New Edge Mustang Receiver Cut off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
New Edge Mustang Receiver Cut off

I have a 2003 Mustang with Mach 460. About a year ago, I took out the stock HU and put a Kenwood receiver. I also have subs. Everything was working but then one day, it played for about a minute and cut off. I can't get it to cut on from the harness. I did get it to turn on by connecting it straight to the battery so the receiver is working.

I have a 12v to 5v converter to stop the "pop" when it turns on. I have the converter connected to the amp turn on wires, as it should be. I then have the amp ground grounded to the chassis. I then have the wires matching the harness adapter connected to the receiver harness. The adapter said to connect the grounds, not to ground them. I have tried both ways. I have redone all of the connections so that shouldn't be the problem. I used a tester and checked each connection and everywhere (including ground) is getting power. Previously I have had a short with the car harness and only working when I lift it, to counteract that problem, I had it ziptied higher up inside the dash. But that's not the problem, it won't turn on at all. My ground consists of: the amp ground (from the adapter harness) and the converter ground. I have also tried adding both grounds from the receiver and adapter. I don't know if there is something I'm missing or what could be wrong. Thanks
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
I have a 2003 Mustang with Mach 460. About a year ago, I took out the stock HU and put a Kenwood receiver. I also have subs. Everything was working but then one day, it played for about a minute and cut off. I can't get it to cut on from the harness. I did get it to turn on by connecting it straight to the battery so the receiver is working.

I have a 12v to 5v converter to stop the "pop" when it turns on. I have the converter connected to the amp turn on wires, as it should be. I then have the amp ground grounded to the chassis. I then have the wires matching the harness adapter connected to the receiver harness. The adapter said to connect the grounds, not to ground them. I have tried both ways. I have redone all of the connections so that shouldn't be the problem. I used a tester and checked each connection and everywhere (including ground) is getting power. Previously I have had a short with the car harness and only working when I lift it, to counteract that problem, I had it ziptied higher up inside the dash. But that's not the problem, it won't turn on at all. My ground consists of: the amp ground (from the adapter harness) and the converter ground. I have also tried adding both grounds from the receiver and adapter. I don't know if there is something I'm missing or what could be wrong. Thanks

The yellow wire in my factory harness was dead. I ran a wire from the battery to the yellow and now the radio works. But now my subs don't. I've checked all fuses, all wires, the ground. The amp goes into protect mode as soon as you turn it on. Protect is on even with the speakers and rca cables unplugged. I'm thinking the amp just went bad, but I'm not sure
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Tags
new edge