Shaker 500 speaker replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Shaker 500 speaker replacement

I was thinking about replacing the speakers in my sons '14 GT with the Shaker 500 system. I have a 2006 Silverado with the Bose system that sounds so much better than the Shaker!! I was reading posts about speaker upgrades and it seems most are upgrading the base stereo speakers. I have seen some Shaker upgrades, but that conflicts with what I just heard from Crutchfield.

The person I spoke with at Crutchfield said there are issues with the amplified speakers and there aren't many options. He said I would need a new amp to drive any new speakers and the amp is "married" to the head unit. He said they work best when together and keeping just the head unit, but with new amps won't improve my audio experience.

Can I replace the door and rear shelf speakers only on the Shaker 500 systems? If so, what is recommended to provide a fuller sound. The factory system sounds kinda flat! I'm looking for a fuller range of sound and not the booming bass you hear so much of. My son listens to Chevelle, Sound Garden, Avenged Sevenfold, etc type of music so any recommendations on what's needed is appreciated

2014 Mustang GT Premium: Ruby Red, GT500 exhaust/valance/spoiler and Roush Upper/Lower grills and splitters
1987 Camaro IROC-Z: 350, TTops, Leather, Bose and only 20k original miles
scottmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Region: Missouri
I have a 2014 convertible w/ the Shaker 500.

I've replaced the 5x7s in the door and the rear seat side panels with Alpine SPS-517. To mount the speakers in the doors you'll need to either order adapters or cut up the stock speakers to reuse the mounting bracket. I cut up the stock speakers and reused the bracket. I ran 12 ga wire to the 5x7s. I went through the door molex, there's a post somewhere with instructions.
I used the existing wires for the 8" door speakers and wired all 4 drivers in parallel to the amp's sub channel. Those 8" are labeled 2 ohm 35 watts. So an 8 ohm load on the sub channel.

I added the Alpine PDR-V75 5-channel car amplifier - 75 watts RMS
I use the headunit's front L/R channel for everything. The amp has settings to take a 2 channel input and produce a 5 channel output. The headunit does not output full spectrum to the rear channels. In a convertible, I want full spectrum to the rear speakers.

On the amp, I set crossovers at 70 khz. The 5x7 are rated 73-20,000.
I use the 8" doors like a sub from 20 - 70. The amp has an adjustable a base boost for the sub channel.

I used the PAC AOEM-FRD24 Add-On Amplifier Interface to connect the Shaker head unit to the amp.

I bought everything on Amazon.

The Shaker headunit puts out a 12db spike at 240 khz, and a 6 db spike around 6200 khz. I always stream music over BT, so I use the equalizer of my music player to compensate.

MapmanKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
My Opinion and Recommendation is to Replace ALL: The Shaker 500 Stereo and All Speakers. It will be way Easier to replace everything, I had the Shaker 500 also. It was hard and took the longest for me to Replace the Stereo because of the Multi things that the Stereo did. I first replaced all the Speakers: Fronts with Shelby GT/Kicker Speakers, the Rear with JL Audio Speakers, Two Amps. Then Last I replaced the Shaker 500 Stereo with the Kenwood DPX500BT. I'm totally happy with the Stereo and it's Sound. The Sound is 100% more Variable. The Reason I said change all is because for a Shop or Yourself putting it together it's easier that way, changing everything, the Shaker system has too many issues and hang-ups working together with it's Original Equipment.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Iowa
I agree with just ripping it all out and starting fresh. It's a lot easier.

I did, however, keep the clarion mid bass drivers in the lower door panels. Those aren't too bad. I cut their frequency at 80 hz so they don't hurt the phase of my subwoofers though.

The stock speakers really aren't too bad. You might be able to get away with a quality head unit.

I did the head unit first. I bought a really high end one that would automatically set the equalizer and delay speakers so they all hit the driver seat at the same time. It also compensates for the reflections in the interior as well. It was almost good enough for me, almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video