Moderate bass improvement: 6x9 vs basslink vs sub & amp - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Moderate bass improvement: 6x9 vs basslink vs sub & amp

I live in the Dfw area and have a 2014 base v6 mustang with a 4 speaker stereo. I installed new speakers in the front doors last year which sound great, and am looking to round out the sound with some extra bass. I currently just turn the stereo to the front speakers only.

I went to a local car audio shop today to get an estimate for a single sub, box, ax9xass for a much more reasonable cost.

I mainly listen to rock and whatever is on the radio and I want to keep the stock head unit to keep things simple. Is the best option to add a moderate amount of bass to install 6x9s in the deck, add a powered sub, or find a deal for a sub and amp?
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Not sure you'll get the gains you're looking for with 6x9s, probably the other route would be better.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
one of my buddies purchased a powered Sub with speaker level inputs and mounted it in the trunk. easypeasy way to get some extra kick w/o lots of $
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
6x9's should add some pretty decent bass to the sound, especially with an amplifier. but there is a particular depth and richness that you will need subs for, even with a small 8 inch sub. the only problem with 6x9's, at least inexpensive ones, is that if you start sending too much bass their way, they will distort. if you wanna do this in steps, try a 2channel amp and a pair of 6x9's. make sure the amp has a crossover on it, as well as an option to turn the crossover off. power the 6x9's with the crossover off. then when it comes time to add a sub, bridge the amp to the sub, and use the head unit (or speaker amp) to power the speakers.
If you are using an aftermarket head unit, set the crossover to cut off the lows (40 or 80hz and below) from the speakers so they can handle the mids and highs, and sub will handle anything below 120.

in my experience, stock head units tend to provide some more bass than aftermarket headunits, but the stock ones can only turn up so high without getting really distorted. this will give you some decent bass from 6x9's up to a certain volume.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just add a powered sub, you won't get a real noticeable difference in sound with 6x9 's over the existing 5x7/6x8 factory size at the rear deck.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That year model still takes 6x8? But yea a powered sub and some splicing would be good. Totally slipped my mind.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think they're actually 5x7 all around. Online speaker retailers always list the size as 5x7/6x8 cuz some brands make a 5x7 speaker with tabs that makes it fit 6x8 locations too.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
System

Changing all speakers and adding an Amp will improve the system sound 100%. I on the other hand, did the Total change: All speakers 6x8, door 8", 10" Sub in Trunk and Stereo itself. Two Amps in Trunk to Power all. You don't need to go that far, just change a few things at a time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video