Help adding 5 channel amp to factory base system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Help adding 5 channel amp to factory base system

I'm designing a system to add to my 2014 GT with base (4 speaker SYNC) setup.
I'm replacing all 4 speakers in stock locations and adding a trunk mounted sealed sub box with 2 10" woofers. All of this will be powered by a single 5 channel amp.

Was looking to use a PAC AOM-FRD24 interface, as I'm retaining the factory head unit.
My question is what's the best solution to add the sub channel low-level (RCA) input for the amplifier? The PAC interface allows for 4 channel outputs only.
I really would like to retain fader capability at the head unit for F/R channels with independent Sub level control (amp has remote bass level control).
If I use a line converter on the rears, will I lose/fluctuate output to sub channel when the level is decreased using the fader? Or is there a better solution maybe?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Use a high low converter and tap into the rear signal. Look into the Audiocontrol LC1, I believe. You'll also want to use a remote bass knob. If you don't use a knob you will have no way to control the volume.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

This is what you want for your bass...

LC2i 2ch Line Out Converter with AccuBASS(tm) and Subwoofer Control

Dont cheap out and buy a 20.00 one from Best Buy. If youre using the factory HU this is important. With the stock HU and speakers the bass has a roll off frequency...have you ever noticed that when you turn it up you loose bass? Thats the roll off, its to protect the speakers. The unit I posted dont have that roll off so the bass will be more consistent at louder volumes.

Also, dont be too surprised if after doing all this you still arent satisfied. The stock HU really isnt that good. There is no type of EQ'ing. Bass and treble is about the best you'll get. Is it going to sound better...probably. However, it will be louder and a little cleaner sounding. How are you hooking up the amp? Speaker level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Wasn't aware of the low-frequency roll-off (don't push the factory crap that hard), that's good info - changes my thinking on possibly using Y-adapters on rear channel RCA's.

I was planning on using the PAC interface (no stock modification to stereo) to give me the 4 channel RCA outputs and utilize factory speaker wiring (splice into PAC side speaker outputs). This would greatly simplify install without having to run new speaker wire through doors etc.
I could run the LC2i off the rear speaker outputs from the head unit and create the sub channel and still utilize existing wiring for front channels. Would just run new wire to rear speakers from the amp and sub(s).
I'm thinking now I may just delete the rears altogether and that solves my problem as well, with the added bonus of "porting" into the cabin for subs and being able to run a 4-channel amp. Rears just tend to muddy the soundstage anyway unless properly EQ'd and calibrated.
I've done quite a few car stereo designs/installs but never any real factory integration, so I appreciate the help.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

To be honest I haven't done much factory integration either. I'm not a huge fan of it unless there is no other way... It just never seems to be worth the work. However, I understand money restraints or maybe you're not that into it so you have to do what you have to do...

Good luck. If I can help you out any more feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do the best I can to help you out.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had a stereo shop add an amp to my base stereo, and a 12 inch sub. It was a night and day difference for. I also changed all 4 speakers and added tweeters.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
To be honest I haven't done much factory integration either. I'm not a huge fan of it unless there is no other way... It just never seems to be worth the work. However, I understand money restraints or maybe you're not that into it so you have to do what you have to do...

Good luck. If I can help you out any more feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do the best I can to help you out.
Money isn't really the issue, I'm going with higher-end gear. I'm just planning on sourcing and doing everything myself (except for actually building the box) and I enjoy getting the most "bang for the buck" (i.e. better performance than someone who just throws comparable $$ at a shop).
I also want to keep the stock head unit mainly for the "stealth" aspect of it, otherwise that would definitely be replaced as well - and probably will be.
Unfortunately I am "Into it", but have been out of the game for a while. I may be opening up an additional "Pandora's Box" to go along with my existing mod addiction lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnsky59 View Post
I had a stereo shop add an amp to my base stereo, and a 12 inch sub. It was a night and day difference for. I also changed all 4 speakers and added tweeters.

What equipment/speakers are you running? I'm thinking of revising my build to a single 12" sub also.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Amp is a cheap amp they installed.its a 4600x4. Front speakers are Rockford Fosgate power series, 8x6. Rears are jbl 6x8. And Rockford Fosgate tweeters. And 12 inch sub.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnsky59 View Post
Amp is a cheap amp they installed.its a 4600x4. Front speakers are Rockford Fosgate power series, 8x6. Rears are jbl 6x8. And Rockford Fosgate tweeters. And 12 inch sub.

I'm sure that's an improvement over the stock system, enjoy!
Just be aware; car audio can be just as addicting as modding these Mustangs, before you know it you may be wanting to upgrade and add more power, more subs, better speakers, new head unit, custom enclosures, high-end cables and wiring, an on and on..... lol
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Righ. I've spent about 1100 on audio. I still need my Kenwood receiver plus dash kit that's about another 1300. Oh and I wanna add a mono amp dedicated to the sub. Lol

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I'm just doing it all little by little

Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. I've still got about $6k I want to spend on a supercharger lol
Little by little...
I'm gonna TRY to do my stereo all at once, but I'm sure I'll be tweaking that as well. Can't help it.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Modding gets expensive lol

Old 02-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itcouldbebobby View Post
Yep. I've still got about $6k I want to spend on a supercharger lol
Little by little...
I'm gonna TRY to do my stereo all at once, but I'm sure I'll be tweaking that as well. Can't help it.

All at once is the best way to do it. Install it all at the same time and be done with it.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You're right about that. But I may be doing just the speakers on a 4-channel amp first. The amp I'm going to use has a low-level pass through, so that solves my original issue - I'll just be adding an additional monoblock amp and the subs. That gives me more flexibility anyway. Won't be too much extra effort either.
Think I'm going with Image Dynamics in the front, just deciding whether or not to use components or the coaxials.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itcouldbebobby View Post
You're right about that. But I may be doing just the speakers on a 4-channel amp first. The amp I'm going to use has a low-level pass through, so that solves my original issue - I'll just be adding an additional monoblock amp and the subs. That gives me more flexibility anyway. Won't be too much extra effort either.
Think I'm going with Image Dynamics in the front, just deciding whether or not to use components or the coaxials.

I love ID, they make some nice high end stuff. Definitely use comps. Get the XS57 or do the XS65 and get some 6.5 to 6x8 adapters.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I love ID, they make some nice high end stuff. Definitely use comps. Get the XS57 or do the XS65 and get some 6.5 to 6x8 adapters.
The CTX's sound so good it's hard to justify the extra ~$200+ for the XS. For my "bang for the buck" system, I'm thinking of going with the 6.5 coax. Tweeter locations are limited without permanent interior mods and the factory locations aren't too horrible. I think sealing/deadening the doors will make all the difference too.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #18

Region: North Carolina
I put an AudioControl DQ-61 in front of my 5/700 v2 JL amp and holy cow does it do the trick.
ReSQMaN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video