So I did some research for a good stereo upgrade at a good price - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
So I did some research for a good stereo upgrade at a good price

Hi, first post here. I have a 2013 premium v6, it has the shaker 500 + navigation system. The stereo, though being a higher end system over the base 4 speaker system in a previous '13 mustang I had, is still disappointing to me. The sound is very flat and the door subs just rattle the doors with no real bass definition. As for an upgrade, I already had one in mind for the previous car but now have this one.

The setup I was thinking of at first consisted of a JBL MS-8 DSP, JL Audio 500 watt 3 channel amp, JL Audio C2 5x7 coaxial speaker for front doors, and JL Audio stealth enclosure in the trunk side corner. But this setup including wiring and install time would've cost me over $1500.

I looked around some more and figured that at the bare minimum for good aftermarket quality sound and decent output (I'm not one for shake the neighborhood noise) then do incremental upgrades afterwards is this... JBL MS-8 DSP, Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer, and Polk Audio db571 5x7 speakers for front doors. Total cost for these components plus wiring kit $750 to $800. I'm getting the JBL DSP no matter what, simple line output converters aren't going to cut it for me, because with those, you're still at the mercy of the crap frequency curve that factory radios are programmed with. Plus this JBL unit has a built amp for driving speakers.

As I understand it, a good DSP will sum up the different channels together, flatten the frequency curve, and give you the ability to customize the sound you want. This is perfect as it doesn't involve changing the factory radio nor affecting its functions in any way, especially those of us with the NAV system.

Any questions or input are welcome.

Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: California
I think it's a good setup. I was going to get the MS8 but from what I read it does better with the stock system as compared to aftermarket. I think you'll be much happier with the stuff you've chosen. It will bring it to life.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video