Thinking of installing a Kenwood DNX690HD in my 2013 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Thinking of installing a Kenwood DNX690HD in my 2013 v6

I've got the base factory stereo right now, I'm kind of looking at the Kenwood DNX690HD to replace it with.

Just curious if anyone's had any experience with this and/or has any suggestions..

This is going to be my first change I've done to my new mustang, so really want it to go right..

Danilo
Danilo_Thann69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have the 890 and Im pretty happy with it, If you want it to be seamless, Id do the ADS maestro setup
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
The 690 isnt a bad unit. I would try to get some thing from this year though. Some times Kenwood stuff can be a little glitchy. Do youre research and know what you're buying. Read reviews both good and bad.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Region: Virginia
Well I wound up putting the Kenwood DNX-690HD in, partly because I wound up getting a new one for less than $300. Gotta love finding a shop going out of business lol.

The install went perfect, and looks great.

My only issue is the lack of a clock now. I wound up using the Scosche FD1441B dash kit, and I'm wondering if there's a way to program the original LCD screen to display the time and/or a custom message?

In addition, a buddy of mine is building me a custom fiberglass box that I'm putting a 10" subwoofer and amp in, as well as replacing the factory speakers with some Rockford Fosgate's.

Danilo
Danilo_Thann69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #5

Region: New York
I would highly recommend the raxiom navigation unit made by american muscle. It has a stock look to it and does everything you could possibly need it to. All adapters are included in addition to a rear backup camera. For the price you can't go wrong and it changes the whole level of enjoyment of your vehicle. Hope this helps
kixmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the 690 with the iDataLink kit. Kenwood hadn't added the clock and compass to the secondary LCD the year of the 690, so we are SOL on that. The clock does show up on the primary display, but it is hidden when nav is up. The newer Kenwood models do all the fun stuff - clock, compass, and custom text. But at $300 for that unit it's worth not having the clock.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixmania View Post
I would highly recommend the raxiom navigation unit made by american muscle. It has a stock look to it and does everything you could possibly need it to. All adapters are included in addition to a rear backup camera. For the price you can't go wrong and it changes the whole level of enjoyment of your vehicle. Hope this helps
he already bought a unit and lets be honest that Raxiom system has it own issues, lets not act like its perfect, and it looks cheap, and it uses the stock stereo which offers no easy (inexpensive) way to add an amp(s)
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #8

Region: New York
I wouldn't say its perfect.however, as an owner of one I can say it blends in with the cars OEM styling.when I first bought it there were issues, but after an update all problems diminished.all other aftermarket head units are positioned terribly with aftermarket adapters because the shifter gets in the way. Nonetheless, I didn't know the op had already purchased the hu. Hope all works out with install.
kixmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo_Thann69 View Post
Well I wound up putting the Kenwood DNX-690HD in, partly because I wound up getting a new one for less than $300. Gotta love finding a shop going out of business lol.

The install went perfect, and looks great.

My only issue is the lack of a clock now. I wound up using the Scosche FD1441B dash kit, and I'm wondering if there's a way to program the original LCD screen to display the time and/or a custom message?

In addition, a buddy of mine is building me a custom fiberglass box that I'm putting a 10" subwoofer and amp in, as well as replacing the factory speakers with some Rockford Fosgate's.

Danilo
If you would have used the Maestro MRR and MUS1 dash kit your radio would be higher in your dash and the original factory screen would have song data on it. The clock does not work with the 690 (as the radio does not put out the time to us). However, newer models will show clock on the factory screen.
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video