Factory navigation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Factory navigation

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 With Shaker Audio (Sync). And was wondering if I buy a take off factory navigation will it plug in just fine or would I need any other accessory?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
CHeck out the forsale section at Mustang Source, there's someone selling a takeoff for a great price. I asked the same question and he referenced a technical thread that lays it out in complete detail. You'll probably spend another 500-ish after the take off unit itself, and its a lot of work.

I'm tempted, but have a Raxiom nav unit and that *IS* just plug and play.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for letting me know .

I think i will go with Raxion, almost same features, less money and less mess lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I wish more people had tried this so I had more confidence regarding it (been following the thread on TMS for a long while now). I am considering swapping my Raxiom out for the factory nav, but finding a 2013+ pulled nav with heated seats is a bit of a pain as well. Would really enjoy going the full swap and doing dual climate though.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
A lot of people have tried and successfully done this. Including the getting the dual climate controls to work. 23 pages of details can be found at the thread quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://themustangsource.com/forums/f803/adding-oem-nav-516988/
First, your list of parts and why you need them:

You must have:

main dash harness ($200 - $300) - you need to check the build date of your car in order to be sure you get the right harness for your car. Part number ranges from AR3Z to CR3Z 14401 with end letters. Mine was CR3Z 14401 KA. Check with your dealer as to which you need. Make sure you state that you need a harness with the nav (and heated seats if you have them).

sun load sensor ($20) - DG9Z 13A018 A. Don't know what this enables, but with the new dash harness, the old sensor won't plug in anymore. The old sensor uses 2 wires, while the new one use 4. It has a driver and passenger sensor in it.

antennae satellite/GPS splitter harness ($30) - AR3Z 10E928 A (this may be on the new harness already)

climate control module ($75) - CR3Z 19980 B.

NAV ACM (the unit itself) - You'll have to get this from a wrecker. Ford won't sell it to you. You'll need to pay attention as to whether the NAV is programmed for rear camera or not. Mine had this, but yours may not and it will need to be programmed. You would need to find a car that had this options and use its VIN.

monitor ($400 - get it from a wrecker with your NAV instead) - CR3Z 10E899 A

center console bezel ($ ? - get it from the wrecker) - Again, check for heated seats.

Not required, but highly recommened. If you decide to get functioning dual zone climate control, you will need to go to Muskoka's post #208 in this thread on page 11. The dash HAS to come out to get the evaporator housing switched.

evaporator housing ($250) - DR3Z-19850 B - if you want to get the dual climate zone functioning. Not necessary as your climate will still work just fine, but the passenger will not have separate control.

actuator motor for blend door ($20) - AR3Z-19E616-A - if you decide that you want functioning dual zone, you will need this motor

climate system harness ($30) - AR3Z 18B574 B. This is to get the temperature buttons to work right, otherwise they will work in reverse - but they will work without this.

right steering wheel switches ($45) - AR3Z-9C888-FA. If you don't get this switch, the 'phone' and 'ok' buttons don't work.

To get sound:

Recommended you get an aftermarket amp and let the stereo guys wire it. If you decide to go OEM with the amp, be aware this is NOT plug and play like the nav. You will be making your own harnesses, tapping into wires and adding pins into connectors. You'll savelot's of money here going OEM, but you'll pay for it with the amount of time needed to wire it up properly:

amp ($125) - AR3Z 18B849 C

pigtails for amp ($35) - WPT 955 and WPT 998

bracket for amp ($40) - AR3Z 14536 A

16 guage speaker wire (twist the pairs together)

22 guage stp 4 pair wire (4 pairs of wires that are twisted and shielded with a drain wire)

18 guage wire

1 double size female pin to put into connector 2280D (on the smart junction box)

10 single size male pins to put into connector 210

I just yanked these pins out of some connectors from my old dash harness. Plenty to choose form..

OR

you can just buy the main body harness. You'll have to remove everything, seats, center console, dash, panels - all of it - in order to replace your existing body harness with the new one.

Main body harness ($~300) - CR3Z-14A005-KB - this part number is for a car with the nav, heated seats and rear camera. You will need to check the part number for yourself to ensure that it is correct for your car, just as you had to with the main dash harness.

