Static from tweeters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Static from tweeters

I recently installed a dnn991hd and 2 sets of JL Audio C3-570 with the iDatalink dashkit and Maestro RR into a 2013 gt. The car had a standard shacker system installed. I am still using the factory amps/sub though atm.
When the stereo starts booting up the constant static starts coming from my 4 tweeters only. The car is not running and I can mute it and it still produces the sound. If I turn the system up the static does not change loudness. If the stereo is off the static is gone.
The system sounds awesome but that static really annoys me.
Blazenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Are you using aftermarket amps or just head head unit power? Either way, it sounds like there is noise being introduced into the system which could be any number of problems. I would first check to make sure that all the grounds are short, well-terminated, and located on bare metal chassis. I'd say 90% of noise problems in car audio are located to a bad ground. It is commonplace when installing an aftermarket radio to create a new ground and not use the one in the stock wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

I am using the head unit to power the speakers unless the factory amp in the shacker system powers them. I am using the ground in the harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have not installed a Maestro. Does it get grounded? If so, check its ground. Google ground loop troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazenlink View Post
I am using the head unit to power the speakers unless the factory amp in the shacker system powers them. I am using the ground in the harness.
Do you have Shaker or Shaker Pro? I both all speakers are driven by a single amplifier. Shaker Pro has second amp for the subs.

Are you using the MUS1 dash kit and harness? If so, did the harness have RCAs on on the white, gray, violet and green wires?

Thanks,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've had trouble with ground loop noise when you have two or more devices connected to each other, all powered by the vehicle's electrical system but individually grounded in different spots on the chassis. If nothing else suggested above works, try tying all the ground wires to the exact same point on the body/chassis. So there's the head unit and amplifiers to consider, including any dedicated amps in the trunk for a sub.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

I had the shacker system (not pro). I am using the MUS1 dash kit(ADS-KIT-MUS01). I don't remember the colours of the wires. When I get some free time I will experiment with some of the suggestions.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #8

Well I remembered something back before I upgraded the sound system, I remember when I had the cars fans on it caused a static like sound from the speakers.
Since it has gotten a bit colder up here i turned my heat on a few times and the static sound louder. I tried re-grounding the stereo but have had no luck sofar. I am wondering if this could be caused by some dirty power from the system or the factory amp.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I remembered something back before I upgraded the sound system, I remember when I had the cars fans on it caused a static like sound from the speakers.
Since it has gotten a bit colder up here i turned my heat on a few times and the static sound louder. I tried re-grounding the stereo but have had no luck sofar. I am wondering if this could be caused by some dirty power from the system or the factory amp.
Did the harness that came with your MUS1 have RCAs on the end of the wires to plug into the deck RCA outputs or did you connect to the speaker wires out of the deck? You need to use RCA. Also, since you have normal Shaker, the small 8 pin connector should not have been plugged into anything in car. Please confirm both.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #10

The only RCAs connected are the 2 sub ones. The kit I have only had 2 RCAs. What small 8 pin connector are you talking about?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only RCAs connected are the 2 sub ones. The kit I have only had 2 RCAs. What small 8 pin connector are you talking about?

In 2013/14 with the Shaker system (not Pro), the front,rear and subwoofer speakers are all driven from one amplifier. So, the Sub RCAs are not used. The 8 pin plug I refer to is the one that the Sub RCAs go to on the car side. There are three plugs that can go to your car - 24 pin, 16 pin and 8 pin. The 8 pin connector is for REAR subs in Shaker Pro.

As for connecting to the amplifier, connecting speaker outputs from the radio to the inputs of the amplifier (using the MUS1 T-Harness) will work but will overdrive the amp, resulting in very loud sound at very low volume level in the radio, as well as some floor noise.

You can eliminate these issues, but cutting a pair of RCAs in half and connecting them to the white, gray, green and violet speaker wires of the MUS1 T-harness. The center conductors are positive and the shield are the negative.

Then plug these into the Front and Rear RCA outs of your deck. If your car has Sync and Shaker, then both the SUB IN and AUX in RCAs in the MUS1 t-harness are not used so you could just cut those off and use them for the modification.

Hope this is clear/helpful.

Best,
maestro.idatalink.com
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #12

Sorry for the late replay been a bit busy at work. I rewired the speakers to the rcas and removed the 8 pin connector. I am still getting the static.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

PM me with a way to get a hold of you so we can ask some questions.

Thanks,
maestro.idatalink.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video