit.

edit: Also the bazooka. I'd buy an actual sub, but the custom enclosure that MTX makes that fits in the 94-04 trunk corner is yoga balls pricey.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Here are some good resources for performing time alignment by hand:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...your-ears.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...alignment.html

The second is particularly great for those who want a simple approach that is tuned by ear alone.

Note that time alignment is always a good thing but the largest benefit is had when running an active (ie: no passive crossovers between mid and tweet) setup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video