BUT getting dual climate control to work involves removing the whole dash and buying a few parts to change on A/C system, little flapper/air diverter & servo/motor controller, different wiring harness for those controls.

Actually, I wish mine worked like a retrofitted OEM Nav... ie: you see the dual controls on the head unit changing, but nothing happens... ie: my wife can play with the controls all she wants, it just doesn't do anything!!!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^- This.

I actually don't WANT dual zone, what I want is the thermostat like functionality. Set at 72 and let it figure out heat/AC/whatever. My Supra had this in 1986

Someone needs to go pay that dude that super reasonable price for that nav cause its pretty much 60% of what it costs ANYwhere else.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
A lot of people have tried and successfully done this. Including the getting the dual climate controls to work. 23 pages of details can be found at the thread quoted:
I'm aware. As I stated I have been following the thread for quite some time, well before I got my Raxiom. Although I personally don't consider three, none of which were a 13/14 model, "a lot" which is why I stated that.

Quote:
BUT getting dual climate control to work involves removing the whole dash and buying a few parts to change on A/C system, little flapper/air diverter & servo/motor controller, different wiring harness for those controls.
Yep, it's definitely not a small job (even without the dual climate retrofit), but to not have to deal with the Raxiom issues anymore I think it's probably worth it.

Quote:
Actually, I wish mine worked like a retrofitted OEM Nav... ie: you see the dual controls on the head unit changing, but nothing happens... ie: my wife can play with the controls all she wants, it just doesn't do anything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Someone needs to go pay that dude that super reasonable price for that nav cause its pretty much 60% of what it costs ANYwhere else.
Seriously, I would be all over that if it had the heated seats and was from a 13/14.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know how hard it would be to change that one over to heated seats? Is it just a switch install? I'm able to speculate on my own... anyone with any actual experience?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anyone know how hard it would be to change that one over to heated seats? Is it just a switch install? I'm able to speculate on my own... anyone with any actual experience?
It'd be great if that was doable, but I doubt it. I am waiting to hear back from a salvage yard about a 2013 ACM, so maybe if that works out I will just buy the center stack/screen solo since the ACM is really all I need to be out of a 13/14. Selling my Raxiom will probably pay for a fair portion of the endeavor.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I assumed the buttons would be doable, ill have to nail that down.

Btw, what issues have you had with the Raxiom?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I assumed the buttons would be doable, ill have to nail that down.

Btw, what issues have you had with the Raxiom?
It'd be great if it was.

Too many minor issues to list (couple of examples: If you cancel a route, it will show up as cancelled, but continue to provide the next 1-3 directions over the speakers with no way of stopping it. Sometimes when it cuts into the front left speaker audio to say directions, it will "forget" to return priority to the radio and I'll basically lose audio output from my front left speaker until I shut off the car), but the biggest issue I had (and the one that convinced me to start looking into getting rid of it) was related to AM's support regarding it.

I initially bought it because it was sold as having free map updates. After about a year of being blown off by AM (being told to just go to the map website and download them, which wasn't possible) or being simply ignored, they updated their page to state that the maps were not free and stated that this was a recent change. I purchased it a week after they put it on their site and never had the opportunity to get the map updates, despite the fact that the map data already had a newer version when I received it. I have had to use my phone for maps on pretty much 100% of occasions due to how inaccurate the map data has been for my travels. The unit has basically become a easier way to tell what radio station I am listening to and that's about it.

It's relatively cheap to update the maps (~$60 and AM eventually offered to reimburse a portion of that if I were to buy it), but I was so pissed off over the thing that I didn't want to even deal with that and it was no longer about the cost, it was about basically being lied to. I won't be buying any more products from AM (although that's not really saying much since there is very little left I am actually interested in buying for my car at this point and nearly all of the parts I have purchased came from them).

