Set Up Suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Set Up Suggestions

So it's time to start working on the audio a bit and I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this, that's always been my brother's area.

I would like some suggestions of the setup I have planned.

I currently have 2 10" Kenwood KFC-W2513PS subs. (300w RMS, 1000w peak each, 4 ohm impedence).

I'm going to have him build me a box to house these. I asked him for a suggestion on an Amp and he swears by PPI, which I've never heard of.

For the door and rear speakers I want to use these Rockford Fosgates:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6"x8" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

My questions are what is a solid amp that will handle those loads and also, will I need a deep cycle battery to handle all of this extra load?

I have not changed my head unit just yet. I have a base car, no shaker system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
PPI used to be a much higher end company, now they are ok. I used some Rockford T series amps and they are some of the best I ever used. I had a bcd 1500 and 400/4. They did way more than rated power and never over heated. I highly recommend them.

Personally I would ditch the subs. Look around and try to find some Alpine Type R's. They are excellent budget woofers.

As far as batteries, I use my stock battery right now with very good results. If you want to buy one an Optima yellow top will work great.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
PPI used to be a much higher end company, now they are ok. I used some Rockford T series amps and they are some of the best I ever used. I had a bcd 1500 and 400/4. They did way more than rated power and never over heated. I highly recommend them.

Personally I would ditch the subs. Look around and try to find some Alpine Type R's. They are excellent budget woofers.

As far as batteries, I use my stock battery right now with very good results. If you want to buy one an Optima yellow top will work great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I got these Kenwood for a steal is why I have them. I'm not looking for heavy output bass, just good and punchy.

I was looking at the Optima. My concern was this new load would drain the stock battery pretty quickly.

As far as the speakers I chose, any issues with those? The overall reviews seem good. One thought I had was if I'll run into any clearance issues in the door since these have built in tweeters.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
The speakers aren't to bad. Will you power them with the HU or an amp?

If you want to keep the Kenwoods I wouldn't feed them more than around 300 watts, they really can't handle much more than that.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Going to do an amp since I have the stock head unit. I'll replace it later on, but not really wanting to drop $400+ on a new one just yet.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #6

Region: Texas
I would not go with three way speakers all the way around it will be treble overkill.
Xtreme Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Do you plan on running the stereo with the car off ? If so then you should upgrade your battery as you'll end up with a dead battery quickly when running a large subwoofer amp. Or get one of these as your rescue solution: http://www.lowes.com/pd_573361-74342...&kpid=50179123
Though depleting the battery down regularly is not good for its life in the long run.

If you're generally only going to jam out (loud music) while the car is running then the stock battery is fine.

Though you should probably get a capacitor which will keep the sub amp from overwhelming the power system. If you've ever seen someone with a serious sound system and no capacitors, when they listen the music loud, you can sometimes see the lights in the car dim with the hard hits of bass..... well that's what a capacitor will fix... it will help store an little energy reserve between bass hits, so there will be no dip in voltage/power.

With what you're doing all you should need is like a 1.0 - 3.5 (max) Farad capacitor. You can go cheap (1.0 Farad with no digital read out) as they are VERY simple devices and should all work the same.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video