Out of all the non-OEM aftermarket audio/nav products, the Raxiom is probably the best overall. However, being the best of inferior products isn't something to brag about.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I took the plunge and got the 2013 Nav unit from a car that had heated seats (and rear cam, but I didn't care about that since I have the one in the mirror and that works just fine. I can live with the screen blanking in reverse). I also picked up a control panel w/ heated seats and screen that comes with a 2010 receiver that I won't be using. Guess I can sell that for a bit of money. Ended up being about $750 overall. Will still need to buy the other parts, obviously. I'm still considering doing the full dual-zone conversion, but what I really want is just the set it and forget it temperature setting like Wordy wants. I just don't know how well that will work if the dual-zone isn't used. I figure it probably doesn't matter, but I would rather have everything working than not. I'll just need to get a friend to help me take the dash out. I should probably hop into that thread over at TMS finally. Going to try to get it all done in a weekend once I have all the parts in. I imagine I will put up my Raxiom for sale shortly after that. Shooting for mid-December, maybe early January. I'm out of town for several weeks between then and now, so that puts a damper on things.

(Holy crap, that MEvo popup asking you to subscribe is annoying as hell)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Jesus man, you and I basically have all the same stuff going on. Time wise I'm in the same boat as you. I need to collect parts too, and if I get them I guess I'll put my Raxiom up for sale. Mine is still in the box, never installed.

THe set and forget is purported to work fine without dual zone, just the same temp air that you set on your side blows out both vents. The thermostat still works fine or so I read.

If you were in the PNW we could get together and knock both cars out in a weekend

The TMS thread is helpful, and that Jim guy is pretty damn generous with his time and experience. Few others over there as well for tha tmatter.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If I wasn't in upstate New York, that would be great.

If I can get away with not removing the entire dash, I would prefer to do that, even if I don't get full dual-zone. I just miss the thermostat feature my Focus had and the dual-zone in that was used very rarely so it's not a huge desire to have. Although if I do end up removing the entire dash, I might as well do the full conversion, so I guess it depends on how much work it takes if you don't do the full dash. The other thread says it's possible, but a huge pain. I've got an email out to Tousley (or whatever they are calling themselves now) regarding the main harness, but haven't heard back yet.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

All i want is navigation and thats it, i really dont care about dual ac or heated seats.

Can the istallation be easier if i only use gps ?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Ranger,
If you're considering this you really need to go read the thread over at TMS. Seriously, no stone left untturned there.

That said, if you don't care about the dual AC you do not have to pull the dash. You've just got to have some long and slender arms and good deal of patience. I have short thick arms and am frequently tempted to set fire to stuff for being a pain in the ***. So... I'll just pull the dash and save myself some anger and cursing.

Don't fall for that $1,000 **** on ebay either. Shop around. In fact there's a guy on teh forum who's selling 99% of it for $750 right now and I bet he might be willing to work with you on that price.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
If I wasn't in upstate New York, that would be great.

If I can get away with not removing the entire dash, I would prefer to do that, even if I don't get full dual-zone. I just miss the thermostat feature my Focus had and the dual-zone in that was used very rarely so it's not a huge desire to have. Although if I do end up removing the entire dash, I might as well do the full conversion, so I guess it depends on how much work it takes if you don't do the full dash. The other thread says it's possible, but a huge pain. I've got an email out to Tousley (or whatever they are calling themselves now) regarding the main harness, but haven't heard back yet.

Heh, I know it would drive me absolutely nuts to go 95% and not do the full conversion. I like the features, but to have something on the console not function right would wind up killing me.

So yeah, I'll wind up doing it all just so everything works the way its supposed to, even though I doubt I'll use the dual zones very much at all. Its a tiny cabin
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Don't bother with the dual zones, its just one more thing your wife / gf shouldn't be messing with on your car anyway!! Let her THINK she's adjusting it!

I have a steering wheel like this:

If you're interested. Its my 2014 GT Premium steering wheel, but the buttons are off of a a different (alcantara) steering wheel. So I had to swap the buttons. I'll take an actual picture of mine if you're interested.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I wish that were the issue, but I'd have an OCD freakout at 3am one night and have to go out to the shop to finish the job. Privilege of getting older is getting to know yourself

That sure looks like my wheel, I have a '12.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
All i want is navigation and thats it, i really dont care about dual ac or heated seats.

Can the istallation be easier if i only use gps ?

The guy on TMS with the rig goes by "Overboost". Don't know him personally, but you can try hitting him up and seeing what kind of deal you can work out.

He was asking 750, and I got the feeling he'd negotiate if someone was reasonable about it. Anything off that number beats the knucklehead prices I'm seeing on ebay right now. Car-Part.com is a better bet than Ebay these days.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video